4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories The USA
Published on 18 Oct. 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best horrible history book I've read.
I'm a huge fan of Mr.Dearys works and how he gives us the negative side to history. Well I lived in the US all my life and I know much more about my history than Mr.Deary does. When he was talking about the Confederate General Robert E. Lee he said something about him being 6ft tall. But really he's 5ft 7 and has a record for being the shortest US general. I know most of...
Published on 5 Dec. 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories The USA, 18 Oct. 2010
A Kid's Review
I recommend this book because it is very funny but its also a very good way to learn about the history of The USA.As soon as my eyes hit the pages they would never come off the book,it was so good that I had read for the whole weekend.This book would have to be the best book I have ever read. I would recommend this book for 8-10 years old.So if you know someone that likes to read and would like to learn about The USA this book I would recommend for you to buy it for them. It is a good book for kids and to learn about the history in writing and sometimes cartoon pictures and a easy way for them to learn about the history in a fun way without them knowing.Thats why I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, even for Americans!, 14 Sept. 2006
I am American and we lived in the UK for 5 years. Right after we first moved there, we bought our son the book, The Groovy Greeks. It kept him entertained through a nearly three hour bus ride and he kept going back to it, so we knew we'd found a winner. My son has enjoyed all of Terry Deary's books and still reads them even though he's 13 now. I'd recommend The USA because a lot of American history that American kids are taught in school is a lot of "America is the greatest country in the world" propaganda. This is, needless to say, less biased in that area without being too anti-American. More importantly, it's an interesting and amusing book so kids will want to read it. I wish these books were easier to find in the states.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book series, 30 Jan. 2013
I like the series, they are funny and tell some of the lesser told parts of history.
One have to remember that they are written for 10-15 year old-ish.
the author have said that it is difficult not to write something wrong, because the first constants used to be considered the truth, but by the time the rest of the book had been written, those truths had been disproved.
Also a good theme in the books is that you shouldn't always believe what a historian have written, because the winner writes the history.

4.0 out of 5 stars quite graphic, 24 Feb. 2015
Very interesting book. I bought it, along with Vicious Vikings, with the intention of giving it to a nine-year-old. I felt the vikings book was suitable, as it doesn't get into too many gory details, but still sparks an interest in adventuresome vikings as traders, explorers, and warlike people of their time. The US book is good too, but even reading it myself I was a bit overwhelmed by the massacres of native Americans and mass deaths of the civil war. For an older child I think this would be a good book, but I wouldn't recommend for nine-year-old. Stories of brutal deaths of infants and cannibalism were a bit too graphic. I understand the necessity of making history vivid and real, but this seemed a bit too graphic for that age group. Would recommend for early teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Mar. 2003
Katy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
At last, a book about American history that ISN'T glorified on each page about how wonderful and amazing the Americans are. This gives you the raw facts and nothing else, with a touch of humour thrown in. Terry Deary is an amazing author anyway, so how can you doubt him?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success for Terry "Brilliant" Deary!, 16 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
Terry Deary has done it again, offering a book with lots of interesting facts in, gory stuff and humour to go with it. If there is ever an author that you look forward to reading it is Terry Deary who is master at knowing when you should be serious or funny and how to please his readers, not bogging his books down with tedious history dates and text-book history. Another brilliant book from a brilliant author. This book includes even more humour, interesting and gory facts and things that not even your history teacher would know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Horrible Histories Special: USA (Kindle Edition)
This book was amazing definitely would recommend. Loved every minute of it, did not want to put it down when going to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars COOL book, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Horrible Histories Special: USA (Kindle Edition)
It was full facts and jokes that was very interesting. You should totally read it !!!!!!&!
Read the book it is spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like the book, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Horrible Histories Special: USA (Kindle Edition)
I think that more people should read this book because it's history with a twist. It is really good at getting you in to history

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 5 July 2013
Full of information and written in a fun way. A great book for the young and old. I look forward to reading it to the kids.

Horrible Histories Special: USA