5.0 out of 5 stars I've found myself a new favourite series
Published 16 days ago by sci fi/fantasy rules

3.0 out of 5 stars 50 shades of steel?
Kiss of Steel. From the cover I assumed this was steampunk fiction My first taste of this author and the story was good and characters interesting. The sex scenes a bit overblown and I did wonder several times; "have I stumbled into a BDSM novel here?" I mean, slaves? manacles? leashes? branding? All the submission and domination and control issues! This is set in...
Published 20 months ago by reddivine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found myself a new favourite series, 9 Oct 2014
As a newbie to the world of steampunk I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book and was more than anything drawn in by the amazing cover. After the first chapter I was totally hooked and engrossed in the world of the blue bloods and the love story between blade and honoria. The story revolves around a young girl called honoria who is on the run whilst desperately trying to find a cure for her younger brother. Blade is a blue blood and looking for vengeance against the same man who honoria is on the run from and initially intends to use her as bait to get to Vickers. However as the story progresses they slowly begin to fall in love and instead fight against the many obstacles in their path before facing the villain at the end. What I loved about this love story was that it didn't happen overnight it's more believable as both blade and honoria slowly warm up to each other. I loved the background that the story is set in and the characters within the world that mcmaster has created. Honoria is very protective of her younger brother and sister and doesn't instantly fall head over heels for blade which for the lead female character is really refreshing. Blade doesn't initially want honoria instead he wants to use her for his own personal gain and protect his adoptive family. Again as the lead male character it was just really good to have that gradual build up of the love between these two characters. My only negative with kiss of steel is that some of the main parts weren't clearly explained such as the echelon and the queen and Prince who didn't really tie in with the story, which is a shame because it was just because of the lack of backstory with those two major parts of the plot. That being said this is a brilliant story with brave characters all doing whatever they have to for love........and so without further ado it's onto the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sizzling Steampunk debut., 17 Sep 2012
Oh, I really enjoyed this. It's definitely Steampunk with its steam cabs, bio-mechanic limbs, clockwork toys and Metaljacket soldiers. But it's also a Paranormal-Historical Romance filled with blood-drinkers, vampires and werewolves. In fact, the paranormal aspect I felt was actually stronger than the Steampunk stuff for the most part, which was mostly just used for world-building and padding in the background.

It's also set in a kind of alternate history dystopian society. Oh heck, I don't know what genre it is, but it's a delicious mix of sexy Steampunk and Paranormal awesomeness. And I think I'd quite like to marry that cover too. Although, having read the book, I have to tell you that Honoria would never flash her garters in public like that. In private, well, that's another matter, and it all depends who's asking....

Honoria, of course, is our leading lady. She has an interesting tale to tell regarding how she's ended up the soul provider for her two younger siblings, the youngest of whom, Charlie, is very ill. She's having to live on the outskirts of The Rookery, which is the worst and most dangerous part of London, because it's all she can afford. A strategic position that she hopes will keep her well under the radar of the man who owns everything and everyone in The Rookery; the Devil of Whitechapel himself, Blade.

Why on earth would anyone want to avoid Blade? He's so yummy! He absolutely stole the show for me. Honoria was great as heroines go, but Blade. Ah, Blade. He was simply delicious; just the right amount of arrogance and vulnerability. Not impossibly beautiful, definitely a bit rough around the edges, but he won my heart with his willingness to give his to Honoria, whether she wanted it or not.

I thought McMaster got the balance just right in all areas of the book. Blade was aggressively male but not a dominant a-hole. Honoria was feisty but not bitchy. (She makes up for any excessive snappiness through her sacrifices for her brother and sister. And hey, if I was starving myself to leave more food for my family, I'd be in a bad mood too, let me tell you). The action scenes were bloody but not overly gruesome. And the inevitable Happily Ever After was sweet but not too saccharine.

Oh, and the sex scenes were extremely well done as well I thought! Sexy, but with an emotional connection to go with them.

My only complaint (because there has to be one, right?) was the way Blade's Cockney dialogue was written. Writing someone's accent can be a tricky venture and I felt like some of the dropped letters were incorrectly placed, forcing me to stumble through his dialogue sections, which just bugged me. But I have say this, and it's only a teeny tiny peeve really, was the only reason it didn't get 5 stars.

I'm very interested in several of the secondary characters that were introduced, including Honoria's sister Lena, and Blade's second in command Will the Verwulfen, as well as several others. I hope to see them starring in their own books very soon. I'll definitely be checking out the next instalment which is called Heart of Iron, when it hits the shelves in May 2013.

Recommended to fans of Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series, and Kristen Callihan's Darkest London series.

