5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly awesome!
Here’s a book that blindsided me. I went in thinking it would be just about “okay” – and came out frothing at the mouth for the next one! Already preordered. But let me not get ahead of myself.

Published 6 months ago by S. Kadhim

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit Bland
The writing in Fortune's Pawn is tight enough. But I found the story of a space marine on a deep space trader a bot bland. There was very much a feeling of seen it before. Nothing wrong with that if it is written in an entertaining or engrossing way. But I did not see that in this book. I found it a perfectly average read.
Published 3 months ago by Robert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly awesome!, 8 Feb 2014
S. Kadhim "Lulu" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)

Deviana Morris is a gun-toting mercenary, with a hankering for danger and blasting pirates, who is ambitious as hell. While most mercs are happy to move up the ranks until they hit a cushy office job, Devi isn’t like that – she wants to be a Devastator, the most dangerous job in all of Paradox, and she’ll do damn well anything to get it.

Which is precisely why she gets herself a job on the Glorious Fool, captained by Caldswell, which is said to be cursed. After all, the Devastators count one year on the Fool to be the equivalent of five years service elsewhere. And since mercs don’t usually live for long, Devi decides to fast track her career.

But there are secrets aboard the Fool, ones she shouldn’t stick her nose in – but pigheaded little Devi can’t help but poke her nose in, endangering her life and, more importantly to her, her career. As if it wasn’t complicated enough, she finds herself ridiculously infatuated with Rupert, the ship’s cook – who seems to have some secrets of his own.

You can see why I was a little hesitant, right? Love and secrets – could be a Nora Roberts novel in space. Except, it’s not. Devi is a believable character – hardened from years as a merc, ambitious as anything, who answers violence with violence and puts her career before anything. She has never dated – only slept with casually – men before, so her reaction to Rupert’s soft kindness is understandable.

It’s also not as if she falls heads over and becomes reliant on him as a character – not at all! She feels like an idiot for her feelings, and she takes what she wants, whether it gets her into trouble at all.

I really loved Devi, but Bach’s secondary characters are colourful too – a bird navigator, who is bristly and has a superiority complex, an know-it-all alien doctor with a sense of humour and a sweet, if a bit kooky, hippy roommate. They provide a great backdrop for the novel, and I’m hoping to hear more out of them in the future novels – particular Hyrex. I loved him.

The mysteries come in midway through the book, and I’ve got some (what I think are) fairly good guesses towards them, but I’m anxious to find out. They aren’t overdone, and there are plenty to sink your teeth in to. I’m particularly intrigued as to what the hell the bugs are.

The prose is solid – nothing to write home about, but it does the job, moving the story about. The plot does meander in places, but it’s a nice break from the sometime relentless action in others.

Like I said, I’m pumped that the next two books are both coming out this year, and can’t wait to find out where Bach takes us next with the crew of the Glorious Fool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi at a faster than light pace, 6 Feb 2014
With a spaceship crewed by a motley lot of rogues with secrets, a mercenary guard in powered-armour who can take on any dozen of your average fighters without breaking a sweat, strange new worlds to explore and even stranger people and powers to deal with, Fortune's Pawn packs plenty into its pages. Rachel Bach doesn't give you long to catch your breath while the plot thunders on, and definitely doesn't give you time to get bored. She presents alien species and futuristic technology with the same matter-of-fact attitude that her heroine, Devi, maintains while taking on a job rumoured to be one of the most dangerous in the galaxy.

Devi is an engaging narrator and genuine badass throughout. Strong, determined, and clever, she's both an entertaining companion for the reader and a powerhouse for the plot, her decisions and agency always revealing more of the greater scheme of things, laying out intrigue and suspense for the full trilogy without leaving Devi herself to come across as helpless - she may be a pawn in the big game to start with, but we know she's a hothead with ambition from the word go, and if anyone can untangle the net of trouble laid out in this first book, it'll be her.

