5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic story!
Published 12 months ago by ed

3.0 out of 5 stars It's O.K. - but too convoluted
An interesting story with well drawn characters, but the method of telling the story made it hard work for me to discern a plot line.
Published 10 months ago by MR PETER ELLIS

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic story!, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
I cannot remember the last time I read a book which challenged me so much and yet which made me feel so good. The reader in this story embarks on an amazing and surreal journey into a world of fantasy and nightmare which is almost too close to reality to feel unreal. I felt this story was unique from the first page but nothing prepared me for what was to come. As I kept on reading I got drawn into this world of lies, weaknesses, secrets, jealousy and fear coming from characters which are so complex and yet so familiar and so human in their core that I could not help but feel for them.
The story is compelling, the suspense is palpable, but above all the humour is to die for! As for the ending, well, it took my breath away.
I cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 19 Jun 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Paperback)
Well. What can I say. Having finished this sprawling wonderful expanse of a novel, peppered with the most unlikely characters you will ever have the joy to encounter, and set in a future where the world we know has changed in indescribable ways, I am feeling quite honoured to be amongst the first in this country to read it. Winner of the 2007 Athens Prize for Literature, quite deservedly so in this reader's opinion, this is post apocalyptic fiction at its best. Not only that, Ioanna Bourazopoulou has managed to write a mystery, a thriller and an adventure all tied up into one wonderful package.

Rising oceans have engulfed much of the planet and changed the landscape forever. From amid this new world a strange "salt" peppers the earth, addictive and hallucinogenic, and controlled by the mysterious "Consortium" of the 75. In their strictly controlled Colony, their employee's live and work to a tight, unyielding rule of law, overseen by the governer and his six star bearers. When the governer is found dead, it is clear that chaos may well ensue, but what exactly are the 75 up to? Meanwhile, away from the colony, Phileas Book creates and publishes his strange and wonderful "crosswords" made up from letters sent to The Times, until one day, approached by a representative of the 75, he finds himself thrust into the mystery of what exactly happened in the immediate aftermath of the death of Governer Bera. By reading the letters of the six, he is asked to extrapolate a theory by using his "crossword" methods...but Book is suspicious. Of the Consortium, of the Six and of the motives behind the request. Was it murder? Or even something more sinister....

This is an extremely clever story...utterly insane in its concept in the best way possible, it will have you tied up in the most amazing literary knots - and the ultimate resolution may well take your breath away. It certainly did mine, because really, despite all the information being freely available I never actually came to the correct conclusion whilst engrossed in its pages. A lot of that may well be to do with the brilliant writing - the scene setting is superb and a lot of your head will be wrapping itself around this strange new world...and perhaps even imagining what your place in it might have been. And so the author distracts you from the clues you might otherwise have picked up on - with hindsight it was all perfectly clear but I would like to bet that the majority of you will scratch your heads just as much as I did both during and after reading the book. Which you must. Don't miss it! Phileas Book is perfect - through his eyes you will discover what went before - as one of the original survivors of the change, he leads us through the terror and the emotion - and why he now stagnates, creating his puzzles, but not really living in any real sense. The six all have their own brilliant mindsets - I wonder which you will sympathise with, hate or love....When you have read it come back and tell me. Enquiring minds want to know. This is inspiring writing - originality and the ability to surprise and delight has definitely not been lost as far as this author is concerned. I hope to see many more marvellous creations in the future.

To finish I must thank the publisher for sending me an advance copy of this novel, and I hope that the above review has done it justice. If you follow me on Twitter I will be talking about this one a lot - and pointing you in the right direction to find out more. Happy Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cleverly written story, 1 July 2013
Sonya Alford (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Paperback)
I would like to say thank you to Black & White Publishing for sending me this amazing book to review. 'What Lot's Wife Saw' was published last month in paperback. Winner of the Athens Prize for Literature in 2008, this novel has been translated by Yiannis Panas. A modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, it tells the story of a post-apocalyptic world.

Twenty-five years ago disaster struck when Southern Europe was flooded by the Overflow. Rome, Vienna and Istanbul were lost and loads of people died. Paris became a major port, whilst at the Dead Sea the earth opened up revealing a strange violet salt to which the world became addicted. The salt became big business and in order to manage the supply a colony was setup by the mysterious Consortium of Seventy-Five. Run by all types of people including murderers, forgers and fugitives, the Colony became a sanctuary to those fleeing from Europe, especially the privileged "Purple Stars".

