5.0 out of 5 stars It's Good
OK this review is offered to try and give some insight into the MK802IV android Mini PC from a 'normal user', I'm no android expert. It effectively turns your TV into a giant android tablet, for those of you new to these things or wanting to find out about them just search 'Android Mini PCs' there's loads of information out there.

Recently the android tablet...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars MK802IV v4.2.2 dosen't work with Netflix or HBO
As stated with the new firmware v4.2.2, Netflix and HBO doesn't work at all anywhere in the world.

Unknown if there will be a fix in the future. Hardware is fine, only the software doesn't have the goggle required licences to run Netflix and HBO streaming services - the Chinese vendors seem to shaved away licences in order to save costs.

The results...
Published 14 months ago by Molan

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Good, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rikomagic RKM MK802IV Quad Core Mini TV Box Player RK3188 Cortex A9 + 8GB Flash + Bluetooth + Android 4.2

Recently the android tablet and phone market has seen a move towards Quad Core Processors rather than the previously standard Dual Core designs, the MK802IV is one of the first Quad Core Mini PCs, and from my limited experience it's as smooth as a Quad Core tablet or phone - pretty quick when scrolling, searching, playing music and media files etc. I wanted a cheap media player so that's the context in which I write, I know nothing about gaming or mobile office android use etc.

I've used it to view iPlayer, play films from a wireless drive over wifi and it even allows you to mount an external USB hard drive, the latter of these uses is not commonplace on android devices in general, you can also use a mini SD card (up to 32GB). The MK802IV does all of these things surprisingly well and it will work with Google Play and the like for streaming media, in short whatever apps you're used to on an android tablet this will more than likely do it just as well, though there are apparently a few exceptions so do your research first if you have a specific use in mind.

Picture quality is largely dependent on source material but again it's as good as any other android device I've experienced. Sound quality is again largely dependent on source material but the pre-installed 'stock' music and video player apps did perform much better than I'd hoped for.

When I did my research the common generic gripes from users regarding Mini PCs were unstable wifi connection, heat production and fairly useless Bluetooth connectivity. I've had no such issues with the MK802IV however, the unit is sat within half a metre of my router, I don't use processor hungry apps like complex games which are more likely to cause overheating issues and I only need Bluetooth connectivity within 5 metres, so again please do your research but for what I use the MK802IV for within the environment I use it it's been pretty flawless.

When I started looking into these things the MK802IV was not available through amazon UK so I considered purchasing it direct from the manufacturer, they do have a fairly extensive web presence. I therefore phoned the number given (which was a UK number) several times but no one ever answered the phone. I therefore waited until Amazon stock became available but even then the lead time was claimed to be about a month, it actually turned up within 2 weeks being preceded by a number of emails from the manufacturers appointed seller, one of the emails included a PDF instruction manual about a week before actual delivery of the unit written in Pigeon English, much like this review. I'm aware that I made an early order so expected to have a wait a while.

The unit itself is built fairly well with all the advertised sockets etc though obviously it wont stand too much trauma, these are effectively a circuit board in a plastic case and that's about it. The supplied power adaptor is unsurprisingly, not a standard UK 3 Pin design, this and the 'travel adapter' thing that was supplied with my unit were both placed direct in the recycling bin. A decent USB supply capable of delivering 5volts at 2Amps from a known manufacturer is a preferable way to go. I found that using USB supplies under 1amp capacity didn't support wifi use, the unit just 'turned off' the wifi function.

My only concern with the MK802IV itself came when I installed AVG anti virus on it, I've never had any issues with our phones or tablets but there is a potential issue which I understand is to do with the ability to mount an external USB HDD mentioned previously; My understanding is that the stock Android OS does not support this feature and therefore has to be modified or 'rooted' to accommodate it, this, in turn creates a security concern which the anti virus software picks up on, i.e. the device is running a slightly modified version of the original OS. As I said I'm no expert, I'm sure those 'in the know' will clarify. That said the AVG software appears to be working normally and hasn't flagged anything else so all seems well although my normal rules apply, only well known apps to be installed exclusively from Google Play.

My MK802IV shipped with android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which is fine, an update to 4.2 was promised a couple of weeks previous to time of writing but this has not yet been forthcoming, it is fairly easy to ask the unit to check for an update within 'settings'

Please consider the following on set up: 1) Have a wired mouse available to undertake the initial set up, this will enable you to more easily set things up, install wireless keyboard / mouse control after this. 2) If you have a decent AV amp with video enhancement processing and HDMI capability plug the unit into here rather than direct into your TV, I got much better video results doing this.

Overall my experience of the MK802IV has been an enjoyable bit of techy research that has ended up providing a much more viable media solution than I could ever have hoped for at this price.

I do hope this helps, enjoy.

Update: It appears that updating the MK802IV to 4.2 Jelly Bean is now possible but far more involved than I had realised. My apologies for suggesting this process is simpler than it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars MK802IV v4.2.2 dosen't work with Netflix or HBO, 16 Aug 2013

The results is, you have either use Android 4.1 or not need Netflix or HBO - it sucks, since it was the only reason I got it in the first place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rikomagic MK802 IV, 17 July 2013
Hi, I recently purchased this item through Amazon supplied from Cyber Trend, and have been happy with their service and prompt delivery. I agree with John the item is good and does everything you would expect from the hardware it has inside, better than most phones and tablets really. Mine came with android 4.2.2 installed and works fine, the Air Mouse which I purchased seperately just plugged straight in and worked. However even after moving the internal wi-fi aerial as the manufacturers advise I couldn't get a useable signal to my router 5m away, so don't buy it if you must have the wi-fi, or wait until the reception is resolved in a future update (hopefully). I use a usb to ethernet connection and have it wired to the router and it is faultless, definately the way to go if you can do it. So overall I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend to anyone interested as long as you can live with no wifi atm.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 19 Nov 2013
Advertised on amazon "Storage - 8 GB internal flash"
Only comes with 4GB of internal flash.
Not enough to return it, Still a disappoitment

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional service, 27 Sep 2013
At first, i was a bit disappointed, because my delivery was a bit late, but after discussing the matter with Cyber Trend,,,,which was fast and helpfull i am glad and apart from the delivery, this product is superb, and i can recommend it

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy!, 5 Sep 2013
This item constantly get stuck, and doesn't able to run simple tasks..
its shame they didn't add a reset button as the only thing magical about this is the name

2.0 out of 5 stars Netflix does not work, 30 Aug 2013
If you want to use Netflix then forget this device, it plainly does not work and there are many people asking for fixes and as yet there are none

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool stuff !!, 7 Jun 2014
Now my TV is really smart tv. I can browse I can stream I can watch I can share.
In my opinion 8 gb is not enough better go for bigger memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat bit of kit., 19 April 2014
Works a treat. Turns any telly into a smart telly. Super small, no noise, and has an SD card reader. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool, 20 Mar 2014
After chatting to a colleague about small PC's he told me to check this unit out, I thought for the price what the hell!!! So once it arrived, I did not expect much, but I was knocked back at the quality of the unit and the ease of setup. in less than a minute this was running on my 40" 1080P TV, I browsed the net, I streamed from a Windows 7 PC, It was doing everything I wanted and more.
Great Item, Great Price