Fast paced and exciting, with a good balance struck between action, mystery, and romance, I'd recommend this most highly to anyone with even a passing interest in books by Anne McCaffrey or Elizabeth Moon, or anyone who enjoyed watching Firefly, Alien, or Star Wars. Essentially, if you like sci-fi at all you'll get something worthwhile out of this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Had a lot of fun with this one, 3 Feb 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
The first book in a cracking science fiction adventure and one that worked wonderfully for me as a mismatched crew struggle against impossible odds in a battle that only the select few know about. It has some cracking combat, some top notch prose and with an added love angle works delightfully well for me on so many levels.

Add to this a female lead character that feels like a futuristic knight (with modern weaponry) all round had me wanting more and whilst I’m not sure what will occur in the future, its definitely an epic in the making. Magic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining novel., 7 Aug 2014
Yvonne N (Wiltshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
A very entertaining novel. It definitely surpassed my expectations after some of the sci-fi drivel I've tried to plough through recently. This author can write and knows how to use description really well and to keep the reader engaged. It's a good adventure story, with interesting characters and some unexpected twists and turns. It has a bit of something for everyone really. Action, humour, romance, mystery. I read the book in two days flat and left all my housework to rot in the meantime. However the reason I haven't given it 5 stars, is because I'm not great on the action side and some of the fighting was just a tad long winded and repetitive for me, although nowhere near as drawn out and tedious as a lot of other books I've read. Also I felt that perhaps the thread of the ongoing mystery suffered a little at the expense of this and I would have liked to see the plot move along just a little faster. Also and I'm being really picky here, credibility was stretched a little thinly in places. In any case I have already downloaded book two to my kindle and can't wait to see if it's at least as good as this one. Could do with an injection of new characters now and a few more twists and turns and maybe a little less fighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Paradox" series book 1, 16 Jun 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
It's been a while since I read a book and wanted to rave to the world how seriously good it is. "Fortune's Pawn" most definitely falls into this category. From the first page I was hooked as amazing heroine Deviana (Devi) is introduced, her background expanded upon and her future goals made known.

From an early age Devi has had no problem facing confrontations, and her work as a highly skilled mercenary is only a stepping stone in her ambition to become a Devastator; an elite warrior responsible for the safety of the King God of Paradox. Devi has gone as far as she can in her current role, so after learning that just one year of security work with the notorious Captain Caldswell on his space ship could be considered the last job she needs before becoming a Devastator, she applies and proves successful.

Although there is a military content in the plot, this didn't deter my enjoyment at all. In fact I was left amused by Devi's devotion to her knight-class battle armour The Lady Gray and her beloved weapons; Sasha and Mia the guns and Phoebe the knife. Devi's girls may be inanimate objects, but in her hands they prove incredibly useful and almost verge on developing personalities, whilst what Devi can do whilst wearing The Lady Gray puts her on par with a superhero.

I've given a few books I've read recently 5 stars, which means I should really be allowed to award this book more. Not only is Devi a phenomenal leading lady, there are some fabulous additional characters that certainly impact on her. The alien and space environments are believable and well established, whilst the plot itself is a whirlwind of dramatic fight scenes and a growing number of mysteries; many of which surround Caldswell. The finale is fabulous, and I've immediately started reading book 2 "Honour's Knight".

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit Bland, 7 May 2014
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new series, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
I can't wait for the sequel. Rattles on at a good pace, with twists and turns. This is a classic "who's really the good guy?" story, where you're not sure where your loyalties should lie, and who anyone really is - themes I'm sure will be developed further in the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woof Grrrr, 11 Dec 2013
S. Pentney "The Scribe" (The English Riviera) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book hence the woof but it had its share of plot twists which took the story away from the main theme. Actually that's what a good story should do making you want more even though it can irritate sometimes, hence the Grrr. I will be looking for the sequel do I guess I can recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit adolescent in places but readable, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
On the whole the book had elements that lifted it above the 'it is okay' category, and I would indeed recommend it. I don't know if I would read the next book in the series, though. I might, but will try a sample first.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Space Adventure, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox (Kindle Edition)
This series has a good (if somewhat unstable, & overly fond of her weapons) lead character, & lots of trouble for her to get out of.

In general a good read with only one real down side, it finishes just when the story really starts to move making you rush out & buy the next book :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›