5.0 out of 5 stars Music to not read your book to
I bought this album while listening to the artists in session on the radio, where they really caught my attention. I downloaded it and put it straight on, then got back to reading my book. This is a terrible album to read to. I barely managed two pages over the whole album; constantly having to stop to listen to the beautifully minimal and lyrical playing. Fantastic.
Published 7 months ago by Duncan147

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Who Cried Champagne
Published 10 months ago by degrant

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to not read your book to, 11 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow late night music, 11 Nov 2013
Emer Mullen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
This is a really beautiful album. The pieces are very long and well developed. There are no jarring notes anywhere. It's an album I'd like to get to know better one you need to spend time with. But don't over-analyse it you really just need to be with it. An absolute must for jazz fans everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Carla!, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Trios (MP3 Download)
This is Carla playing Carla with just Steve Swallow and Andy Sheppard. The tunes are intriguing, and in this stripped down setting, each of the musicians gets the chance to display their great skills. If you like quiet, thoughtful and complex jazz, you will love this recording

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
The calm piano playing of Carla Bley acts as a great counterpoint to Andy Sheppard on sax and Steve Swallow on bass. Very relaxing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Who Cried Champagne, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
The first time Carla Bley has ever appeared on ECM per se and been produced, a major press promotion, a beautifully packaged recording, three outstanding musicians. What is not to like? Well, while many will love this (as the three brief reviews to date attest), for all the individuals moments of beauty, I can't help feeling slightly short-changed. Opener "Utviklingssang" is the highlight. Sympathetic interplay all round and, in particular, an exquisite performance from Sheppard left me hoping that the remainder would reach equally giddy heights. Sadly, the remaining four tracks did not. Increasingly I wished that Swallow played a double bass as opposed to electric and I yearned for less restraint, more variety and greater daring. "The concluding "The Girl Who Cried Champagne" is, on its own terms, a perfectly pleasant number (in three parts)but which desperately cries out for the bossa nova feel and richness of textures of the original which appears on "Fleur Carnivore." In short, fans of any of Bley, Sheppard and Swallow should investigate "Trios" but I would be interested to see what others think...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bley - Carla - as good as ever, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
I first found the Bleys and Steve Swallow through Jimmy Giuffre back in 1965 or so, and I have built up quite an extensive collection of their discs over the years. I'm very happy with this addition to it. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The art of ageing gracefully, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
There was a time that an album as understated as this one would have left me cold. In years past I'd have preferred John McLaughlin rocking out on Escalator over the hill. But in truth there is a lot more going on in this recording, subtle and interesting at every turn, with all three musicians playing superbly. Carla Bley's music has aged very gracefully indeed. This for my money is one of her finest albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars cd reveiw, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Trios (MP3 Download)
this is such a relaxing peice of music that is easy to get lost in. alot of the saxophone reminds me of walking through a meadow listening to birds singing. First time I heard some of this on radio 3, I was at a Motorway services and I nodded off while listening. Something that very rarely happens, and is a sure sign of quality! I've read another reveiw that says something like , it is a shame that all the tracks are not up to the standard of the first track, but I really have apreciated all of the tracks in different ways. If you want a break from radio, the news, pop music, the human voice, and lose yourself into something really still and peaceful, this CD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Trios (MP3 Download)
Love this album. First up track is just sublime. Needs a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT TRIO !!!, 24 Nov 2013
Arturo Suski Blanco "elreyarturo" (madrid,Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trios (Audio CD)
Absolutely gorgeous ecm release. Yes they have done it again.
What a trio ! A superlative release. Can these ecm releases get any better I wonder ?
Go to your nearest Amazon outlet and get it otherwise you just won't get the beautiful music created here!

Trios
Trios by Andy Sheppard (Audio CD - 2013)