4.0 out of 5 stars a quick read
Penelope Lively always writes well. This little book captures a small part of a girl's experience of travelling abroad. Ideal for a train journey or waiting in the dentists'.
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too Little Content!
Published 23 months ago by Rowena

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too Little Content!, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Abroad (Penguin Specials) (Penguin Shorts/Specials) (Kindle Edition)
I usually love anything written by Penelope Lively, and this story did not disappoint. The period details especially were very authentic. My big criticism is that there was no opportunity to look inside the pages on Kindle, and the only blurb was that of the publisher. Had I known how short this story was I would definitely not have paid £1.99 for it. I was expecting a collection of short stories and not just one!

I think Penguin need to revise their prices of these Short/Specials, and not just use them as a means of advertising other books. They are just not worth the money - hence my 2 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 27 July 2013
I had a 'Look Inside' and there was no real sample of the book, just sales blurb. I noted that 'Abroad' is only available on Kindle. Could this be anything to do with the fact that no one in their right mind would go into a shop and spend £1.99 on a paperback with only 20 pages in it? This would equate to something just over £29 for a 300 page book. I think I'll wait until it appears as a daily deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars a quick read, 20 Aug. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 17 Oct. 2013
This was okay. A bit of chick lit really, but I'm not sure I would have bothered if I'd read any of this author before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and amusing story, 16 Oct. 2013
In this story the author is looking back at a time when she was young and enjoying a relationship with a fellow artist. Together they turn their backs on stuffy, bourgeois England and travel abroad to live and work amongst authentic rural workers - peasants- in their simple settings. How this eventually goes very wrong, and destroys the relationship makes for a very clever and interesting story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Specials, very short, not really value for money!, 15 Oct. 2013
Bought this because Penelope Lively is one of my favourite authors, but there was very little indication that it was only 20 pages long. I felt a bit cheated after having paid £1.99 and wish it had been more obvious what "Penguin Specials" means.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, as far as it went, 2 Oct. 2013
I knew when I bought this that the Kindle Specials were short, but this was shorter than most. I enjoyed the story, but di feel rather cheated by its brevity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Good Read, 27 Sept. 2013
So short I was amazed at the price it was. I will not be buying any further Penguin Shorts/Specials, what a shame it was by favourite author. I would have expected this to be part of a short story book with lots of other stories as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 27 Aug. 2013
I was really looking forward to this story as I have enjoyed Penelope Lively's novels. However this story never really got going for me. The descriptions of the countryside were really good but there was not enough of a story to hold the book together. Overall a bit of a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, 23 Aug. 2013
Impossible to call this a book, an essay maybe, over before you can blink. Felt I was just getting in to it and then it finished.