4.0 out of 5 stars good iron...but uncomfortable to use
Published 7 months ago by machinecode

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a beast ... and quite a thirsty one
Published 3 months ago by Michelle E.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a beast ... and quite a thirsty one, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Tefal FV9640 Ultimate Anti Calc Steam Iron (Kitchen & Home)
Having had Tefal irons for years and each one since my original ultraglide packed in after 10+ years lasting less and less time, the last before this only 18 months before it gave up in a cloud of hissing limescale eruption, I decided enough was enough and they were getting no more of my hard earned. I replaced with a cheaper steam iron with the idea that if it's only lasting a year, it's all I'm willing to pay. It didn't even make the year and quite frankly, it was rubbish! So once again I found myself trawling through reviews looking for something that would do the job, would stand up to the extremely hard water in my area with as much help in the anti calc dept as possible, wouldn't break the bank, had good reviews and hopefully not send the electricity meter into hysterics.

I short listed three - a bosch, a phillips and very grudgingly, this one.

Eventually after much umming and ahhhing, it was the ultimate anti calc that swung the decision with that removable collection tray as no matter how strictly I've followed cleaning guidelines in the past, I've always ended up with an iron full of limescale flakes which I believe have caused corrosion in the internal workings, resulting in leaks and rather alarming electrical buzzes and pops ending with the complete meltdown.

So with a very vehement warning to Tefal (well the computer screen anyway) that this is their final chance, I ordered this beasty.

This has got to be the biggest, chunkiest iron I've seen! It's pretty darned heavy and at first feels a bit awkward and clumsy. My first impressions weren't all that flattering to be honest and I'm still wavering between love it and hate it.

I really dislike the water spray being there under the handle, I often squeeze it by accident on picking it up, standing it up and just simply changing grip on changing direction of ironing as the way that is comfiest for me to hold the iron is with my index/trigger finger wrapped around the handle at that point. My last tefal had the burst of steam there which was ok as I used it more often and I think perhaps the handle was longer and slimmer than on this one, much comfier and I rarely pressed it by accident.
Next is the fact that where the dark purple section meets the lighter purple section, as you can see in the pictures, on the front curve of the handle and down on towards the steam control and shot of steam button, the seam is fairly prominent and definitely not smooth, in fact it rubs something awful on the pad and side of your finger depending on your grip.
Then comes the flex - for the first while, it does seem to have relaxed a bit now, the flex guide does tend to pop up vertical as you manoeuvre around a garment which for me rubbed the rather rough flex at the pulse point of my wrist.

So after a mammoth catch up session - given the fact that my old iron conked out as I switched it on to start on the weekend's laundry pile of 3 basket loads - I had a raw patch on my wrist, red indentations on my fingers and probably the beginnings of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and tendonitis, as you can imagine, I wasn't exactly thrilled!

It's saving grace is that it really is the best at it's job I can remember using, powers through piles of ironing with ease and what's more, things STAY ironed! Have you had that experience where you iron something and then lift it up to fold or hang and think "hang on, I just ironed that, what's with all the dimples and wrinkles?" So you iron again, pressing harder and turning up the steam or heat. So far that hasn't happened with this, I've kept the setting at mid- cotton and medium steam with the occasional reduction for a delicate and it's dealt with everything with no fuss, hissy fits or sudden releases of water.

As for water consumption.... I used a one litre jug so I could keep track and in 3 hours with those setting of low to medium cotton and middle steam I used two and a half litres. Keeping in mind I was ironing everything from Polyester school blazers to shirts to jeans and t-shirts to football kits etc so occasional shots of steam , not to mention a fair few accidental squirts of water.

To give an idea of the scale function, I took out the collection tray and found there to be a surprising mount of scale flakes in there. Well I say surprising but given the problems I've had with showers and kettles not to mention the ever decreasing lifespan as previously mentioned of irons, perhaps not so surprising!

I have used the iron for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be getting easier to use as the flex has relaxed and I'm more used to the thicker handle etc but I'm still getting the chafe from the seam and with prolonged use, it really does make my wrist ache due to the weight and I'm no delicate little thing.

Only time will tell now if the ultimate anti calc lives up to it's name and manages to make it past the end of it's guarantee period and I will update accordingly if it doesn't.

