5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. R. Breslin

2.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog Creativity Camera
This LeapFrog camera is an interesting and well-made product.

I was surprised at how bulky this was when it arrived; it also deceives at a glance at what is is actually for.

Published 9 months ago by zombielover

5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable, 14 Sep 2013
Mrs. R. Breslin "r.breslin" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case (Green) (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main thing to consider if buying this camera is that it needs an iphone, it is not a normal kids camera. Saying that the body of the camera is very tough and durable so your phone will be well protected. Once the little one takes photos they can learn to edit and enhance them with loads of choices to make their pictures fun.I would say that as its not a normal basic camera it would be suitable for 3yrs upwards.Its sturdy and quite chunky so its easy for little hands to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leapfrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case, 24 Aug 2013
lapal25 (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basically, you take your iphone and put it inside this big plastic camera. Your 'phone is then safe and can't be broken. Your child can then take their own 'photos. The child can learn to stamp, tint and morph to edit their 'photos. They can learn while creating their own 'photo books. They can view their 'photos in the gallery. You can also overlay fun illustrations onto the 'photos that have been taken. Please note that the case is not water resistant and does not protect against spillages, but does block the 'home' button of your iphone during play. It is compatible with iphone 4, 4S, 5 and iPod touch. Basically, this protective device turns your iphone into a kid friendly camera. There is also a fast action game included. Great fun to let your child take their own 'photos on a day out, say to the zoo or the seaside (avoid the swimming pool!) then come home and edit them. Great educational toy and preparation for this modern IT world we live in! Sturdy, colourful and original item. Lovely gift idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont hesitate to buy, 29 May 2014
Best decision I made
It has allowed me to introduce the idea of taking a photo to my grandaughter who is 3
She loves to take photos and now will pose and smile and look cute for me wish I'd bought it earlier
You just download the free app and it is up and running I am using and iPhone 5
She cant hurt it honest
The shutter is a little stiff but she can do it
We all have to have our photos taken now

4.0 out of 5 stars take a picture, smile !, 28 Sep 2013
misswise (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son loves this toy. It is great fun for kids and easy to use. the camera is chunky enough to be held sturdily by little fingers, the iphone fits snugly inside the case. The app allows children take pictures, add backgrounds to their pictures, do facial expressions to match the ones in the app photo books and play games. My son has enjoyed this so much his favourite phrase is now 'take a picture, smile !' Good toy, will withstand knocks and bumps, fun for kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever idea, 27 Sep 2013
F. Schubert "TechnoHeini" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our 14months old loves to play with our iPhones 4. I have a protective case that is use to protect my phone from the inevitable drops that it it exposed to when being handled by our toddler. While this camera case offers the same protection it also offer great new functionality. The phone fits well into the case and the controls are easy and effective. The related app was also easy to dowload and the extra features easy to unlock. Our little one loves playing with the camera, but it will be a few more months before he will start taking actual snaps. I look forward to see the resulting pictures taken from his perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs an iPhone to work, 24 Aug 2013
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off this product is compatible with iPhone 4, 4S & 5, & iPod touch. If you don't have those then you won't be able to work this camera. It does say this on the front and back cover, and it does call this an "App learning toy", so I think they have done enough to warn people of this. Obviously using your iPhone means that you won't need to search for batteries for this toy meaning it can be used indefinitely, although hopefully no one rings you when your child wants to play with it.

Second the camera is sturdy so your iPhone should be protected when it is use by your child, like if they accidentally drop the camera to the ground. It won't be protected from liquid though and there are warnings on the box and accompanying leaflet about this saying the camera is not watertight, although when inserting your iPhone this is pretty obvious. Also it is quite a chunky camera so may not be as portable as the slimline cameras adults use but your child could still take it on trips.

Thirdly this does more than just straight photos as you can edit the pictures in kid-friendly ways, e.g by adding borders, or cartoon facial features, which all is designed to unleash your child's creativity (hence the name creativity camera), or you can make photobooks etc. This is all good but this is all stuff that can also be done on the LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra plus more, e.g. wi-fi connection, more games, which is separately available and doesn't need an iPhone to use it.

It says on the front that this is for 3 to 6-year-olds so the camera has a shelf-life of 3 years, and by then iPhones will have moved on probably anyway so will always be based on today's technology no matter what is around in the future.

But as a toy I am happy with it overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog Creativity Camera, 15 Oct 2013
zombielover "perpetual student" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This LeapFrog camera is an interesting and well-made product.

This is not a camera - and careful reading of the product description (I glanced at it myself) shows that it's a "CAMERA APP WITH PROTECTIVE CASE" - emphasis on the "app". So what you do is get your iPhone or iPod Touch, download the appropriate app (which is easy enough), insert it in to this case and then hand over your expensive piece of technology to a 3 - 6 year old to run around with and play.

I see a flaw in the plan.

Not particularly desiring to hand my iPhone 4S over to a 4 year old (this is *not* iPhone 5 compatible - the chassis / phone holder element isn't large enough) I had no choice. And much to my disgust, she loved it. Commence around 2 hours of squealing and battery draining as dozens of blurry photos of the floor accompanied with superimposed fairies appear on my phone.

But then I discovered a further flaw.

This is an app. Apps don't need a shiny plastic casing to work. In short order, the camera chasing which was designed to make this suitable for kids and possibly more entertaining was discarded, and now all that is desired is my phone. The chassis? Irrelevant.

So based on the fact that there is no actual camera in the toy, I have to hand over an expensive piece of technology which most 3 - 6 year olds shouldn't be allowed near for this to work, and factor in the fact that older children figure out they don't need the case anyway... I would save your money and look for a better and more child-friendly alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars It takes nerves of steel!!, 16 Oct 2013
Bluey1976 (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a protective case for your iphone which turns the device into a kiddie camera. My youngest is almost 4 and he was happy enough wandering around taking photo's of socks, worms and dog poo. Must admit I did not let him out of my sight... as you will be aware, Iphones are far from cheap, in fact if you add the total cost of the device, you are in SLR territory!!

For that reason, the child does not have total freedom of use which does ruin the educational value some what. The app itself seems to work well, no problems I have found.

If you have an old knackered phone or touch device, this would probably work pretty well, not for the faint hearted!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd product, 15 Sep 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ailing eyesight caused me to think this was a toy camera. One I thought one of my children could review with me. In fact it is a large cover designed to fit over an iphone which your child can then use to take photos with your iphone without destroying your expensive phone. In truth I just can't see the point. Yes, the 'case' seems sturdy but I just wouldn't bother. You can get play cameras for children for much less the cost of an iphone and its much easier to keep the iphone out of reach of little hands. I am sure some will go for this but I just don't understand why you'd risk the phone being damaged. Children have a habit of breaking things - even when protected and so for me it just seems a product with little market. But, if you are inclined to let the children play with your iphone this cover may well be up to the task. It has a sturdy feel and the locking mechanism seems child proof enough. But dare you risk it?

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 17 Oct 2013
Kris (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I probably fell into the same belief as many others, thinking that this was a camera and not just a case. That aside, it's a nice idea, my little one had great fun with it, but to get full use out of this you ideally need a second phone and that suddenly bumps the cost up a lot. Add the fact that you don't really need the case, as it's just an app you can download, and suddenly it's not such a good idea. A fun toy if you have an old iPhone kicking about, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend this.