5.0 out of 5 stars very good read
really, really enjoyed this book, well written, easy to read and stacked with lots of interesting information about the wonderful Mister Laurie. a must read for all fans
Published on 3 Aug. 2010 by LIsa Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same
Published on 2 Aug. 2010 by J. Carr

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 2 Aug. 2010
J. Carr (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
If, like me, you have taken advantage of the information and interviews posted on the internet over the last few years regarding Mr Laurie, you may be a little disappointed with this book. Having just finished reading it, I don't feel that I have learnt very much more about him than I did before. It seems to me that most of the information has been gathered from the internet and padded out a bit, and the only advantage of having this biography is that you have all the information in one place. It isn't very long either at 260 pages (not including appendix), with largish print, wide margins and 2 lots of photos. There are some good photos though, many of which I hadn't seen before.

I may be wrong, but I guess that neither Hugh Laurie, nor anyone who knows him had any direct involvement in the writing of this book and the direct personal interview with family or friends (or even the subject himself) for the specific purpose of the book, would have added tremendous value and brought this work above that of Wikipedia and suchlike.

Perhaps one day, Hugh Laurie may see fit to write his own autobiography, or commission someone to do it with full cooperation. If so, I'm sure it will be as interesting as his "colleague" Stephen Fry's autobiographical attempts.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like House you'll like this, but..., 23 Aug. 2010
I've always liked Hugh Laurie, from his partnership with Stephen Fry (another of my favourites) through his Blackadder days to his Americanisation as Dr House. So I was quite keen to read this book, especially after reading other auto-biographies such as Fry's Moab is My Washpot. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations, this is not after all written by Laurie, and as such lacks his wit and sense of humour - with the odd exception of some direct quotes of his. The facts were all interesting and quite readable, but that's all they were - basically a chronical of events and achievements without a great deal of insight into the man. It is also, in my mind, aimed squarely at the American audience who have come to know Laurie through House and potentially his film roles, a realisation that was cemented when I hit the House section two thirds of the way in. As such it comes across as a background biography for House fans rather than a witty biography of Hugh Laurie. If you are a big House fan you will probably really like this book, but in my mind he is much more than this and the book missed the mark a bit. I'm off to buy The Gun Seller

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written and researched, 21 Feb. 2011
This book has some interesting information and anecdotes about Hugh Laurie but no insights, no attempt to see beneath the industriously created surface of modesty and humility. The writing is plodding and the book contains a number of horrible mistakes. For example, he writes about Fry and Laurie being part of "British television law." (He means "lore".) He mentions the PG Wodehouse character "P Smith." (He means "Psmith.") There are many others.

His attitude to Hugh Laurie's friends and colleagues is uncritical. Stephen is wonderful, Emma is wonderful, Ben is wonderful, Richard is wonderful. Hugh himself, of course, is too wonderful for words. It gets a bit sickening after a while, like being drip-fed raspberry jam.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing., 5 Feb. 2011
Ms J. Redican (UK) - See all my reviews
There are many reasons I disliked this book; the first and foremost, however, has to be the fact that only about 60% of it is about Hugh Laurie; the remainder is cast lists of shows he has been in, alongside info about people he starred in shows with.

It has very few actual quotes from Laurie, and reads like a padded out Wikipedia article! The photos it includes are, in the main, press shots, and to be honest the whole book just feels as though it was researched online, by a "House" fan, who had very little or no contact at all with Laurie.

I definitely would not recommend this book; the writing style felt "clunky" to me, and I struggled to get through it. Even though I can normally lose myself and rage through a book in a day, this took me a couple of weeks as I really struggled to be entertained by it whatsoever.

Plus there are several spelling errors which just drive me mad, especially when contained within a book with a £19.99 cover price! I would assume that a publisher charging that amount could at least employ a decent proofreader!

Save your money, and spend an afternoon "Googling" Hugh Laurie; you will probably find out more than I did from this book, and enjoy it more too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boo Hugh for this terrible book, 29 April 2012
P. A. Turner (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I won't really blame Hugh Laurie for this appalling book, because I simply refuse to believe he had anything to do with it. It is quite simply the worst thing I have read for very many years. There is so much wrong with it that it is very hatd to know where to start.

The whole enterprise seems to be a cut-and-paste collection from various sources, with the odd bit of linking text to try and give the appearance of proper biographical writing. This might just about work, on a very superficial level, if the cutting and pasting, plus additional text, was done with a decent amount of care and thought. However, the bodge-up job often results in sentences that make no sense, facts that are plainly wrong, dates and time-lines that do not add up, and names and titles that are incorrect.

