4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it - SPOILER
Published 10 months ago by ColinNaraine

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story and build up, underwhelming conclusion
Published 8 months ago by JR

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it - SPOILER, 29 May 2013
I'm a die-hard horror fan. I began watching this film thinking that it will not live up to the hype (the producer who brought you 'Sinister' and 'Insidious'.) At first, I did not warm to the couple and yawned at the early 'scares'. But I must admit that after the big jump in the middle, I started to pay more attention. I love 'Paranormal Activity franchise and was gripped by the references made in this film. Suddenly I was hooked. The film is rather good with some eerie after thoughts concerning aliens that this film brought to light, not to mention together with the twist that I didn't see coming and possible opportunity for a sequel. The opening statement by AC Clarke was most definitely a scary one and well suited for this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story and build up, underwhelming conclusion, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
I was very excited to watch this film but missed it at the cinema, so got the DVD. The story is essentially Paranormal Activity but in place of a demon, it's aliens. The story builds up very nicely and subtly, as expected, and I was genuinely engrossed by it but I felt let down by the ending. It ends in a way which didn't leave me satisfied and it just seemed as though they were going to expand in a post-credits scene, but no. I guess we'll have to see in a sequel. Another minor thing that annoyed me was the CGI on the aliens, I know it's a low-ish budget horror film but they looked terribly unbelievable and for me it ruined the whole suspense.

On the actual DVD, there's a commentary with the director, writers and editor and a few deleted and alternate scenes.

Overall, a nice premise and good build up of a story with a conclusion that left me unsatisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it looking for top movie, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Skies [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
if you like drag me to hell and the conjuring then this is for you jeepers creepers get it you love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Saga, 2 Sep 2013
b. hibbins (Canberra, Act Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Skies [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
enjoyed the movie, fascinating story line. this film is an interesting ufo phenomena thriller.
well worth it, glad i got this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'IS ANYBODY THERE ? ', 30 Aug 2013
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dark Skies [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Strange things begin to happen around the 'Barrett' home firstly at night,
there is no logical explanation.
the incidents become more frequent and more intense as time elapses reaching
levels that make the family believe they are being threatened.............
intimidating experience.
a tense and chilling movie..........the film puts me in mind of movies such
as 'Signs' and 'Poltergeist'
ok....not a classic, however notably superior to many of the chiller's I've
seen recently, and does have........The Chill Factor .
( the universe is a mighty big place which is still growing, many-many Galaxy's
within, I myself believe we'd be a tad nave to believe we are alone )

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely dark and realistic, 21 Aug 2013
Elleppi (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Skies [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The great thing about this movie is that nothing really huge happens, until the end, yet it really unsettles you, because of its slow and progressively dark pace and because of its style, which makes you feel and live not just the surface of the events, but also the feelings of the characters.
It's like they took Paranormal activity, with its exhausting expectations for something that can happen anytime but does not until the end, and made it less amateurish and more cinematographic, resulting in something stronger and deeper because it seems to be less merely observational.
So basically it's a good movie, yet it could have been a masterpiece if it didn't reveal what it's about (aliens) at least for the first half (it would have been "funny" if it kept the mystery behind those extraordinary facts making you guess if it was about ghost instead of aliens, at least for a while).

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking and chilling, 17 Aug 2013
Ms. S. D. Woodhead (u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
The fact that i already knew from reading some other reviews here that this film was more science fiction based than super-natural did put me off a tad initially, but after watching this i gotta admit i found myself on edge throughout and not alot of films scare me, or chill me but this one did.....the story is surprisingly plausible and unfolds at just the right pace to capture and keep attention and you find yourself really caring for the main characters of the film.....the ending obviously leaves the doors open for a follow up film so don't expect a foregone conclusion or happy ending.....but do expect a good 93 mins of gripping, edge of your seat entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twist, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this film at the pictures and wasn't expecting it to end how it did. Very good film, so had to buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
Just finished watching it. I always wait till it's dark to watch it. This film is absolutely amazing. The story is great, easy to follow, some moments that make you jump (Depends on the person) Much better than Sinister and The Bay, and maybe better than Insidious, besides Saw, Insidious is my favourite film of all time, so for me to think about if Dark Skies is better has to mean its fantastic. I recommend it to any horror fan. You won't be disappointed. Also, while I was writing this, the credits were playing, and the tune was really creepy. And the music on the start up music is creepy and great too! You need to get this DVD added to your collection ASAP!

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to the nineties, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
Having spent my teenage years in the company of Scully and Mulder, watching their exploits every week, I sometimes forget that there might be one or two people out there who haven't watched the X-files.

`Dark Skies' (despite being named after a failed TV show/X-files clone in the nineties about an alien invasion) is about... well, it's actually about aliens. It's like the film-makers have taken the typical `horror film template' and, instead of having a regular family harassed by ghosts/monsters/whatever, they've had them harassed by aliens.

During the X-files, Scully once - cynically - said, "The alien abduction culture is now so prevalent in our society that you can ask anyone to imagine what it would be like and they would come up with the same story." What we have in Dark Skies is basically your typical alien abduction story. Yes, alien abduction stories have taken a back seat in recent years (basically since the X-files ended), but obviously the producers have felt that a suitable enough amount of time has elapsed and people might have forgotten how many there were in the nineties.

If you like horror (and possibly science-fiction) and have never seen an alien abduction story, you may well find this pretty different and scary. The aliens are creepy, the characters well-acted and the film overall quite enjoyable. Therefore, it probably deserves 4 or 5 stars (depending on how generous you're feeling).

However, I've watched the X-files. I've seen this done better on a weekly basis. I felt that Dark Skies was nothing I had seen a hundred times. It used the clichés of having the kids being targets first and their parents not believing them and fighting over what was real and what wasn't. The police then show up, but are basically useless. Then when the parents do come round to the idea of the paranormal, they seek the help of an expert (and there's always an `expert' conveniently on hand to fill in the plot points).

The X-files had the advantage of running for nine series, therefore we could slowly learn the aliens' agenda. However, Dark Skies never really lets us know what these mysterious visitors want. Even some of the bits that are meant to be scary actually made me laugh (aliens seem to want to make us pull funny faces). So, without adding anything new to the alien abduction mix, I found this watchable, but made me feel like we haven't got anything new to say on the subject in the last twenty years or so.

ARRAY(0xadec0798)

Dark Skies [Blu-ray]
Dark Skies [Blu-ray] by Scott Stewart (Blu-ray - 2013)
7.00