1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A controversial but interesting read, 31 Oct 2013
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anti-Theist (Kindle Edition)
I've always been interested in different religions and peoples reviews on religion. To me, religion is mostly the cause of many a war, so I was intrigued to find out what the author thinks atheists and anti-theists also feel.

There are many questions I asked myself whilst reading this book as it is very thought provoking. There are also many statements of fact which re-inforced my thoughts I already had on religion. I won't say what I believe (or don't believe) for fear of being too controversial. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The author himself has no qualms in upsetting anyone. He is a strong anti-theist and I admire him for that. In telling everyone about anti-theists and atheists, at times it is no worse that those preaching every day on the streets; in churches and even on social media. There are many thought provoking statements throughout and some may find them controversial.

"Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings" Richard Dawkins.

An Atheist - A disbelief in the existence of a deity and the doctrine that there is no deity. Basically a disbelief in a God, any God.

A Theist - Believes in one form of God or another who has a direct hand in the course of the life of the believer. A personal "God" who lives in the sky and watches them; loves them and judges them; who they are willing to die for and in some cases kill for.

Agnostics - People who aren't sure. They're on the fence and don't know whether there is or isn't a God.

"Isn't an agnostic just an atheist without balls?" Stephen Colbert

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" George Carlin.

I think the author is very opinionated. His views are very strong at times. I did think, he's no better than those that knock on my front door and try and preach their religion to me. (Please don't try it as you won't be welcomed in). However, this is what makes the book powerful. I'm not sure how many religious people will read the book, but I think they should.

I have read books on Buddhism, Seikhism, Judaism, Christianity and more as I like to be informed. None of the books have changed my mind and just re-inforced what I think. This book did the same. Four stars for me, only because I found bits of it repetitive but I did enjoy the debate.

Read this book if you dare! Anti-Theist

Anti-Theist