5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read
What happens when three young people encounter abusive relationships is sensitively explored. Makes me appreciate having a strong family background.
Published 6 months ago by Lynette Ottley

1.0 out of 5 stars Ooh no!
Published 11 months ago by Creamie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Ooh no!, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I've loved all the KGI books up to this point but this wasn't the Donovan I remember!! It was sickly sweet and too much time was spent with Donovan going on about how Eve, Travis and Cammie were his family (after 2 days) and he was never giving them up. I agree with the other reviewer it was a bit creepy how quick it all happened. Donovan just seemed a bit obsessive! Even the love scenes seemed passionless! I actually started skipping pages and don't get me started on the epilogue!!! I'm so, so disappointed with this as Donovan has always been my favourite Kelly brother and I was so looking forward to his story. I just don't feel this book did him any justice at all!! Such a shame because the book started out so well and then just seemed to get lost! I'm just hoping Swanny's story is better then this or I might just give up :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
This is the latest in the KGI series. Sadly it fails on so many levels. There is little in the way of suspense and action, that we are used to. Romantically Donovan is quite pathetic, and not much of a hero. His relationship with our young heroine is far too rushed and contrived. It just doesn't work. Van should not be trying to rush a traumatised girl he hardly knows into a long term relationship. He might be a family man, but it smacks of loser desperation. And don't get me started on the Stepford wives or the Kellys and their gushy niceness. One to give a miss to!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good stuff but some definitely less good, 9 Jan 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
It was nice to read a KGI novel set in a more domestic world than usual. There was no rushing around the world and saving people from sinister gangs here but a story of an abused family on the run from an evil man who are helped by the KGI "family". The book starts very well with the boy Travis coming to the attention of Rusty and her brother Donovan, and a tornado providing an additional threat. All this is fine until Donovan saves the small family (Travis, his elder sister Eve and a young child, Cammie) and takes them back to the KGI compound.

There are two things which grated on me here - the first is that Donovan decides that Eve will be his lifelong partner almost instantly, and the second was that the whole "family" thing was so sweet that it almost made my teeth ache.

Donovan decides that these three people are his forever family without really knowing them for any length of time and we soon have the obligatory sex scenes between himself and Eve. Although the author is very clear that it is consensual it didn't feel that way to me. I just couldn't see how a much younger, traumatised woman could make that sort of lifetime decision so easily. I also got really, really tired of Donovan's gushing about love, how he wants them to be a family, how he has waited for them all his life, etc. etc. - it just didn't ring true given the short amount of time that had elapsed.

The Kelly brothers and their wives all feature. They are all really happy and producing children. They rally round wonderfully and totally support Donovan and his guests. They are all so nice that it is tiresome - I really miss the feisty Rusty from the early books. Even Eve, Travis and Cammie are afflicted with the sweetness condition. There is no tension here and little believability, and the villain of the book doesn't get much time to insert a bit of nastiness to offset the sugar.

The plot is OK but towards the end Travis does one thing which is never properly explained - probably because the author couldn't work out either how he actually did it. You know what the resolution will be from the beginning. Resnick is called in to spirit away the consequences of all the unlawful acts that they all commit (I miss his abrasive nature too).

This started well but it did go downhill very fast and there were long sections which were horrendously saccharine and sentimental. I wish that the tension had been stronger and that Donovan had not been so mushy.

2.0 out of 5 stars So disapointed, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I have read all the books in this series so automatically bought this one and expected to enjoy it, as I have the others.
I was sadly disappointed and found it really difficult to get through the book it was so bad. Defiantly not worth the money. I did like Donovan and the kids but that was about it. The story was slow with no action. The dialogue awful and unrealistic. They fell in love at the practically immediately, without much in the way of background. Also eve was a drip, all ways crying with no depth of character.
I generally enjoy these book so I am not happy to write a bad review but would want anyone to buy the book thinking they are getting the normal action packed romance. Give this one a miss and try one of the previous in the series

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 14 Jan 2014
GINGERBELL (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge fan of the KGI series but this book was such a let down! No KGI action and what happened to Donovan? He is nothing like he was in the previous books. The story boarded on weird with Donovan's obsession with Eve & her family after only two days!. Will pre-order next book in the series, hopefully it will be better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I love KGI series, always loved Donovan but sort of left me wanting in this book. Just lacked in most area's. As a lead "hero" he was weak... didn't really save anyone from anything. But in saying this, I still had soft spot for Van.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved KGI normally, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I loved all the KGI series and I was really looking forward to this one , it was a good read but I think it had a bit of a weak ending

1.0 out of 5 stars nauseating, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
What the heck has happened here? This series was one I really genuinely enjoyed and I'd pre-ordered the book before it was published..... That's how much I was looking forward to it. There is something called 'suspension of disbelief' ([...]) where a decent story has to be believable. This story is completely unbelievable in its pace and just nauseating and bordering on slightly creepy with Donovan's obsession with Eve. I kept thinking that surely the heroine would wake up and realise his is not normal behaviour. The romance was just so coy and clingy, I felt myself getting itchy and skim-read through some of the extraneous scenes. Blegh!

