5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film 10/10
Published 19 months ago by Tony Cobb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Nicholas Sparks's adaptation.
Published 16 months ago by Lola

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Nicholas Sparks's adaptation., 16 Jan. 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoy reading Nicholas Sparks, I enjoy films based on his books (I cried my eyes out watching The Notebook [DVD], I watched and re-watched Dear John [DVD] a number of times). I was looking forward to seeing "Safe Haven". Boy, what a blow. A romantic story of a young woman on the run after killing someone - that's what we are led to believe in the beginning. But as it is often the case with the Nicholas Sparks novels, not everything is as simply as it seems. The heroine, Katie, is running from an abusive relationship in New England, and finds peace and safety and her Mr Right in a small town on a South Carolina coast. All hell breaks loose on the 4 July, and as it usually happens with this kind of films, the happy ending is inevitable.

I cannot critique the acting or the settings - the film is beautifully made and the acting is good. At the beginning there's a certain suspense, and there are a couple of twists towards the end. The "spiritual" twist of the last 5 minutes of the film is what made me add additional star to my review (I did not see that coming!), otherwise, the film showed two guarded adults falling in love way too quickly, and then suddenly there was the climax. There is not much of a struggle or any emotional insights into the hearts of the leads. This is not a love story I was expecting and no tears were shed in the end.

Not the best Nicholas Sparks's adaptation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film 10/10, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Safe Haven [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Let me start by saying that people keep knocking this movie, saying that the book is so much better, well it's not, not everyone reads books, some people actually like to see it on the big screen, and as the author of the book also served as director on the movie, I'm guessing he was pleased with it too. This film is absolutely stunning, the locations, the acting and the amazing twist I never saw coming! Julianna Hough is a rising star who shone throughout this film, and paired with Josh Duhammel, was very clever and worked! Beautiful story and stunning in HD. Dare I say it.... It may even be better than "The Notebook"

5.0 out of 5 stars ,Moving love story, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
I have just seen this film at the Cinema, and is every bit as good as the write up for this film, It captures the heart and makes you feel like you are really there, It is about a young woman who is involved with the wrong man, and is abused by him, she leaves and settles in a small seaside town and eventually falls in love with the store keeper, (who is absolutely gorgeous), Her past tracks her down, and her abusive husband catches up with her but in the end, there is a happy ending, A great chick flick, well worth seeing. Far better than the Notebook and Dear John.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basmalti - The King of Rices, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
Katie (Julianne Hough) is on the run from a past she doesn't want to remember and can't forget, armed with a handful of belongings, a bus ticket and a new hair style she vows to try move on.

Katie finds herself in a small town called Southport, North Carolina and after securing a job at the local restaurant and settling in to a small home in the middle of nowhere. Katie is finally starting to move on but despite the intention of not forming any solid relationships, she becomes friends with her single neighbor Jo (Cobie Smulders) and the local store owners young daughter, Kristen (played by the adorable Mimi Kirkland) and his seemingly troubled son, Josh played by Noah Lomax.

Through her new found friendship with Kristen, Katie gets to know her father, Alex (Josh Duhamel). Where from the get-go you can sense that he is fascinated by her and her decision to stick around in a sleepy town. With the encouragement of Jo, Katie lets go of her fears and begins to fall for Alex, just like he has for her. They're happiness isn't long lasting as a threat from Katie's past rears it's ugly head and threatens to sabotage the new life that she's made.

Safe Haven is a great romantic movie, with hints of thriller and suspense that will have you guessing wrong and guessing again as to what's going to happen next. With twists and turns throughout this at first seemingly simple love story about a girl wanting to move on and start a new life and falling in love along becomes so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has It All, 3 Mar. 2013
D. Newstead (Middlesex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
Read some reviews and was not expecting much. Thank you to all those people. Sitting down to it I thought well here goes for another by the books rom drama. How wrong was I, tension from the word go. Mystery as to what was happening, a beautiful girl in danger or is she? A great lead in Josh Duhamel. The film works on all points as you never know until the end which way the film is going and if it will be a happy ending or not. Lovely scenery to boot and a twist that verges just short of cheesy but really does its part.

Story involves a girl running away from a house where a body is laying in the lounge, she jumps on a coach and ends up in a sleepy town, meets a single dad with 2 kids who never really get obnoxious or irritating like in some films. Makes a new life with family and makes a friend who directs her in all the right directions in falling for the lead. The film never really gets too cheesy or slushy and always there is that what really happened earlier to quite late in the film which is only to the movies credit. There are some fight scenes and enough romance for everyone concerned

Being a guy it is difficult for me to say I loved this film, but thats the truth.

HANG ON maybe I should have given it 1 star and then people will really go mad for it like I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Mar. 2013
Mr. J. P. Scully (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film yesterday in the cinema with my girlfriend .We both really enjoyed it and I just cannot understand the indifferent reviews on various websites about it............ this is one of the best films I have seen for quite a while . As someone mentions it has everything in it ,so I have ordered the DVD from Amazon (when it becomes available) and watch it on my 3D television with better picture quality than that in cinemas plus not having my eardums blasted out by loud poorly balanced volume. So many films these days one forgets about 30mins after seeing them but not `safe Haven`.I loved the scene when she wanted to buy paint to do her floor!!

I am rating this 5 / 5 for the film as I have not got the DVD yet !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great until the end - SPOILER ALERT, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
I was excited for this movie as I love Nicholas Sparks (movies not novels).

I quite liked the fact that this was a little different to his others in the sense that there was a bit more crime than I'd seen in his movies before, you're thinking she's a murderer and yet you like her and feel sorry for her, knowing that there was more to it than her killing someone in cold blood.

Then there was Josh Duhamel - need I say more, the exact stereotype male lead that you (I) would hope for, to "fall in love" with and swoon over.

Then we hit the end of the film and woah Jo is a ghost, I mean, seriously?! Here we have a total realistic film and bam, there's a ghost, to say I was disappointed is an understatement and I really dont know what NS was thinking, it just turned the film into a joke. And now I'm going to totally contradict myself because even though we have the stupid said ghost I still love this movie and have watched it numerous times, I just pretend the ghost part isnt there and I'm happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good romantic film, not sure on ending., 16 Nov. 2014
E. Sloan (south east) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Safe Haven (Blu-ray)
This film was ok. I haven't read the book but am a big fan of the notebook. I did feel that maybe the ending was.... Not fitting somehow to the rest of the story. For me it just didn't seem to fit in with what the film seemed to be focused on: Katie escaping Boston from a bad relationship and meeting Alex. I still enjoyed it though. A good, standard romantic film with good characters, and ok storyline. And Alex is a total babe! Ha.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to watch it again!!, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Safe Haven [DVD] (DVD)
I thought it will be a boring, simple rom-com. I was very wrong! I never saw this actess before but apart from being beautiful - I think she did a great job in this movie! Also the leading man. But we knew that, I really like him in all the movies Ive seen with him. It was lovely and exciting and the twist in the end really made me shiver. I want to watch it again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like the other Nicholas Spark films, you will love this, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Safe Haven (Amazon Instant Video)
Really enjoyed this film with the twist that I didn't see coming

Safe Haven [Blu-ray]
Safe Haven [Blu-ray] by Lasse Hallström (Blu-ray - 2013)