5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and definitely not just for the young.
Very occasionally, a book comes along which grabs you from title to blurb and this was one of them.
I am a sucker for a twisted fairytale, and in a sense I suppose this qualifies as that. It's narrated in an utterly delightful and direct fashion and is much more realistic (if that's possible) than most fairy stories.

I adored every second of it, and highly...
Published on 18 July 2012 by Lfletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars THE GIRL WHO CIRCUMNAVIGATED FAIRYLAND .....
Having seen it featured and positively raved about on so many blogs this has been on my Wish List for a long time but I kept putting off for fear it may not live up to all the hype. Something as it turns out it both did and didn't do.

For the sites requiring a star rating, as an exceptionally whimsical and magical read with some truly memorable characters aimed...
Published 11 months ago by Tracy Terry

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Moonshine and Magic in Kaleidoscopic Hues, 29 Dec. 2012
Anthony Yeulett (London) - See all my reviews
Every beautiful dream has to end but having emerged reluctantly from Gaiman's "Neverwhere", I was mesmerized, enthralled and not in the least disappointed to be seduced into Valente's Fairyland wherein ornate landscapes of unsurpassed imagination furnish a tale of innocence, wonder and gentle humour comparable and equal in grandeur to "Alice in Wonderland". This book is a holographic and boundless canvas of entrancing psychedelia panning out before you; a lavish treasure chest awaiting your discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 14 Dec. 2012
Wow! I half expected this to be very tame and kiddy (not necessarily a bad thing!) but it was so much deeper than that. Hit me right in the emotions, particularly at the end. It's well paced and the characters are really nicely written. If you are a sucker for things like fairy tales and mythology, I would definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the young, and young at heart!, 31 May 2012
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I first noticed this book when I saw an advert for it, and I requested a review copy just because I loved the cover! The publishers very kindly sent out a copy, and thankfully the contents didn't let me down.

On face value, this is a fairytale for children - September is a twelve year old girl who's taken away by a Green Wind and a Leopard, and taken to Fairyland. She meets some strange characters, gets involved in some strange incidents, and goes on a quest. However, things are not as they should be, and September may just be the person to fix things.

This is not, however, *just* a tale for children, as there's plenty on offer for adults. It's an imaginative world, where the usual rules don't apply, and nothing is really as it seems. The writing style is lyrical and rather wonderful, and it's easy to lose yourself in the world, and almost hope to visit!

It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland and Labyrinth, with a proper plot running through, and some colourful, memorable characters, such as the wonderfully loyal dragon who believes his father is a library! I'm hoping Catherynne returns to this world soon, and I'd love to see it made into a film.

Recommended for children, and those young at heart - lose yourself in this weird but delightful world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for grown-ups, 19 Mar. 2015
I mistakenly bought this for my daughter who is 4. Oops. Obviously it's a bit advanced for her! So I decided to read it myself, and I'm so glad I did - it's brilliant! A wonderful story, engagingly written. I just bought the next one in the series...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 20 Dec. 2013
Amazingly imaginative and vocabulary stretching too! I would definitely recommend this book to adults, teenagers and higher key stage 2 readers. Will definitely be purchasing the follow up.

3.0 out of 5 stars To be honest I never actually reached the end - ..., 2 Aug. 2014
To be honest I never actually reached the end - it is well enough written (hence the 3 stars rather than 2) but the characters never really made me care about what happened to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this made me feel like a child discovering magic, 9 Mar. 2013
This book is an enchanting delight, the characters are well realised and there is just the right balance of sinister in our young protagonist's experiences in fairyland.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 31 Oct. 2013
An unusual story that will be a great read for my more advanced Year 6 pupils who are in to fantasy. Quite a different feel to this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Books for enjoyment, 5 Aug. 2014
I really enjoyed this book as it was so easy to read but made me think of things that happen in ones life and how one deals with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual and my kids loved it, 10 Mar. 2015
Unique, sad, funny and strange. Definitely worth a read, especially if you have kids that think they know all about fairyland!

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›