5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Achievement
Published 8 months ago by sharona27

3.0 out of 5 stars Reworking of the classic from the servants' point of view
'There could be no wearing of clothes without laundering, just as surely as there could be no going without clothes, not in Hertfordshire anyway, and not in September.'

Published 17 months ago by Purpleheart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Achievement, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
To contextualise: I am a big Austen fan and I teach "Pride and Prejudice" every year so I can be hard to please! For example, "Death Comes to Pemberley" was better on the TV in my opinion. What makes "Longbourn" a success is that it doesn't try to reimagine Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's courtship. In fact, the latter barely features which many will hate, but why the novel works. Baker also avoids massacring Austen's original characters - PD James's reworking of Colonel Fitzwilliam anyone? For diehard Lizzie Bennet and Mr Darcy fans - this is not for you. Naturally, both characters are remote. There will be some fans appalled by one or two plot twists involving Mrs Hill which are a bit more risqué. An enjoyable novel which tackles the criticism levelled at Austen: no awareness of the lower / servant classes, little awareness of the Napoleonic war and slavery / money from plantations. If you want more than 'P&P: The Redux' this is well worth your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reworking of the classic from the servants' point of view, 3 Sept. 2013
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)

I liked the premise the opening sentence makes clear - seeing the events of Pride and Prejeudice from the point of view of the servants and gaining insight into the lives of the ordinary classes that Austen barely mentions. The novel opens well but is somewhat formulaic. It's as if Baker decided to make a list of what Jane Austen leaves out: war, politics, sex with overworked servants and then wrote a novel to address those. Clearly Austen didn't write state of the nation novels but her dialogue was great, her characters always believable, and her wit sparkling. Despite the current fashion of considering P&P to be chick lit, it is a sharply observed novel on one strata of society. It is pitch perfect. This novel strained my credulity - can you imagine Mr Collins having a chat about his choice of Bennet girl with a maid? For me, it added few new insights into Jane Austen's novel despite key references to slavery and fortunes made from sugar. Those are important issues, as were the difficulties of dismissed servants and I would have felt that more if Jo Baker had been able to simply concentrate on her own characters. I suppose that is the key point. A book like Wide Sargasso Sea (Penguin Modern Classics) casts new light back on our reading of Jane Eyre (Wordsworth Classics) and particularly its view of women and the exploitation of the colonies. I don't think this novel pulled that off - perhaps because it tried to pack too much in.

The strongest section is the first - a well imagined account of laundry day from the point of view of Sarah, the maid and main protagonist. 'If Elizabeth had the washing of her own petticoats, Sarah often thought, she'd most likely be a sight more careful with them,' is a good example of where we gain a different view of Elizabeth Bennet's trampling over muddy fields to her sister. The drudgery that supports the lives of the Bennets is well described, as is the contrast with the much larger house of the Bingleys.

I think an important question is whether the novel could stand on its own without the link to the original. In my view it doesn't, despite some enjoyable passages. The ending of Longbourn departs entirely from Pride and Prejudice and is the weakest part of the novel. I suppose I should learn my lesson from this, and Death Comes to Pemberley, and leave this sub genre of Austen prequels, sequels and re-imaginings alone.

Having said that, I seem to be in the minority of the reviewers here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Richly Imagined, Engaging and Entertaining, 15 Aug. 2013
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Longbourn (Hardcover)
Jane Austen is a favourite author of mine and, as such, I have always avoided reading any sequels, prequels or retellings of her novels, as I feel they would only disappoint - however Jo Baker's 'Longbourn' is something rather different and I must admit that I was pulled into this book from the very first pages. 'Longbourn' focuses on the lives of the servants who work for the Bennet family (from 'Pride and Prejudice') and the story is told almost entirely from the servants' perspective, so there is a lot of gritty 'downstairs' life and very little of the more genteel 'upstairs' variety.

