on 19 December 2014
For an expensive, top of the range card this has one fatal flaw. Plug in a mic and there's interference / noise aplenty. I can't believe how bad this is and how little support or recognition there is from Asus. The internet is lettered with complaints about this issue (I wish I'd done some research first) and there's no fix. I've repositioned the card, tried it with different GPUs; gain set to 0 etc and the noise won't go away. Lots of people have resorted to plugging in another card or using an onboard mic to workaround the problem,

Having said all that, the sound (without the mic) is fantastic, as is the Dolby software it ships with. The Asus software is a lot less intuitive (you have to "right click" the icons to bring up the options menu for example!) but good once you get the hang of it.

Simple things like the illuminated ports make finding the right hole a doddle.

Note this Solo version doesn't ship with the desktop mic / phone plug in adapter.

I really wouldn't recommend it at all. The fault exists on the solo and ordinary versions of the Phoebus. Will try a few more settings changes but I think I'll be returning this.
on 11 April 2014
Installed the official Windows 8.1 drivers and they appeared to work fine, until I tried to use a microphone which started broadcasting an annoying interference sound through to my fellow players. I tested three different mics and the sound persisted, I put my soundblaster z back into the machine and the noise went away.

Sending it back as a result, if voice coms are not a priority or you're prepaired to wat months for a new driver to resolve the issue it's capable of decent sound and does sound very good.
on 12 December 2014
Great. Be it Music or Gaming.... I upgraded from ASUS XONAR DX. I can experience a 360 Degree improvement over the performance of XONAR DX.

The only thing that I feel, the driver interface of XONAR DX was much more customizable than that of XONAR PHOEBUS.

Anyway you would love it when you would experience it!!!
on 31 December 2015
Would be 5 star... but the dolby digital live does not work under Windows 10 at the moment....
on 8 December 2014
great sound card worth every penny i use it with the razor triamat 7.1 headset and its amazing both are but the headset needs the sound card for ease of use for the headset

but the sound card is top notch
on 27 December 2013
Really good sound.

However the rear and front speakers kept switching. Either had to reboot or toggle Headphone/Speaker. Also the software feels a bit a kid made it.

Had to return it.
on 20 April 2014
Works for windows 8 and perfect for my razer tiamat 7.1 headset, would ALWAYS recommend to buyers of soundcards, no joke!
on 28 October 2013
good quality and good price .I am happy with the sound that I have now on my computer and the games are with rich sound
on 30 December 2013
I have had computers since the 1980s and so far this is the best sound quality so far (using 5.1 speaker setup). There is an "Xear Surround Max" setting that makes a dramatic difference. I bought the card because my old Creative Soundblaster card expired. I have 2 computers but only 1 set of speakers and run the line out from one to the line in of this card, and it works fine. The controller software is very good although not very intuitive or easy to navigate. Instead of normal menus it is necessary to right click the main icons to get sub menus. This is, however, a minor issue in view of the great job it does. Another minor issue is that, in common with many other controll applications, the display has a black background which means that I have to increase the brightness to see it properly. If I leave it on that setting other white windows are too bright.
on 28 February 2014
so, drivers have been a mess since I first installed it in to my system under win7

subsequently updated to win8.1 and found the drivers would lock system up if a particular combination of settings were selected

when the 'fixed' drivers were released they added a nice throaty growl to any mic used on the system.

great stuff.

it's a pity because when you can get it working it does a bloody good job :-(

UPDATE 27-06-2014: still no way to stop buzzing on the mic input. as soon as system is under load the mic input picks up a nice loud growling type buzz from electrical noise in the system that my old sound card didn't in the same system.