Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 3 May 2016
A 55 year old widow showing she still had a life by moving home, changing job and starting internet dating. Her family keep getting in the way of her plans and she deals with everything thrown at her with humour and independence. I see all of her problems and solutions around me with myself and my friends and our families - it was comforting. I wish she had been English, and not so rich and not so thin, (this was the only problem common to a lot of this age group not dealt with) Sometimes the American geography, habits and customs were hard to imagine but it did not spoil the book.
on 16 November 2015
Ex lawyer decides to downsize and then a job offer falls through. Her youngest child moves back home with his girlfriend. Her hateful mother needs to move in too when she can no longer cope. Scenarios which have the potential to make an intriguing story. But no. Did I mention that she has plenty of money, so losing a job doesn't mean her new home is taken from her; her son and his girlfriend are lurvley, hyper-intelligent people so the only problem is a certain amount of minor messiness in the kitchen. Only the slightly demented mother makes any attempt to spoil this woman's lifestyle but with her wealth and connections I'm sure that will soon be sorted out. A daughter wanting only a 'small' wedding is another one of this woman's worries ( she would prefer more than the planned 60 guests - when I think small I imagine couple plus two witnesses pulled off the street). Any time things could get a bit tricky for the protagonist, they don't. I'm only finishing this book because I don't like to leave it halfway but unless you need something to help you get to sleep, I don't recommend you bother to start it.
on 3 January 2014
I liked the fact that the characters were real people. I loved the mother, (a bit like mine). It really occupied me.
on 16 November 2014
No real plot as such, just the rambling thoughts of the main character. I sped read an awful lot waiting to get to the 'good' bits and then got to the end and realised there weren't actually any 'good' bits.
on 5 December 2015
This book was a very interesting read, laugh out loud funny in some places, very realistic about events within a family arena, although the characters did appear to be quite affluent financially, so no real money worries to upset them all...we all have at least one eccentric family member to deal with. And how many of us, as we get older in years, dream of what might have been if we had chosen another path in life?
on 23 December 2015
This book is different from the ones I usually read, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like sitting round a table with friends chatting about all the ways life is turning out differently from what one expected it to do. However, going with what turns up is no bad thing.
on 20 November 2014
Other reviewers made me think this was worth reading but, to be honest, it's about as gripping as a bus time table. I guess this is supposed to be a peep into the lives of well off, middle-class professionals in the USA, but I just couldn't believe in it. Huge family reunions gathering at Mum's house every Saturday night for pasta? Come on! Surely grown up offspring actually want to do something more exciting with their weekends than eat spaghetti. There's even an bad-tempered old granny living in the basement. Sorry - read it on the beach if you don't want anything to tax your brain.
on 21 November 2014
Just when you thought your life was settling down nicely and your future was settled...everything turns out differently.
Not one but two men are now in your life and you need to make a choice. Jake, the first love who left you reeling and who you never quite got over. Edward, a charming and fun new man who has endless possibilities... Who will Kate choose?
All this is interspersed with everyday family life and a family who had left home and we're now returning to take up residence!
A good, easy read and some fun moments. Not an exciting story, more of a pleasant experience but certainly well written.
on 14 November 2014
I wasn't sure if this was a story for me to read but I'm really glad I did such a Lovely story refreshing to read about the more mature people of this world and it was so full of every ones lives and a very hectic one she lived too. At parts of her journey I thought I knew who she would settle down with but then thought it would be to obvious so with out giving it away who she chose I think the right man one
on 28 March 2015
Although nothing really happens here, it doesn't happen in an interesting and entertaining way. Characters are convincing, details are rich and dialogue is crisp. Maybe some focus on a character other than the narrator would have added variety as the story started to drag in the middle.