4.6 out of 5 stars2,032
Size: 2 TBColour Name: BlackChange

Size: 2 TBColour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Doesn't the word 'ultra' in a product name just raise your expectations and make you wonder what's so 'ultra' instead of 'ordinary'? I already own the 'ordinary' version of this drive, the WD My Passport 2TB Drive, so I was especially curious. At first it seems the main difference is that the Ultra comes with a copy of SmartWare, a backup utility that can sync your computer's files keeping copies on the Ultra drive and also on your Dropbox account too. However (unless I missed something) you only get a month's free trial using the full feature set and if you want to continue using the Dropbox facility, for example, you'll have to pay a fee. That's a bit un-ultra. The drive also comes with a pair of WD utilities already on it, one for configuring and checking the drive and one for securing the content using encryption - however these are freely downloadable for use with any My Passport drive so they hardly qualify as ultra either. Physically both drives are the same size with a well-finished plastic case (it might look like metal but it isn't) and a solid feel but the Ultra version has its USB-3 port slightly to the right-side instead of the left and the port is 'upside-down' - as if the innards had been flipped over. However, there is another much more important difference, the speed of data transfer, and the Ultra just beats the standard Passport drive. For me it's testing about 10MB/s faster than the ordinary My Passport drive (when they're connected via USB3), which is about a 10% speed advantage. So maybe that's just enough to justify the Ultra moniker?

In most other respects it seems like the same drive, which is no bad thing, with a compact easily-transportable size and thoughtful details like little rubber nodules on the underside which stop it rattling on a hard surface whilst in use. There are specially moulded hard cases available from WD if you need to carry it around with you but I made do with an AmazonBasics Hard Black Carrying Case for My Passport which fits the drive well with room left for a USB cable and even, with a slight squeeze, another slim-line drive too. The drive utility has some useful options like the ability to set the Sleep timer in the drive to prevent it spinning down at inopportune moments while attached to a desktop computer, or to try to maximise battery life when used with your laptop - bearing in mind there's no mains adaptor with this drive, it draws the power it needs from the USB connection. Speaking of sleep, this drive will never interrupt yours - it's very quiet, almost silent, in operation and if it wasn't for the little white LED which flashes whilst it's in use you'll sometimes wonder if it's actually doing anything. There are dedicated 'turbo' drivers available too, for both Windows and Mac OS X, but I didn't find they made all that much difference and for general use everything you need is already in your operating system with no need to install anything extra. If you need to squeeze every megabit of speed out of your external drive then perhaps it's worth spending a bit extra to get the Ultra, otherwise either drive is well-made, nippy and very portable - what else could you ask for?
88 comments476 of 497 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2015
Bought two of these little drives - one to backup my PC, and the other to replace the USB sticks I use to play stuff on my TV.
As I'd only had USB2 external media before, I never bothered with proper backups as they took too long (!) and while I use USB sticks to transfer stuff from my PC to play on the TV, I was finding that the trend to HD was making TV episodes etc take up more space and a 32GB stick is just way too small.

The main attractions were that these disks are high-capacity - I spent a few pounds more and got the 2GB versions, support USB3 and are tiny, good-looking things that won't be an eyesore on my desk. The majority of external disks are a pound or two cheaper and would look more at home in Steptoe and Son's yard.

I'm not a fan of built-in software, so I formatted the disks on my PC before doing anything else. This means they're just normal hard disks now with no fancy stuff on that I don't need and I can just drag and drop stuff as and when I like. (Just plug the device into your PC, go to My Computer, right click on the drive and select Format. Ten seconds later, you're done).

I used a free little program called Flashbench to see how fast the disk was compared with my USB sticks and it showed on average to be reading and writing five times as fast, which is about what you'd expect (peaking at 105MB/sec for read and 88 MB/sec for write). For files of a Gigabyte or so, it doesn't feel a lot slower than my regular built in hard disks, though I guess this will vary from user to user. Anyway, there's none of the long long wait I get when putting stuff onto USB2 sticks, so that's fine for me.

The supplied USB3 cable is about a foot/30cm long, so will probably be fine if you're plugging this into a laptop. But as there's a run of a metre or so from the back of my desktop PC to my desk, I had to get a USB3 extension cable. Only a couple of pounds, but I wish I'd known I needed it and I could have bought it with the drive. And make sure you get a USB3 cable - a USB2 one won't have all the internal connections.

I bought a red one and a blue one, and both are very compact, neat and attractive. They don't look like disk drives at all, and unless your desk is a complete tip, you'll appreciate the design over some of the other monstrosities that cost a few pounds less.

So in summary, it's fast, good looking, works well and has a 30cm cable. If you're looking for an external USB3 drive, I'd recommend this one.