41/2 Stars ★★★★1/2
ARC provided for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking new romance series, 8 Jun 2014
Love these new romances by Bec McMaster. Based in a steam punk style London and blending in a variety of the usual supernatural favourites (vampires, werewolves etc) This series is one that really does combine the romance with a good plot. Highly recommended - particularly if you liked the old Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of Still, 15 April 2014
Such a pleasant surprise! A gem within books. So well written with a brilliant idea! It really delivers dark sexy unspoken secrets about steampunk era of London. Love the details of characters costumes to the atmosphere of those times!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Mar 2014
Good plot, characters, world... I liked the way the world was revealed by immersion, not explanation. The characters were interesting, and even though the plot was a wee bit contrived (a huge coincidence cemented the whole thing together) but very satisfying. I look forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark romance full of Gothic suspense and action, 27 Sep 2013
4/5 stars!

The author definitely knows how to capture the reader with imaginative adventure packed with action, danger and an element of Gothic suspense. The set up of the story was in Victorian Era blended well with historical, paranormal and steam-punk features. The male lead Blade is a true blood leader of the rookeries, with his other companions protecting the city of London, but he was cast aside and doomed for the horrific crimes he committed and everyone fears him. I was intrigued by his character and the more a read the more my curiosity grew to know him better and he did not disappoint me. Blade is ruthless, dark and dangerous, but under that gruff exterior lays a man with tortured soul in desperate need of love and acceptance of who he is and the heroin Honoria unleashed his darkest cravings for blood but also exposed his tender side the one that he could not believe to have. Honoria was very smart and strong-willed and new the consequences for asking Blade for protection that she would have to pay. She was brave and would not hesitate to protect her loved ones...I liked that ear of innocence in her and Blade could not have missed that too, so it was delightful to watch his inner tremors of wanting to claim Honoria for himself and at the same time being scared his own needs... I like their chemistry together and slow building of feelings...especially Hooria was more resistant to Blade charms and at time her stubbornness got to my nerves but it did not deterred from enjoying the reading. I wish the author could have made Honoria more attractive, as there was too much emphasis on her skinniness and compare to Blade's masculinity, they did not complement each other at times..but that is my personal preference..it may not be an issue for others. Suffice to say, the author showed their love was believable and i rooted for them to have their happiness and I wanted so much for Blade to accept his inner beast even if that beast murdered his own sister....under the horrific tortures he was forced to take and the guilt that followed him like a shadow.

The final battle was just freaking awesome and the intensity kept me on edge and I was caching my breath because Blade was strikingly good with his battle skills and furious with his beast to unleash his vengeance on his long time enemy Vickers that led to his sister's death and who he have become. Barrons was another character..I enjoyed reading..he was so complex that you never new on which side he would be the good or the bad...we later learned that he was Hooria's brother and I want him to have his own story too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 18 July 2013
C. L. Taylor "Cheeky Scots Chick" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Sexier than 50 shades, intriguing "historical" context and a ripping good read - thoroughly good read anf recommended to all

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, brilliant read, well deserved 5 stars..., 18 July 2013
I really loved Kiss of Steel, it's my first venture into steampunk and I wasn't disappointed. I bought this book as Bec McMaster was an author recommended by Elizabeth Hunter, one of my faves and I'm so glad I took her advice. Rich descriptive imagery, dominant yet delectable men, strong yet vulnerable heroin, steamy love scenes and page turning interesting story, what more could you want......I know, you want to know more, so onto the next one for me, yeay, Heart of Iron here I come!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, 30 Jun 2013
I. KNIGHT "almost addicted" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this on impulse and it turned out a very good read - a nice mix of steampunk, bodice ripper and supernatural. If it's not already been bought - I could see this as a film quite easily that would make a top 10 list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of Steel, 22 Jun 2013
This was my first venture into steampunk and also my first book by this author, I wasn't disappointed!!

I would say this is quite paranormal (which is a bonus as its my fave genre) with a steampunk twist, the steampunk element is mainly the descriptive elements i.e. the environment in which this story takes place, the modes of transport and items, some of the characters are "steampunk"

The world in which this story takes place is very well described and easy to imagine. The characters have depth and you really feel like you get to know them, the main characters are out leading lade Honoria, who is a very strong character with some real issues that needed to be addressed and the totally swoon-worthy Blade (where can I get myself one of him!!) whilst he's not your typical drop dead gorgeous hero you soon find yourself falling for him along side Honria as you read through the pages and immerse yourself in the intriguing world that Bec McMaster has created. The secondary characters in this also help make this a great book and I can easily see them going on to become main characters in further books in the series, I am definitely keen to learn more about young Will, Blades lieutenant and verwulfen aka "The Beast of Whitechapel" he has some issues and also I think Lena, Honoria's younger sister is going to be a firecracker of a leading lady.

I don't like spoilers in reviews and as such don't like to give much away about the plot in my own reviews. But I would like to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book and if you like anything paranormal or steampunk then read this, you will not be disappointed, I myself am moving straight on to book 2.

I cannot wait to read more from Bec McMaster and I really struggled to put this book down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›