Colour Name: Green|Change

on 11 August 2013
I bought this for my 5 year old son, hoping it would assist in learning. I did have reservations, was it a gimmick?, would language be American causing confusion? I am very happy to hear British English from the pen. My son loves it and should get a good one or two years use out of it, before he grows out of it. It has to be said the TAG system is technologically very advanced and flexible. It is so easy to use especially as a self help system. A reading hour in the car is not easy when you are driving, but this system fills in for the occupied parent. It is no substitute for formal teaching but it is a very convenient supplement. It really does help and is fun. The only downside is the cost. We bought the pen, a set of long vowel language books, Mr Pencil writing, some story books and a map of the solar system. I think this is enough for background play. As my son develops, his main support will be good old fashioned paper books. Watch the video's, they helped sell it to me.
on 15 November 2015
I only purchased the Leapreader in order to get my children the world map and the human body set (both of which are beyond excellent).

The pen works well and it is very straightforward to download the material. The reason for 3 stars is that I would never recommend the system as a way of teaching a child to read. In particular, (and this was proven by the sampler book that came with the pen), the voice calls the letters by their name, rather than using the phonics approach used by schools - so there seems to be little point in confusing children by giving them this system.

If you are looking to buy this pen to help your child learn to read - I would say forget it - stick to reading with your child so you can make sure you are sounding the letters in the correct phonics method.

BUT - if you want the pen to go with the non-learning to read material (the map, the human body, and the solar system), then this is very much recommended!
on 19 August 2013
Only left out one star because of the price of the books and accesories . I would definitely recommend.this product to everyone.
on 1 January 2016
'Santa' brought this for my 4 year old daughter along with the Doc McStuffins book. She loves it..... not only does it read the books but it does the actual voices too...... she will sit and 'read' the book time and time again. Brilliant..... defo recommend. Id still recommend parents actually reading to their children but this is a good device to give the parents that break every now and then. Books are expensive thou so i can only advise buying one or 2 for birthdays/christmas or even putting them on gift lists for when ppl are stuck at what to buy ur little one.
on 6 January 2014
Bought as a Christmas present for my Daughter, she loves it and has asked for more books for her birthday. The books are expensive but worth it to see the enjoyment she is getting and how much she is taking in, in such a short space of time.
on 20 February 2015
Excellent provides hours of fun and learning. Best investment made so far. Bought for my 1 1/2 year old and is now 3 and 5 months and is whizzing through books and starting to recognise words other than her name,
on 9 May 2016
Bought this for my 3yr old who will be starting reception in September (August baby) to help prepare her. She can hold the pen easily and quickly figured out how to turn it on and access content she wants. I really like the layout of the books and that the pen gives positive feedback for effort. Getting it set up was a bit of a faff - I could have done without ads trying to redirect me to put other software on my pc, hence the four stars.
on 9 January 2014
Bought for my 3.5 year old granddaughter at Christmas as suggested by my daughter. I loved it and we all thought it a brilliant gift. Lots to learn without learning! I'm sure it will teach her to read before she begins school, all through play!
on 19 January 2014
Not only is my granddaughter enjoying the independence of reading by herself, this system makes learning to read and write fun and teaches without the child really realising that they are learning. Absolutely brilliant product well worth the money.
on 3 April 2014
I cannot express bow much i love this toy. My daughter age 3 loves tracing the letters and playing the games. There is a huge choice of well known titles to choose from and the way its works is exceptional. Cannot recommend enough. Bought for around £23.00 so well worth it