4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful and practical peek under the bonnet of Amazon
Published 23 months ago by David Wailing

3.0 out of 5 stars Pinch of salt?
I've read my fair share of 'trade secret' books and 'this is how I succeeded' testimonials. Some being informative, the others just merely obvious banter from authors who genuinely don't know the luck factor involved. This one came somewhat in between, being quite the fan of Gaughran's blog and his previous effort, 'Let's Get Digital'

I must confess, my...
Published 23 months ago by lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Pinch of salt?, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Publishing Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

I must confess, my reservations about this release were already present before I delved into it. Reasons for which, I will conclude with.

Gaughran obviously knows what he's talking about. At least the information herein isn't a constant battering of 'tweet this' 'blog that'. He seems to understand the inner workings of Amazon's somewhat bizarre sales structure and rank.

However, I come to my major gripe here - Gaughran's 'success' itself. Obviously, I have no idea what he makes and I dare say it's none of my business and I might be wrong. Maybe he sells millions under another pen name. That said, currently his works of fiction are nowhere near the sales rank required to make a living. Valparaiso, at the time of writing in the UK, is 130,000. From personal experience, that means you're selling a handful of copies every week. His two non-fiction efforts, however, are riding nicely near the top, probably being the crust earner. For me, that is somewhat bizarre. We have someone who's struggling to sell fiction as much as myself, selling huge amounts of instructional books, describing how to get said books noticed! And perhaps that's why this book was made, instead of another fictional offering.

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but common sense would tell you to take advice with a pinch of salt, when the person giving it struggles to succeed with his own methods.

2.0 out of 5 stars Larger pinch of salt than the three star review...., 31 July 2013
I've been independently published for nearly 2 years now and have read all the articles about marketing that I am ever going to want to read for the rest of my LIFE, and have worked other stuff out for myself. Having observed much over these nearly two years, I think that nothing works better than Amazon visibility - which is why I bought this book.

I've given it two stars because there IS some good advice in it. However, the actual information about how to become more visible on Amazon is not as plentiful as the information about how good it will be when you ARE (more visible on Amazon). One piece of the information, and a key one, at that, is actually incorrect. Gaughran claims that you need to identify the categories in which to place your book, and email Amazon asking them to place them there, giving the exact chain you have identified. I spent AGES working all this out, looking at other books, etc. I emailed Amazon who told me that I had been misinformed, and referred me to the form you get when you first publish, to select your categories and sub-categories. Furthermore, the categories in which you see other books are not necessarily those you can request to be placed in, but those that arise because of hits on your book via search terms entered by book buyers. This explains why my book You Wish sometimes appears in the genre chart for 'Occult', although I have never put it in that category.

I also wish I had read Lee's 3 star review first. I have since noticed (by looking at the Amazon ratings) that Mr Gaughran's fiction publications actually sell less than my books do. It does rather confirm my theory that the people making money via these 'how to sell books' books are mostly the authors of said books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful and practical peek under the bonnet of Amazon, 20 May 2013
David Gaughran's previous book, Let's Get Digital, came out at a time when I was just starting my career as a self-published author. It reinforced my confidence that this was worth a try and gave me some great tips. Let's Get Visible is aimed at the flourishing community of indie authors now publishing their work online, all of whom are desperate for a way to make their books more visible to potential readers.

The style of this book is very straight-forward and easy to follow. It explains some fairly complicated systems in simple language, and it continually reminds you of what was covered in previous chapters. The focus is on Amazon's Kindle store (since that is where the majority of ebook sales take place), but there is also a section on other online retailers.

One of the most valuable aspects is the description of how Amazon's various charts work. Amazon is famously secretive about their algorithms, so although this book is based on observation and trial and error rather than insider knowledge, it offers a valuable insight. Another interesting topic is how to make best use of Amazon's book categories. There will be a lot of authors hurriedly tweaking their books' data after reading this!

