5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another gem from Rachel Joyce.
The more I read of Rachel Joyce the more I think that her long involvement with theatre has been behind her ability to create such credible characters. I was irritated by Beverley, frustrated by Diana and wanted to give 'Jim' a big hug and tell him it would all be alright in the end. Then along came Eileen.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff with a clever denouement...
Published 8 months ago by channelislander

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I loved Rachel Joyce’s first novel, ‘The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry’, but found her second one harder to get through.

On the one hand, we follow the lives of Byron, his family and his friend James over the course of a summer in the 1970’s. An accident, two additional seconds and a childish need to right a wrong will have...
Published 14 months ago by Macey89

‹ Previous | 129 30 3140 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, beautifully written, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written, emotional book that looks at non-perfect people perfectly.
Highly recommended as a Book Club book.
Thanks Nicki...I absolutely loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good a read as 'Harold Fry', 27 April 2014
Mrs. Diane M. Hellyer (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect (Paperback)
I loved 'Harold Fry'. found it hard to put down. This book, whilst clever, is not as engaging. It has a clever twist but I only finished it because I thought I should!

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting and moving, but frustrating, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
This book is well-written, but I got very annoyed with the characters all completely failing to see the obvious, and with a fairly lazy "twist" at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
After reading Harold Fry I thought I'd give this one a try, excellent book, really enjoyed it and would highly recommend. Lovable characters and a fantastic story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Good period piece, if a little over egged. I lived through this time and we never ever called it anything other than squash - orange squash if we were feeling verbose. These were the heady days before the obsession with branding sank its sharp and tainted claws into the flesh of impressionable mankind. If the author's research is worn too bright, as it is here, I am constantly distanced from the text - and not in a literary way.
So I have started with the bad, I will end with the good. The sense of barriers, between classes, sexes, and between the seemingly mentally healthy and the mentally ill, is well conveyed and anyone with a yearning for 'the good old days' should take heed. The narrative takes some unlikely turns, but that's okay in my book(s) - I like a romping yarn and am not as strict about story as I am about style!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically perfect., 24 July 2013
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I liked "Harold Fry" but I loved this.

It reminded me of " The Go Between", where a child interferes disatrously in an adult's world during one summer, and it affects the whole of his future life.
Whilst reading it I at first thought that Jim was one, then the other, of the boys and I wasn't sure until it was revealed quite near the end. All the supporting characters were interesting, although I felt that Lucy was forgotten for most of the time (this may have been intentional), and I was not sure of Beverley's motivation. Paula, Darren and Mr Mead were comic relief and heart warming in their support of Jim.
The meeting of the children as adults was very satisfying, and all the ends were neatly tied. The epilogue made my heart soar. Thank you, Rachel, please write more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Hardcover)
Rachel Joyce is a brilliant writer. This book really questions what we live for, how we evaluate it and what drives us. She has great insight into characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Very thought provoking. Thanks Rachel Joyce. Lots of different emotions evoked. Would and have recommended it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how Rachel does it. She transports you to the very centre of her characters without you knowing. I for one, can not wait for her next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing like her previous book, 2 July 2014
Mr. Malcolm Gaskell "dabber" (Nantwich ,Cheshire ,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect (Paperback)
A rather silly story ,nothing like her previous book,some you win ,Some you lose ,no reflection on the seller I still think this author has potential

‹ Previous | 129 30 3140 | Next ›