In the servants' quarters we meet our main heroine, the housemaid Sarah, an attractive and determined young woman, similar in age to the older Bennet girls, but obviously leading a very different life. Then there is the cook/housekeeper, Mrs Hill (who has a painful secret she has had to keep hidden for years), her husband, Mr Hill, the butler (a man with secrets of his own) and lastly, twelve-year-old Polly, the kitchen maid. Into their busy, but quiet and uneventful lives arrives a new footman, James Smith, a dark, attractive man with a rather mysterious past, who finds himself falling for Sarah. However, Sarah, although initially attracted to James, feels a little rebuffed by his reluctance to discuss his past life, and consequently she finds herself becoming rather interested in the very good-looking Mulatto manservant, Ptolemy, who works for the Bingleys at Netherfield Park. But what is it that James is trying to hide from Sarah and should Sarah really be considering Ptolemy in a romantic light? (No spoilers, we learn most of this early on in the novel and there is a lot more for prospective readers to discover and enjoy).

This is a very atmospheric and wonderfully described story where the reader follows the servants in their day-to-day work, so we experience Sarah's back-breaking work with the family laundry ("If Elizabeth Bennet had the washing of her own petticoats, Sarah thought, she would be more careful not to tramp through muddy fields"); we feel the pain of Sarah's chapped and chilblained fingers; we clean and blacklead the grates; we beat the Turkish carpets and sprinkle tea leaves to gather the dust; we even have to empty the evil-smelling chamber pots that the genteel folk upstairs leave for Sarah to dispose of. And, as the author cleverly weaves threads from the original 'Pride and Prejudice' into her story, we also experience certain aspects of Bennet family life and are able to eavesdrop on family conversations, which makes for very entertaining reading.

In addition, Jo Baker is not just adept at describing indoor life - her descriptions of the Hertfordshire countryside were a pleasure to read, and her brief, but powerful depiction of a certain soldier's wartime experiences revealed during the course of the book was an interesting and involving aspect of the story. This, therefore, is a novel which works on different levels: as an exploration of injustice, inequality and poverty, but also as a romantic story of love and loyalty; it's not Jane Austen, of course, but it's not meant to be, and despite my initial misgivings I am pleased to say that I was entertained by this novel and read the entire book in one enjoyable sitting. Attractively presented and with each chapter headed with an extract from the original novel, Jo Baker's 'Longbourn' is a richly imagined story that makes for an engaging weekend, bedtime or anytime read, and one for which the film rights have already been acquired.

4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly good book, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
This is the other side of Pride and Prejudice - seen from the point of view of the servants and domestic staff, who have their own lives and loves, but who are constantly vulnerable to those 'above' them. For them, life is 'a trial by endurance, which everybody, eventually fails'.

This book succeeds in every facet. It is full of historical detail, whether of the drudgery of daily life or the horrors of an early nineteenth century war. The great and well known story of Austen's book is always relevant, but deftly kept in the background of this tale. Sarah and Smith, the lead characters are beautifully drawn, the former innocent but knowing and the latter more worldly but anchored in decency. There is immense confidence in the writing, which is not afraid to take its time to tell the story, yet rarely drags. An outstanding achievement - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking dose of reality to Pride and Prejudice, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
Highly recommended. I've read all Jane Austen's novels and loved them and have been deeply disappointed to read other authors continuances of the books and story lines with their fantastical unrealistic plots, and poor imitations of Jane's style and language. For that reason I was reticent to buy Longbourn, but now I'm so pleased I did.

The style is not one that mimics Austen, the story lines are plausible in a parallel time frame. There is an earthy reality to the trials and tribulations of the majority of the population at this point in Britain. Unpalatable but fair descriptions of the French Wars (think Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe, again without the officer class point of view) and therefore Jo makes it possible to feel a deep empathy with the Characters of Sarah, James and Mrs Hill.