Then towards the final bit, there are blatant gaps in the story.....like the author couldn't be bothered to write them. I won't do spoilers, however I'm seriously unhappy here. I'm almost wondering if she's let someone else write this as there such a different tone to this one to the others.....

I really hope the author will pull all the stops out for Rusty's story..... Let's finish the series on a high note please.

1.0 out of 5 stars I think MB has lost interest in this series. *SPOILERS* I mean, a non-starter of a romance,/a baddie who conveniently gets ..., 9 Jan 2014
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After the Storm (A KGI Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
offed/a non-alpha male lead in love with the idea of love, picket fences, 2.5 kids and the obligatory rose-tinted HEA/an overdosed, catatonic woman who comes to without any medical intervention and who so unrealistically totally has her wits about her/a teen who goes through a traumatic experience that he'll have to live with for the rest of the life, and he needs no counselling? Really?

I had high hopes for this tale making me fall back in love with the KGI series after the disappointment that was PJ's (not-really-KGI tale), but the blurb promised much that the author didn't deliver. I got the impression that MB's erotica titles bring in more money, so that's what she's concentrating on, as this was formulaic and lazy, rushed and came across as insincere.

It started off well with Rusty helping Travis, a 15yo desperately in need of money and food, then finding out that he, his 4yo sister, Cammie, and 24yo half-sister Eve, are on the run. But then, Donovan made an appearance, seemingly fell in love with the idea of a ready-made family and bulldozed his way into their lives. Yes, the three needed help desperately, and KGI certainly gave them that, but Donovan's brothers Sam and Garrett actually felt the need to take him to a side to talk to him about his insta-love and yet he didn't see it. Donovan wasn't really even driven by hormones or overly protective instincts, but it felt rather, that he was in love with the idea of the perfect family. On top, the protectiveness of all of the males in the Kelly family seemed OTT and gushy-fake; I just couldn't see hardened, ex-military types acting so soft - with their own wives and kids, yes, but not with strangers, so totally instantly.

Eve should have been far, far more traumatised by what she'd been through both mentally and physically to trust Donovan when the guy told her he wanted her, and (a bit creepily) called her 'darling Eve' just 24hrs after meeting her and then proceeded to sleep with her and to inform her that he was her first and last lover.

Travis committed an act that was deserved, but there is no way someone aged 15 could do this and then be persuaded to lie about it, so as not to take the blame, and be OK with it without the need for any counselling; this was just glossed over. Oh, and how he managed to hijack a plane was never explained...

As for Cammie, well, she was so sugary-sweet that it was almost teeth-clenchingly painful to read her words, her actions, her mannerisms, and Donovan's babying of her was OTT. I mean, so OTT that if I were Eve, I'd have been a bit worried. And, from what was inferred, the poor little thing needed to be examined by a doctor, which just got glossed over.

Of course, despite all the assurances of protection and the resources of KGI, Eve just had to eavesdrop and have a TSTL moment and let herself be taken and abused by the baddie, hence the catatonia, but hey, she made a miracle recovery, and all of this took place over two short chapters.

This tale came across a bit family saga-ish, as it seemed that all 4 main characters were searching for a family, security and something to make them feel better. I didn't feel or read the love between Eve and Donovan; I didn't even feel or read the lust between them, as...well...there just wasn't any, really. As for Travis suddenly stating, without even meeting Marlene or Frank, 'let's go meet our grandparents', and Cammie calling Donovan 'dad', and Marlene gushing about her 'grandson' in the epilogue, was a bit fingers-down-the-throat for me. And the big family meeting that was called to make a huge announcement that Marlene had a bee in her bonnet over? Soooo OTT and anticlimactic.

All in all, I think Eve and Donovan had about 1.5 pages of solo time to talk, in which he persuaded her into bed, about 4 pages of love scenes, and that was their time together til she got rescued, so where the romance and the love was meant to stem from I don't know. There was more passion in the setting of Rusty's burgeoning love story with Sean, the local cop. OK, he sounded a bit up himself with his bossiness and stereotypical OTT protectiveness, which then morphed into a passionate kiss that he immediately apologised for, but at least you could see something building between them, but not with Donovan and Eve. There simply wasn't any passion between them, and I felt that he saw her as a means to an end to get the fairy tale HEA he'd always wanted - he is actually shown to be envious of his brothers. Eve's TSTL moment actually stemmed from just this very thing, and I can't blame her. Can I actually be brave enough to say that I found Donovan a bit creepy in his desire to have Cammie in his life, to be his daughter (which is quite an irony when the baddie's deeds are revealed, and why the editor didn't throw this bit out, I can't fathom) and him telling her, 'I love you too, sweetheart' when she innocently told him that she loved him, which came after knowing each other for approximately 2 days? *Shudder*

I wish I'd waited for this to come out at the library instead of rushing to buy it. It is well-written (though neither MB or her editor spotted that Eve was called Maren at one point), and there is a tale there, but it's a tale that didn't deliver and didn't know what it was meant to be, or what it wanted to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just family, 10 Jun 2014
KGI series is really very good and easy for be in the world of love and lot of actions. After every page , I just could not dropit till i readi it all. So, this book is for everyone who want to be drown in this realistic world but full of love, trust and wharm of family love.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›