Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.49

on 7 October 2013
As a huge fashion fan I was really looking forward to this book. I visited the first Jimmy Choo store in London in 1999 and a few more over the years, and have read countless articles about the seemingly glossy and almost perfect lifestyle of Tamara Mellon. This book was such a revelation as it completely lifted the cover on all that gloss and told the real story. Money can't buy you a happy childhood, and the one that Tamara experienced I wouldn't swap mine in working class Liverpool for anything. The continuing theme in the book is her love and respect for her father, who helped her start the Jimmy Choo label as we know it today. This is not a story just out of Hello magazine, it contains all the boardroom backstabbing in great detail. I learned a lot about Tamara - that nothing stops her from working, that her daughter is her priority, and that even though she did start with the financial backing of her father she turned that £150,000 investment into a £100 million dollar company. Not bad for a girl who didn't pass her 'O' levels! Not once are we asked to show sympathy or empathise, this lady is hard on herself, too. I couldn't put this book down and I hope the the Tamara Mellon brand will go on to achieve great things. My only wish? That there had been more photos. But apart from that, it's a fabulous read!
on 25 October 2013
I downloaded this and read it in a couple of days - it's a real page turner - very interesting if you are keen to learn more about the origins of the Jimmy Choo brand and anyone with a passion for shoes will enjoy reading about the style influences, etc but what is truly fascinating is the insight you get into what it was like for Tamara as a female owner/founder raising PE investment - this lady is a smart cookie and has been through the mill several times - her personal strength is to be admired - I can't wait to see what great things come from her new venture aptly and sensibly named - Tamara Mellon
on 23 October 2013
This is easily one of the best books I have read in a while! It is so rare to come by a women who is willing to be that open and vulnerable while not catering to the male establishment. Tamara is telling a bunch of truths about doing business in our male dominated world. Many of us have had some of the same experiences but few of us tell the truth about it out of fear of the backlash it creates. Thank you Tamara for starting a conversation that is desperately needed.
on 22 October 2013
I have admired Ms Mellon since I was a teenager (I even share her first name, though I wasn't named after her) and Jimmy Choo is one of my all time favourite designer labels, so when I found out she was releasing a memoir, I was thrilled. I waited two and half months to read the book, since it was pre ordered, and I read, or rather devoured, this book in two days. I had a lump in my throat the size of Calcutta when I could finally bring myself to put it down.

I can only describe this book as an absolutely incredible read, and you really do feel like she is sitting there with you, telling you her story! I was blown away by the bravery and resiliency she showed in sharing some of her experiences, especially those involving her turbulent relationship with her mother. Not once is the reader asked to sympathise with her, and her prose is honest and believable. I was also quite moved by reading how she talked about her late father, and enjoyed reading about the way he helped her get on her feet in business, and about the close relationship they shared. I also liked the way she didn't dwell too much on her personal life, unlike some other celebrity memoirs I could mention.

This book also goes some way to inform readers about the pitfalls of running and owning a business, and showed you that the fashion world isn't always the glamorous world that it is made out to be. I really felt that I learnt some valuable lessons about the fashion industry from reading this book, and some of this information could be useful to people thinking about starting their own business, as well.

Of course,I couldn't finish this review without mentioning The wonderful William Patrick, Tamara's writing partner on this book. The way in which he presented Tamara's thoughts and feelings, and made them somewhat 'jump out of the page' throughout In My Shoes is simply incredible, and he, too, really sucked me into this amazing story of a life well lived.

Thank you, Tamara, for telling your story. as I said in this review, you are truly amazing and I hope you get the happy ending you have always been searching for :) x

on 20 July 2014
This was utterly me, me me. The poor girl was only offered £100k by her father for her wedding and had to find the rest herself! Incidentally, that was a further $400k!!
She berates her partners for finding her self centred and vain but I can't imagine she put in the hours most of us working in the fashion industry have done over the years, with San Lorenzo to go to each night etc.

Having run two design business's-I wouldn't have wanted a partner like Ms Mellon and can see why each of the private equity partners was keen to see her off! She was more interested in her own brand of Tamara than her team.

This is badly written at best but a great insight in to a woman I had more respect for before reading her book! Not a job well done!
on 12 November 2013
I really enjoyed the journey of Tamara's life - an honest perspective of the trails and tribulations of the business world of fashion.
I was a fashion shoe buyer and could related to many aspects.
I love that that I am not alone in believing that the "suits" do struggle with the fact that fashion is not a rational business - a concrete everlasting formula to just roll out!
The book was kind of fascinating for all the wrong reasons. It was a bit like rubber necking a car crash and left much the same bad taste in my mouth.

Mellon does not come out of this terribly sympathetically. I absolutely believe that money cannot buy you happiness and that it is possible to have a miserable, poisoned existence even if you do have oodles of money, but there has to be a sense of grace in writing about it that doesn't leave people who don't have the kind of financial backing and generous friends Mellon clearly does, feeling less than inclined to sympathise, and this book doesn't have that grace. It is clunkily written and rather repetitive. The sections that deal with high finance business buy outs were tricky to read and boring unless you're very interested in that kind of thing, and as most people who read this presumably won't be, it means the book is rather uneven.

The book is badly written and much of what she is trying to say is badly expressed and shows her in a poor light. Which is a shame. I imagine that she would not have been allowed to write the way she did about her family and fellow business men had what she said not been true, otherwise she would have been slapped with massive law suits, so you can see that she has every right to be slightly unhinged and upset, but given that, the fact that she still comes across as tricky to like is hard to swallow.
on 2 December 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I admired her vision, determination and belief in herself that she could make a success of Jimmy Choo even if he never appreciated any aspect of how she made him and his shoes famous and successful. I felt she was totally realistic about her relationship with her mother. Even though every little girl wants her mother's love and attention, she was young when she realised her mother didn't care or like her. She was lucky she had a good dad. I also liked how despite her divorce from her husband, she put her daughter's relationship with her father first. She certainly told the full story on what happened in the Board Room and I admire her courage to tell the truth. Irish genes are indomitable. So impressed that her father was Rock Hudson's stand in. I would like to know about him and also did her brothers inherit the good looks of either mum or dad?. I wish she would trace her Irish roots to see where the determination came from. Wish her success with her new fashion line. Will want to buy it.
on 9 November 2013
Very good read, didn't want to put it down. Couldn't believe all that Tamara had been through trying to keep hold of her own company. The book does move backwards and forwards in time it it doesn't flow in terms of dates which could be a little bit confusing as one minute she was talking about 2008 and then about something that happened in 2006 or 2009. But overall I really enjoyed it and it was definitely an eye opener.
on 2 October 2013
Excellent book for every thinking and feeling human being. Business is just a side story here; real humanity is at its core.

The story is very personal yet universal: forging on and learning about yourselves in the process.

Well done to Tamara to open so much of your private life - many will be inspired by your brave honesty.