This is definitely required reading for self-publishers, but it is not a bible to be revered or followed to the letter. Many of the suggestions are born out of personal opinion with no guarantees. David Gaughran himself makes it clear that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for authors, and a large part of success is luck. But he is certainly to be congratulated for letting some fresh air into the secretive world of Amazon and sharing some much-needed advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for authors and publishers, 7 Jun. 2013
Anyone who has published an eBook will understand the problem of visibility. You are going to have hundreds of thousands of competitors, and only a handful will come to the top of buyers' searches.

My rationale for buying this was simple; it appeared on my Amazon page while I was looking for something else. The simple fact that its author was able to put it there is a testament to his skill, and I bought it without hesitation.

Amazon is famously tight lipped about the algorithms that drive sales on its website, and there are many myths about their methods. This book clearly and simply explains how Amazon works, and how they decide whose work is promoted. Using data thrown up by a dedicated group of bloggers who have patiently tested the system with their own work, David Gaughran has distilled their findings into a simple methodology.

Reading it will help you avoid the mistakes that many self-published authors (this one included) have made. Without a good grasp of eBook visibility, you are going to struggle.

This book is concise, well-written, and avoids the unnecessary repetion and hyperbole which so often spoils `how to' guides.

It's essential reading for both self-published authors, and publishers. Easily the best book of its kind that I've come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 12 May 2013
Tim Stevens (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
David Gaughran's latest is destined to become a classic of its kind, just like its predecessor Let's Get Digital. Short, pithy and no-nonsense, this book packs a wealth of insight into the factors that help or hinder a book's visibility on Amazon in every page.

Finally, I understand the 'Zon's Popularity Lists (as opposed to Bestseller Lists), and why a precipitate drop-off in sales isn't evidence of some malevolent force at work in the depths of Jeff Bezos's company, but rather a fairly straightforward function of the quite comprehensible algorithms Amazon employs. Gaughran's great achievement is to render these concepts in terms that even a mathematical illiterate like me can understand. I implemented the author's advice about category changes as soon as I read it, and within 24 hours found one of my novels in the top three on its particular Popularity List. Sales have risen accordingly.

Every author publishing digitally needs this book. It's essential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 17 Sept. 2014
As I am new to self-publishing, publishing and marketing my father's African political/historical novels. I found David Gaughran's book very interesting and relatively helpful.

I am currently re-reading the book again to gain more of an understanding of some of the elements discussed. Probably the most informative aspect was understanding Amazon's categories better, but I must say I am still struggling a little myself to know which ones to select but I suspect this will come down to trial and error. In addition, I don't think there was enough information on how to market a book, which is what I am really struggling with. Reference was made to Bookbub and whilst it would seem that this is the best site to advertise with, very difficult to be accepted by them and it is a common complaint I have read on forums and blogs by other authors.

Let's get visible was pretty easy to read and it would be great if David Gaughran could write a book on how to market a book, or perhaps he has already done so and I haven't seen it yet?

I would say, if you are new to self-publishing, this is a book for you to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to understand Amazon algorithms, you need this, 26 Jun. 2013
From choosing your categories and keywords, to understanding why some books fly and others fail, Let's get Visible makes sense of the Amazon search engine and myriad lists to help authors improve their book's visibility. It won't help you write a good book, but once you have one, it will help you give it a fair shot at bestseller status.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book!, 20 Jun. 2013
Well written. Well structured. Well readable - unlike other books of a similar ilk. Explains things in plain English - even the algorithms. Definitely worth a punt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have reading for any self-publisher, 15 Jun. 2013
I bought this book after my book had reached 80,000 downloads on Amazon, which happened with a bit of luck and some vague stabs at judgement. Reading this, I recognised some of the things I'd tried, but instead of my haphazard 'give it a bash' approach, this book shows you how to approach publicising your novel in a methodical, straightforward manner. I loved it and I'm trying out some of the methods now - aiming for 100000 downloads, next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and helpful, 5 Jun. 2013
Elizabeth Perrat (France) - See all my reviews
Let's Get Visible gives excellent advice on how to sell your books in today's competitive marketplace. It decodes Amazon's confusing algorithms and explains the various Amazon categories and lists, and how to go about placing your book on these lists. It deals with pricing, free promotions, successful book launches and different forms of advertising.
A real gem to help authors to gain maximum visibility for their books. I can't rate it highly enough.