The governor of the Colony dies in rather suspicious circumstances. The six officials panic and turn on each other, which sparks a terrifying chain of events. In Europe, the great crossword compiler Phileas Book who is known for creating the 'Epistleword' is recruited by the Consortium. They are after answers and they want them quickly! Who killed Governor Bera? He was unpopular and a number of people would have had a motive. Phileas is given the huge task of reading the six lengthy confessions which have been sent in and is ordered to sift the truth from the lies.

I wasn't too sure if I would like this novel, but once I started reading it my opinion changed quickly. After the first chapter I just knew this story was going to get really exciting and I wasn't proved wrong. I couldn't wait to read on, it just got more and more intriguing. This cleverly written story has been well thought out and it kept me guessing. The translation throughout is excellent. I also like the way the chapters have been arranged.

None of the six officials were particularly likeable though they were interesting, some more than others. I liked Phileas Book, he was certainly no fool. I felt really sad for him losing his parents, siblings and friends in the Overflow at the age of fifteen.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books!, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book from the very first page...before I could even imagine how clever and unpredictable it would be! It is a turn-pager and is worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars really great thought provoking novel, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a fan of e-books but it's wonderful to have a good read on my android phone for when I'm waiting in places and in a queue. This is a complex, thought provoking book that reminds me of the underlying theme of Animal Farm

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange story, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
Strange but a compelling read, once I gt into this book, I couldn't put it down.Not everyone's cup of tea but it made me think !

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable read, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
I very much appreciated this novel. Not only was it very well written but it was also a very imaginative and original apocalyptic novel. It requires the reader to do a bit of work and to engage with the text and immerse her/himself in the plot and characters. However, the effort is worthwhile even though there were occasions when I found my imagination stretched to follow the plot but the denouement pulled the threads together, so-to-speak, very effectively. An original and thoroughly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs reading twice, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
Interesting relationships between the characters but seemed to be overly repetitive at times. I almost gave up on it but was glad I didn't. Need to go back and reread it now I've reached the end to get more out of it. I don't want to give anything away about the plot - you need to read it for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Kindle Edition)
Really liked this book. From the start as the characters all point the finger of blame at one another and the reader wonders if they are all of them mad. This makes the ending unexpected and we'll with the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars A staggeringly inventive read, 28 Sep 2013
Kat (Swansea United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Lot's Wife Saw (Paperback)
Well! I was hoping for something a bit different when I opened this book, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Winner of the 2008 Athens Prize for Literature, What Lot's Wife Saw is a dazzling, hybrid crime novel that takes readers on an extraordinary journey of the imagination.

The novel is set in the future, twenty-five years after The Overflow, a tsunami that destroyed large portions of southern Europe, and whose cause was the eruption of a highly addictive violet salt through the Dead Sea Rift. The harvesting of this valuable commodity at a remote `Colony' is now controlled by the mysterious Consortium of Seventy-Five, but when the operation is placed in jeopardy following the suspicious death of the Colony's Governor, an expert is asked to help investigate.

And this is where things get really interesting. The expert is Phileas Book, who works for The Times newspaper compiling Epistlewords, a new kind of three-dimensional crossword shaped like a Greek meandros or key pattern, which uses fragments of letters (and the ways in which their `soundhues' interact with one another) as clues. For this reason, Book is asked to inspect six letters from inhabitants of the Colony who were close to the Governor, in the hope that he will be able to `detect' the truth of what happened. Along with Book, we are given access to the letters, and invited to take up the role of investigators, by comparing and contrasting the accounts of these rather dubious individuals, and trying to sift the truth from what may well be a tissue of lies. The six letter-writers are Bernard Bateau, Presiding Judge; Andrew Drake, Captain of the Guards; Montague Montenegro, Orthodox Priest; Charles Siccouane, the Governor's Private Secretary; Niccolo Fabrizio, Surgeon General; and Regina Bera, the Governor's wife. All have secrets that they would rather not share...

What I've said so far doesn't even come close to conveying the richness of the narrative, which manages - don't ask me how - to combine a re-imagining of the biblical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah with a critique of multinationals and totalitarianism. From a literary perspective, the novel feels like a slightly bonkers mash up of Thomas Pynchon (think the tour de force that is Gravity's Rainbow), Agatha Christie (won't say which one) and The Usual Suspects (super-stylish narrative construction). Really.

If you're looking for an easy read, then put this book to one side for now. But if you're in the mood for a challenging, vividly imagined and highly original crime novel with plenty of chutzpah and heart, then this one could be for you. A compelling read that's perhaps a little too long in the middle, but is redeemed by a bravura ending, What Lot's Wife Saw will stay in my mind for a while to come.

(Kat writes at the Mrs. Peabody Investigates crime blog).

What Lot's Wife Saw