Forgot to add that if you're using it to play video on your TV via a USB slot, then this disk is self-powered and doesn't need plugging into the mains. However one USB slot on my TV didn't deliver enough power to drive it and I had to solve the problem by buying a Dual Input USB power cable which allows you to take power from two USB slots on the TV while playing back to only one of them. Works a treat, but again I wish I'd known about it earlier. Here is the item on Amazon :
0Comment53 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
I bought this for use with the recent Xbox One update which allows external storage. To be honest I wasn't sure if it'd work but I can confirm it does and is a great little HDD. It does have a constant glowing/pulsing light that does seem bright in complete darkness but its small enough you tuck it behind the console and its not noticeable. It's really simple just plug into the console then switch console on. It'll ask to format the HDD and takes seconds. It'll pop up a notification when done.
11 comment100 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
External storage was always significantly slower than internal .. that is until USB 3 drives became available. WD have been on the forefront in offering affordable and reliable drives, so I did not hesitate a second to hit the buy button as soon as I spotted this HDD.

The drive is very fast and build quality is great. The red coloured one looks great too!
Backup conscious users will be pleased to find WD Smartware Pro software which works a treat.

One qualm I have is the shortish cable on offer, as I use this on a desktop. But then again, if it were longer one could argue that it would not fit the protective cases supplied for these drives. I also got the Amazon basics case which is good value and fits the drive plus cable easily.

The WD 2TB is plug and play, (as expected) and current is drawn through the supplied USB3 cable which aids portability.

This offering is covered by a 1 year warranty and comes bundled with "WD SmartWare Pro automatic back-up software".

I highly recommend this drive to anyone wanting reliable, portable and affordable external storage.
22 comments9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2015
I've have several hard drives in the past for all of my movies and stuff but always steered away from WD because of their prices compared to other manufacturers. I got this on deal with a case and it's probably the fastest one i've ever used. And it doesn't look too bad either!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 October 2013
The first thing I noticed about this drive is how small it is - about the same size as similar external 1TB drives of last year.

It is also very quiet.

But:

It runs quite hot, hotter than similar 1TB drives I have.

The supplied USB cable is far too short - If you have a tower case on the floor with only rear USB sockets this cable just isn't going to do it for you.

There is no power cable - this is host powered. This is good but your usb set up may not supply enough power to keep this drive going. On the first use I transferred 1 TB of data to it and twice it unilaterally disconnected itself from my PC and reconnected resulting in me having to restart the transfer process. This may be caused by a lack of power or it may just be a reliability issue.

Speed wise I have had some fast peaks - up to 160MB/s but often it will average only 45 - 60MB/s.

The supplied software is, as with most external hard drives, best avoided.

Overall it is a compact useful storeage device
11 comment79 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2014
Small, Fast (120Mb/Sec), reliable, a must have.
review image review image
on 12 August 2015
The initial impression of the WD's My Passport Ultra drive was very positive. First of all the drive worked with decent transfer rates... that is until it stopped working pretty much at all. Recently the disk's response rate became so slow that it is non-operational and Windows rarely detects it. If it does, the transfer rates are in single bits per minute!!! Apparently, this is a very common problem with this disks so, if you're looking to store your data safely somewhere, please look elsewhere. (I guess, in a way your data would be safe as it would take the life of the universe to read it back ;-))

I am about to contact WD and will report on how this goes.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2015
After working perfectly (even after reformatting for Mac) for about 2 months the hard drive completely stopped working- it randomly quits and hen only shows up occasionally on all devices, I've tried other macs and PCs. When it does occasionally appear it is painfully slow and will not save any files, any attempt to do this and it quits again. I have tried all online advice, changing the cable, trying different computers. But all to no avail and it has caused me tremendous problems at work as I am a teacher and have all my lessons on there and can no longer plan from home!!
on 12 July 2015
WD My Passport Ultra is well-made USB3.0 portable hard disk, compatible with USB2.0 as well, that can be recommended.
It comes in different colors although I liked the most its unusual red shade.

Disk is providing 5400rpm but provides better performance than competition - depending on file size reading speed will be from minimum 50 MB/s (smaller) up to the 100 MB/s (bigger) that is much better reading speed than on some other HDs I used.
Writing speed is also good, ranging from 22 MB/s for smaller size up to the 90 MB/s for bigger size files.

Buyer has option to purchase model with additional backup software or if you're not in need for such bundled software, it can be saved around 10 -20 dollars depending on seller.

There are 3 applications included:
- Smartware is a good backup program that can be used for backup continuously in the background or can be scheduled depending on HD's purpose and how often user is plan to use it. There is also an option to backup files to a Dropbox account, although only 2GB are free, for more you'll need to open account and pay for it.
- Second app is WD Security that can be used for files password protection for data that is on HD
- Last one is WD Drive Utilities that provides simple S.M.A.R.T. reports and enables user to adjust amount of time before HD will go to sleep mode

Overall, WD My Passport Ultra is very good USB3.0 portable HD that can be fully recommended both for its speed and software.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse