5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner!!
Thoroughly enjoyable. This was the first of Steve's books I read, and it made me want to read more of them. Love the interaction between the two detectives, and the humour. Highly recommended!
Published 26 days ago by Alison B

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too much
Published 8 months ago by Aurora

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too much, 5 July 2014
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder at the Art & Craft Fair (Book 6 Dekker Cozy Mystery Series) (Kindle Edition)
I generally try to be positive in my reviews but this book does present quite a challenge for me in that regard. Whilst I didn't hate it enough to give up on it, I did feel my brain cells dying at times. The premise of two semi-retired homicide detectives living lives which do not appear to have progressed beyond their early teenage years gets a little wearing. There is a great deal too much about the food they like to eat - constantly - despite the fact that they are supposed to be losing weight and getting fit. That attempt at fitness being an excuse to play on a Wii every day. The endless talk and descriptions of Cy's relationship with his girlfriend are also too much, the nauseating repetition of the kissing and snuggling would put the average 16 year old to shame - these are middle aged men constantly fantasising about when they will next kiss their lady friends, not to mention the carry on in the back seat of the car, whether on a journey or on the back row of the drive-in! Whilst I have no problem with middle aged couples finding love and romance, I can't think of many who would behave like this. The men are constantly bantering in the same style as teenaged boys, throwing lighthearted insults because they know each other so well that they can be sure that no offence will be taken. Enough Please!! As the only other reviewer so far has said, there is only so much "quirky humour" a person can take.

The author takes three chapters to describe all the stalls at a craft fair, we are treated to the details of what is on offer at every single stall - far too much information. Information about what the detectives know or think they know is repeated time and again. It seems that the author is trying to fill the story out to make it last longer, which leads the reader to ask if there is really enough here to make a story.

Fortunately at the time I downloaded it, this book was free, I would have felt somewhat aggrieved if I had paid money for it. I hate to write totally negative reviews but I am struggling to find anything positive to say about this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The humour soon palls, 1 Aug. 2014
If reduced to about a tenth of its length, this would be a good mystery short story. but the two ageing detectives act like lovestruck teenagers on their first date, and that, together with their constant focus on food and, to a lesser extent, dieting and exercise (or lack of it) makes for pages and pages of prose that has nothing to do with the central plot (such as it is). What is funny for the first few pages soon palls. I read it to the end to see whether it would get any better, but it didn't. I know this series has its fans, but it's not for me, I'm afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 5 July 2014
Book was ok, wouldn't say it was in the top 50 of best books I've read, but was enjoyable and easy reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars The quirky humour is not for me., 3 July 2014
Sorry, but the quirky humour just got too much in the end and I couldn't even finish it. Some readers might love it but it's not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner!!, 5 Mar. 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the beach!, 4 Aug. 2014
This was a relaxing read, the plot less important than the interaction between the characters. I enjoyed the struggles of the men to stick to their diet and exercise plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy reading couldn't put it down, 28 July 2014
Just to say My kind of book, easy reading couldn't put it down. great. Looing forward to the others in the series

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 4 Sept. 2014
Rubbish would not choose this author again did not like writing style .

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 July 2014
a very good read once you get used to the detectives sense of humour

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 Oct. 2014
hard to appreciate the humour,a bit slow going