4.0 out of 5 stars cracking fantasy read, 9 July 2013
This review is from: The Infernal Detective (A Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mystery Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
The Infernal Detective: Book Four in the Riga Hayworth Series . Kirsten Weiss.

ARC supplied by author.
Jumping into book four of a series as I have I wasn't sure how I'd be able to follow the story. Whilst I did need to refer back a couple of times it wasn't hard to pick up, Kirsten gives enough explanation to keep up without being too repetitive for followers of the series. I hate it when an author keeps repeating detail from earlier books I've read if its overdone. Its a turn off and I feel cheated, I always think that the readers should buy the earlier books.....so its good that Kirsten has found the right balance. Riga is getting married to Donovan in a week and they're having a pre wedding party at their new lake house. They go into the bedroom and find a dead body, Riga goes out of the room and moments later the body has disappeared along with Donovan. He turns up next day at one of his casinos and Riga spots Cam, the dead man although he seems to be trying hard to avoid her. Puzzles and batty relatives, ghosts, witchcraft, necromancers, dark magic and Hunters, talking gargoyles... its a book packed with adventure and mystery. I love books like this and really enjoyed it, Kirsten has managed a perfect mix of supernatural without resorting to the tired clichés so many books like this have utilised.
I think I'd get even more from the book if I'd read the earlier ones, as often there were things that referred back to past incidents, which of course I didn't know about. It didn't make the story hard to follow but I'd have had a greater understanding if I did know who was who, and what had occurred in earlier series.
The cast of characters are great, a good mix, and each carefully thought out to fit within the story line. They felt like real people - though if I had aunts like that I'd be tearing my hair out :) I liked Riga ( and Donovan!) and felt for her when she's trying to work her way out of danger, solve the puzzle of the dead/alive Cam, and keep the other guests from harm, and with the problem of her magic not helping as for some reaosn its been going wrong recently. All the while she's doing this she also has to try to avoid a local mob boss who's convinced she's part of his destiny. Big task for anyone but riga doesn't shy away from doings what's right and needed. I was there with her, holding my breath and reading franticly when she was in the middle of yet another dangerous scenario.
Stars: Great book, well written and I'm sure the whole series is one for fantasy readers to follow. Certainly I'll get to the earlier books when I've time :) and spare cash. I'm going for four stars but I think if I'd read the earlier ones I'd be giving five. I may come back and edit at a later date but this is my rating based on current reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Mix of Mystery & Urban Fantasy, 29 Sept. 2013
'The Infernal Detective' is the fourth book in a series that combines mystery with urban fantasy. Riga Hayworth finds a dead body in her bedroom, a dead body that gets up and walks away. Things go from bad to worse when it appears her fiancé has been kidnapped by the dead man walking.

I totally forgot this wasn't a first in series when I started reading it but although I quickly realised I was missing a bit of backstory the book was still easy enough to get into. It's a fast-paced mystery with an interesting mix of well written characters and easy to understand magical stuff. It's light entertainment with a good sense of humour and it's a fun read.

The book seemed to lack tension and because of this I didn't feel particularly worried about what was going to happen to Riga's fiancé. This didn't stop me from enjoying the story however, and it helped keep the atmosphere fun and light.

I would recommend to fans of urban fantasy and mysteries. I would say this is suitable for YA readers also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!!, 5 Sept. 2013
I started by reading the fourth book first and then downloaded the other three. I read them all in 2 weeks and can't wait for the next book in the series.
Riga Hayworth , I want to be you!! Funny, smart and magical. What more could you want from a book? I loved the insight into the supernatural. A brilliant, refreshing read.

Judith