4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut novel
Dolly is the story of a girl who is claimed from an orphanage when she is fourteen years old, by a man and woman who say that they are her aunt and uncle, though she doesn't remember them. We then follow Dolly on her journey through her life.

Published 12 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars The past needn't dictate the future
This book tells the story of Dolly who is claimed from the orphanage at the age of fourteen by an Aunt and Uncle she doesn't remember from her early childhood with her theatrical parents.

Published 16 months ago by C. Bannister

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut novel, 29 Nov 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dolly (Paperback)

I liked the setting of the story, I enjoyed that it was set in the early 1900′s in London, and this made the story very interesting for me as I liked the insight Jasmine gave us into what life was like then.

I was really curious about Dolly's aunt and uncle, why were they coming now? How would Dolly get on with them and the change from leaving the orphanage to being with them?

I liked Dolly, I really felt for her where she started off in an orphanage, and that made me warm to her straight away. I enjoyed the way that the story was written as it felt as though I was next to Dolly the whole time, experiencing everything that she went through on her journey at the same time as her. I don't want to spoil anything here, but I really admired Dolly's strength and courage in life and I was really cheering her on throughout.

Dolly is quite a long book at just over 570 pages, but don't let that put you off! In my opinion I like a big story as there's more to savour and to enjoy. Dolly has a bit of everything in, including the effects of war, family relationships, trying times and romance too. Dolly is a great debut novel from Jasmine Sparks and I'm really interested about what she will bring out next.

3.0 out of 5 stars The past needn't dictate the future, 7 July 2013
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)

Starting in 1917 Wartime London before switching to Bradford this rags to riches story covers many of the relevant issues of the time; the effects of war on those who fought in them as well as those who stayed behind, the rights of women in society as well as at home as well as those issues that we all have today including what makes a successful relationship. Dolly hasn't had the best start in life but she is a determined young woman determined to hide from the past.

I have to confess this isn't a book I would normally choose and I did find the third person narrative a little off-putting at first. The author uses Dolly's monologues to access her thoughts as the main device to put the reader in touch with the protagonistlead. I found the end of the book came quite suddenly with a hook which may mean this author is contemplating a sequel?

There is plenty to enjoy in this huge 575 page book with a great mixture of awful and wonderful characters which would make it perfect holiday reading for a lover of romance.

I received an ARC from the author which gave me the opportunity to read this novel and provide an unbiased review

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but so far is has not disappointed. I have yet to finish reading, but it has kept my interest throughout, the main character (Dolly) is quite believable, but at times I wonder if she would really have been so worldly-wise in matters of finance and property as such a young age - despite this, an enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant first few chapters when Dolly was in the orphanage ..., 30 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant first few chapters when Dolly was in the orphanage etc., From when she went to Bradford, there was a huge leap of faith in such a young girl being able to accomplish all that she did. Where did she get her business acumen from, the fact that she was able to have 'an old head on young shoulders' was also a stretch of the imagination. I also found myself looking back in the book for the era that it was written about and being amazed that lots of the story could actually be written about today. I do feel the events were not time appropriate.

One other annoying aspect was the large amount of dialogue which did not take the story anywhere. It was also written in italics, which were so frequent that the reader almost had to stress every word in a sentence. One is supposed to stress words written in italics, but this was totally impossible with the large amount written in this manner. A disappointing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading,, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
Everyone else has said what the story is about, so I won't bore you...it is a long book, but it doesn't seem to be....Dolly is a strong person, who has had more than her fair share of knocks in her young life, she is a young person with a old head on her young shoulders, I do forget how old she actually is at times, its a good read...althought her change/chance in life does seem a bit unreal, but never the less, you forget about that as the story continues..I haven't read all of the book yet, just over three quarter though, but its worth a read and i am sure the conclusion will be interesting, as all the loose ends come together....:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from my usual books, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book not an Author I'd tried before but must admit started it and didn't put it down until I finished it Hubby wasn't too pleased as we were on holiday.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not riveting reading, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
Rather an amateurish tale. I was not convinced by the main character, felt she was unbelievable, sorry. Parts of the plot were unconvincing too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dolly, 28 May 2014
What a dreadful way of writing the language went from 21century to the 19th
in parts. the story should have been great but wasnt.

2.0 out of 5 stars central character too mature fort background story, 22 July 2014
Mrs. S. L. Barber (Bedford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
Dolly used language and displayed qualities which were not credible to her background. Bland story and poor ending. Do not bother

3.0 out of 5 stars This author has great promise - and this was very good for a ..., 18 Aug 2014
Mrs. Mary Grant "Mary" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dolly (Kindle Edition)
This author has great promise - and this was very good for a first novel. I would not wish to write anything to stifle her natural talent with words. But I could not be convinced the words,language and thoughts could possibly be that of a 14 -15 year old child.I found it too long a read with so much unnecessary detail, On occasions I flipped through a few pages. And the ending was incomplete. But I will try any future novels by this lady.

Dolly