The stars are for The Shiralee. I have known about the film for many years but never seen it. Bought this collection and watched it for the first time in my 70s. Had expected something quite sentimental and moving - well, moving it was and extremely good - but much much tougher and harder edged than I had expected.

Great performance by Peter Finch in a role...
Published 2 months ago by Wil Andersen

1.0 out of 5 stars I would still like to see the film since I can not get ...
The reason I gave it one star is, I was un aware that I could NOT play a DVD from the UK on a computer in USA, so I can't watch it.
I would still like to see the film since I can not get this here in the US.
Published 3 months ago by Lynn Maher

5.0 out of 5 stars moving it was and extremely good - but much much tougher and harder edged than ..., 30 Sep 2014
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ealing Studios Rarities Collection - Volume 5 [DVD] (DVD)

Great performance by Peter Finch in a role that could be quite unsympathetic. Some of the last half was a little crude compared with the first but still a wonderful film and I will watch it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Of interest to those who like British films that predate the 'swinging 60's', 2 April 2014
I am currently working my way through the Ealing Rarities collections, up to volume #7 so far.
It should be noted that on average only 1 of the 4 films in each set is made by 'Ealing Films' the remander being made at the studio before M.Balcon set up the production company, this is the case here with 'THE SHIRALEE' being the Ealing Films production and the best of the bunch, but all are worth a look, if you are a fan of old British films.

4.0 out of 5 stars played by a child who only ever made one other film) and good Australian locations, 9 Nov 2014
WSH (NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Only one of the four films offered in this package is really worth watching: The Shiralee. It is an above-average production, deftly directed, with a strong cast (especially Peter Finch and his 8-year-old daughter, played by a child who only ever made one other film) and good Australian locations. Of the others, The Ware Case may be worth one run through, but the two oaters on disc two can be consigned to the bin without hesitation. If you don't like waste that might put you off, but if the price is right I'd recommend buying the lot just to get The Shiralee. The sound and image on the recommended film are both acceptable, although there are noticeable imperfections.

5.0 out of 5 stars bygone days, 7 Dec 2014
An excellent collection of rare films - great opportunity to see some films that don't often get seen these days

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't have enjoyed it more, 9 Sep 2014
This set includes a perfectly delightful selection of English film favourites. I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ealing Studios - Volume 5, 8 Sep 2013
'The Shiralee' has long been a family favourite and it was good to see it again. A nice family film from the later days of Ealing

5.0 out of 5 stars Ealing Studios., 22 Jan 2014
Great to see some the excellent B pictures, produced by Ealing, just after the war. The sender was very very efficient, and the dvd arrived promptly.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would still like to see the film since I can not get ..., 26 Aug 2014
I would still like to see the film since I can not get this here in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars My comments, 24 Feb 2014
Always excellent delivery . Its so easy t lookup DVD's and saves time wandering around stores. You have the rarer items I want.

The Ealing Studios Rarities Collection - Volume 5 [DVD]