Just one example of careless production: Each chapter has a title, which is repeated at the top of each right-hand page. Chapter 6 title is 'Canvas chairs with our names on the back'. On the last page of this chapter, the heading has become 'Giggsy - The biography of Ryan Giggs'. How on earth did he slip into there? Unintentionally hilarious, and probably the funniest thing in the whole book. If you enjoy spotting mistakes and going "Tsk!" every few minutes, this could be for you.

This was clearly written for an American readership, to cash-in on the success of Laurie's "House". I have no problem with that, but having to sit through constant explanations of standard British things ("Eton College is a famous British public school, often referred to simply as Eton") makes this book virtually impossible for a British audience to read without constantly wanting to throw the thing across the room.

I am a huge fan of Fry & Laurie, both together and individually. Stephen Fry's two volumes of proper autobiography are among the most enjoyable reads I have ever had. I only wish Hugh Laurie could be persuaded to produce his own account of his life and career. I am certain it would be excellent. Unfortunately, this dreadful drivel may make Laurie too embarrassed to do it, such is the collateral damage this "bomb" may unfairly do to his reputation. My advice is, do not read this book. You will almost certainly hate it, and you may blame Laurie. He deserves much better.

This review is of the hardback edition. It could be that all the dross has been sifted out for the paperback version. Somehow I don't expect it has.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 3 Aug. 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Insultingly Awful, 19 Jun. 2013
How how how could such a travesty ever be printed?! It is insulting to such a great man that his biography had to be such a mess. Presumably the author does this for a living? That is, being a biographer isn't normally just an innocent hobby. So how could someone in this profession write with such glaring grammatical errors? Words missing, miss-spelled, errors of grammar that ten year olds shouldn't make... It's not even something that can be just skimmed over, they are right in your face and there are just too many to mention! On top of this every editor and proofreader thereafter missed them all too. Were they all reading with their eyes closed?

It's not just grammar either; it repeats itself, follows no proper kind of structure and contradicts itself. An example of that last one is in reference to Hugh's famous House audition tape in 2003 - bearing in mind he was born in 1959 - the prologue calls it 'the most important audition of the 37-year-old's life'. Fast forward to the section where the book revisits this same event and Laurie is now apparently 45.

It is an absolute shambles, if it was a school essay I'd throw it away and say 'start again'. It is in fact a published book that we're expected to pay £7.99 for, when in fact the writing is so lame and the insights so second hand and haphazard it may as well be the former. So I think in this instance I'd say give all that money back, apologise to Laurie for putting his name on such a waste of paper, and help finance a new one - signed off by the man himself because then I guarantee it would be pristine.

Don't get me wrong there is some reasonable content in there and for posterity I'm glad I own it. But it is so disappointing that a few glances here and there tell you how shameful it is. In contrast, the first lines of Laurie's 'the Gun Seller' tell you you're reading a masterpiece.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excruciatingly bad, 16 Oct. 2011
This book is not a book. It is (or appears to be) a series of blog postings pasted together without any real attempt at proof-reading, editing or revision. It's awful.
The writing is more than clunky: it's ragged and loses itself in multiple threads, repeating phrases and pointless observations. There are missing articles (as in definite and indefinite). There are unwarranted changes of tone.
As another reviewer suggested, although the content is interesting one may have gathered the same information by browsing the web without having had to be exposed to the asinine, cloying muck that surrounds each nugget of enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!!, 12 Aug. 2010
ok, so if you google Hugh Laurie you will indeed get most of the content found in the book. however what you wont get is it cleverly written, you'll struggle to find the info so sharp or witty, you'll fail to get sucked in to this man's life!
Well done to Anthony Bunko who's made this bio one of the most interesting i've ever read. Filled with substance and wit my hat goes off to the writer and Hugh Laurie himself for being so entertaining! Well worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Take me to your leader...., 1 Aug. 2011
D. Whitehead "Stagsman" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
After the first few pages I was hugely disappointed.

Anthony Bunko writes as if I've just landed from outer space, am totally ignorant in the ways of British life, customs and comedy and have a desire to be patronised to death.

I'm not quite sure who this book was aimed at. But like some of your other reviewers I found it a little like eating a thick sandwich of irrelevance with Hugh Laurie being the less than adequate filling.