I thought about this book and the characters in daydreaming moments when I wasn't reading, it moved me and I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Austen but finds her work a little too saccharine at times. This is reality with the odd silver lining and a light sprinkling of romantic denouement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, moving, plausible, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Paperback)
I do not generally like spin-offs of classic fiction, and resisted reading this for a while, but having now read it, I thoroughly agree with all the good reviews. Pride and Prejudice is one of the most perfect books ever written, and I suppose the success of this book is down to the fact that it does not try to recreate or offer a sequel to Austen's story.
It is beautifully written, moving and well researched historically. Fascinating to learn about how soap was made, and realise how much of a chore it must have been washing out menstrual rags and soiled nappies.
I loved the servant characters and I thought the added insight into the characters and back-story of the Bennets, Wickham etc. was clever and plausible. The details on the Napoleonic Wars, slavery etc. also very well drawn. Much social comment to be pondered!
A really enjoyable, clever read, look forward to more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
A book that makes our beloved Austen characters seem like insignificant butterflies in comparison the the iron hearts and hard work of the real-life servants. I absolutely loved this book, and for me the best part was the author's assurances that no matter what might go on 'upstairs', ordinary working people were the stars of their own stories as much then as now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Below stairs at Pemberley, 25 Jun. 2014
Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR "Pen" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Longbourn (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story of the servants of Pemberley in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. IT is a romantic story as is P and P, with a socio-political stance, showing how the lower classes loved and lived. Hard work. Nicely plotted, intelligently written, but not hard work to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assured, absorbing, and completely respectful of Austen's original, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Longbourn (Hardcover)
Confession; I love Pride and Prejudice (not quite as much as Persuasion, but...) It's the book I've read and reread more than any other. So I must admit to more than a slice of apprehension on first reading Longbourn, in which Jo Baker tiptoes below stairs to reflect the servants' story. I need not have worried. Baker takes the original and respectfully, assuredly serves up a new tale full of hope, betrayal, anxiety, war and (yes) while the Bennet family play out their own histories upstairs. This is very much a fresh and completely satisfying entire novel all its own, with Baker's own voice. We have a new, richly drawn heroine and hero, not without their own flaws. There's no flinching from the grimier and grittier side of life in servitude, but there are so many light moments of hopefulness and blossoming romance that keep the reader turning the pages. One for Austen fans, yes, absolutely - but read it for itself, I really urge you. Longbourn deserves that and so much more. Wonderful!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea but somewhat hit and miss, 11 Jan. 2015
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
There are many books that have riffed off Pride and Prejudice and many terrible unauthorized sequels like PD James 'Death Comes To Pemberley', because of this I was somewhat wary of Longbourne and came to it quite late.

What makes it different, and the reason I gave it a chance is that it offers something that feels like a fresh take by retelling the story from the perspective of the Bennett families lowly servants on their small estate.

I enjoyed this book but I also found it quite hit and miss. Some of it is very well observed. Would Elizabeth Bennett for example have traipsed about the countryside getting her petticoats three inches deep in mud if she'd had the washing of them? Ditto other household chores of the age like making soap from scratch and having to boil and reuse menstrual napkins.

By sheer coincidence, prior to reading this book I'd had a long conversation on Twitter about the uncertain nature of Mr Bingley's background. Just why was a young man of breeding and fortune on the hunt for a Rent-A-Mansion? Why didn't he have a family seat?

This book posits that the Bingley's made their money from the slave trade and were plantation owners which suddenly casts the affable cheery Mr Bingley in a new unpleasant light. But this got me to thinking that with all of our landed gentry Austen heroes a good source of their wealth must have come from exploitation of those 'beneath them' be it slavery, or through owning mills or collieries or via the feudal system.

It does take a wider perspective of life at the time and that it wasn't all drawing rooms and balls for everyone.

Sarah, a maid and one of the main characters, who begins to fall for the new footman James is likeable as a protagonist, and the much harried Hill, likeable too, and there were a lot of nuances about the James back story that I liked in terms of the way they impacted the original novel. I liked how each chapter was prefaced with a sentence from a Pride and Prejudice indicating which part of the novel Sarah's story was running concurrently to. I also loved how the below stairs staff were completely on to Mr Wickham from the start.

It does have a tendency to drift though, and the section featuring James's experiences in the army was unnecessary. For reasons I can't be clear on without spoilers the denouement is quite silly and would have worked much better had the roles been reversed.

It's a good book, if not a great one.

Longbourn