on 13 February 1999
One of the fields that attracts me the most in magick is indeed the use of candles, and I've been practicing it for quite some years now, so I thought at first this book would give me nothing new. I was wrong. This is a perfect guide to understand and introduce yourself to candle magick. Most valuable of all is the fact that gives both the ancient and the modern versions of every spell. If you're interested in candle magick, get this book and you won't regret it... no matter what "some" fanatic christians may say!
on 11 November 1998
A very good book for beginners, it shows everything that you need to know about how to perform the spell. And it makes it clear that you don't have to follow the spell's incantations to the "t" and that it actually works best if you personalize it.
on 8 August 1998
I've had Ray's Practical Candle Burning Rituals on my shelf for a time now. This book offers great insight on the practice of candle burning. True to his expertise Ray has submitted a great book to Llywellyn's catalog. Though some of the rituals may seem lame to some I've found that almost every ritual in this book has been deemed useful. It's also great because Ray gave two versions of almost every ritual , "The Christianized and The Old Religion" so that's what makes this book so interesting.
on 2 May 1999
Buckland's book, Practical Candle Burning Rituals, is great for doing any type ritual he has mentioned. It also is two sided...given you a Christian version for non-Witches and a Pagan side for Witches/Wiccans/Pagans to use.The directions are easy to follow and if you follow the directions that he has set for timing, moon phases, and use the appropriate colors your spell should work for you.I refer back to his book many times when I am teaching my students...especially when they want to know the appropriate colors and altar layouts for candle spells.The way Buckland has written this book is what works for him..there is no law that says you can not improvise your own words into the rituals he has written to make them work for you.Excellent book...easy rituals and great results!
on 8 June 1999
When I first got this book I didn't believe in Magick. After the first spell I did I trully believed in it because it works. I never thought it would actully work. Every day, I work on Magick and try to get stronger while practicing. I will continue doing this for the rest of my life.
on 2 January 1998
Although the spells are fair, this is a book with very little substance. Buckland packages Psalms with a few quickie-spell words of his own. There is very little here that other authors on magic haven't done 100 times better.
Try Spells and How They Work (Farrar & Farrar) or Real Magic (Bonewits) or Living Wicca (Cunningham) if you want the real thing.
on 1 November 2007
The quality of the spells ore quite good. I dindn't like two things though: the first one is the actual layout of the book, it looks very dated; the second is the fact that each spell after the title goes directly into the ritual, I would have liked to see an introduction first.
I found this book quite informative and, as the title says, practical, but as I am only a beginner I don't know what it meant by petitioners candles. It did not provide any information to describe and explain what petitioners candles are, so as a result I can not perform any of the rituals properly. If anybody could e-mail me and explain, i would be very much obliged. Apart from that, I feel that the book was actually quite good.
on 28 October 1997
The book was extremely useful and down to earth. It was simple to understand and it had two versions for every spell. One from Psalms and the other for modern day. It was entertaining as well as informative. It is a definite must buy. It has spells for everything from Meditation to Gaining Power over others. It was my first book of this sort and I've had no need to buy any other on Candleburning. Thumbs up to Ray Buckland for such a fascinating book.
on 24 March 1998
I'm into witchcraft and candles and everything, and I think that this is a really great book!! Especially for anyone interested in candles and candleburning rituals, etc..... There is a lot of good and interesting things in it and, it is fun to read. It is one of my four candlemagic and witchcraft books. I also have Raymond Buckland's book Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft, it is another great book!!!! If I find any other books by this author I think I will definatley get it!!!!