Overall I think the iron deserves 3.5 stars (somewhere between "it's ok" and "I like it")as the lack of consideration in the design of the handle and control positioning is a major minus to what had the potential to be one of the best irons for doing it's intended job well that I've ever used. I can't really deduct for the weight and water consumption as I'm inclined to think that these are major contributors to the great performance but other may disagree with that.

Hope that people find some useful info within my ramblings ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars good iron...but uncomfortable to use, 19 Dec 2013
This is an excellent iron. It is heavy, helps get through the ironing quickly. My initial reaction to using this is that the main downside to this iron , is the ergonomic design. The location of the water spray trigger (under the handle) and the location/design of the temperature setting, is not ideal. When you grip the iron, you can accidentally flick the temperature setting and you also cannot grip the handle comfortably as the water spray trigger gets in the way. Which means when you are ironing you are trying to hold the iron at the back of the handle which makes it uncomfortable. (hence 4 stars not 5)

Plus side, lots of steam + power, glides through the ironing no problem.

Will be keeping the iron though.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 2 Nov 2013
L. Ireland "L. Ireland" (Northern Ireland.....UK) - See all my reviews
THIS HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST IRONS ON THE MARKET. GLIDES AND GIVES PLENTY OF STEAM FOR LINNENS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iron for hard water areas, 19 May 2014
I am always buying new irons due to living in an area where the water is so hard . It is very easy to clean the anti calc compartment very pleased with the delivery nice and prompt .

5.0 out of 5 stars My second Tefal iron, 26 Dec 2013
E. Gibbs (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
A very good steam iron. My last Tefal iron filled from the bottom which wasn't easy. This one fills from the top. I like the variable steam choice for different dampness of clothes.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL DONE TEFAL, 12 Dec 2013
I all ways have Tefal irons ( I will not use anything else ), My old iron suddenly stopped working so I looked on Amazon and saw this iron. So I thought that I would get it and give it a try and all though it was a bit more money than I normally pay. It is worth every penny, ironing is much easier now and it is no longer a chore that I had become to hate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my last Tefal iron, 6 Jan 2014
I previously had the tefal jeans iron which I used constantly for just over 4 years and was devastated when it broke. I purchased this iron and it is even better than the last. I have tried other irons in the past but would only buy tefal now. The only small thing I can say is that it is quite heavy, my last one was also but this is a bit heavier, although after a few uses I soon became used to it and for me it isn't a problem as the ironing part is so easy and efficient, I do have a disability and am still able to use it with ease. I would definitely recommend this iron well done tefal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 2 Jun 2014
Just one word Excellent!! After doing a lot of research on different makes and model felt this was the best and my decision is correct.. Really happy with this product..

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab !!!!!!, 30 May 2014
The iron did take a while to arrive!!!! But I am so glad it did worth the wait.
I will mention first the slight disappointments that I have with my purchase:- the iron is very expensive compared to many, so was surprised to find no water filler/container for steaming. Water tank not very big and does seen to use a lot of water.
It does feel a little bit heavy even without water, but once you get going,you don't seem to notice.
BUT in saying that I am very happy with my purchase. Must admit I am not a big lover of ironing (but who is)!!! The iron tackles the driest of materials and gets rid of creases easily, even pure cotton items look pristine!!!! With many items especially t-shirts you only need to iron one side, therefore less ironing time, always a bonus. Purple too my fav colour. I have to say its a pleasure to iron!!!! My dog likes it too - even when steaming!!! My old iron would make quite a bit of noise when steaming - this one does make a noise but not as bad, so even the dog will stay in the same room when he sees it - rather than running for the hills -ha ha. Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh joy! Well as much as can be derived from an iron, 29 May 2014
Having dropped my trusty Bosch iron I couldn't find another Bosch with top reviews. I have never owned a Tefal appliance but so far so good.

Today I have caught up with a week of ironing and I can honestly say this iron really lives up to promises:

- The sole plate is super smooth and definitely glides more smoothly than any other I have used
- The contestant steam function is brilliant for cottons and dry linens giving a professional finish
- constant steam can be used as steamer so can refresh clothing that needs a press but not a clean or wash
- The tip is really pointy which is great for fiddly bits

Only small quibbles:

- I think it is a bit on heavy side
- constant steam does mean frequent refills
- the spray function is just where you fingers curl under so easy to accidentally spray

Overall, initial impression is great iron especially if you have lots of cottons and linens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›