4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new
Whilst there are some good points in the book, it is nothing new if you have read The Kind Diet, The Lean, Skinny Bitch etc All of which encourage a vegan lifestyle as a long term commitment. There is a little too much time spent on calorie info and the Glycemic Index but some good info on processed food and why it should be avoided. Lots of recipes but all quite unusual.
Published 19 months ago by Koojoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Make veggies part of your life without becoming a food bore
Published 16 months ago by Alison F

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 12 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read and useful advice, 26 Sep 2013
I first heard the author of the radio being interviewed an was intrigued, so bought the book. Very interesting concept. It took me a while to wonder what the author's diet was like before he did his VB6 Intervention. Was he Supersizing and carb-mining? I think this is a significant omission form the book as not knowing the 'before' it is difficult to decide how good the VB6 is in achieving the 'after', so to speak. the VB6 principle is v interesting, though I still think what I call 'insulin modulating' diets make more sense (e.g. low GI/GL with intermittent fasting). Bittmans's approach is however deeply ethical in a world of food heading for trouble and it is worth incorporating some of his principles even if you don't go the whole hog! if you will pardon the meaty expression that is. I thing his recipes deserve especial mention however. They are great and they work. His stocks, soups and stews are excellent. In fact his fisherman's stew is on the menu tonight (I did the veggie stock last night).

3.0 out of 5 stars Make veggies part of your life without becoming a food bore, 16 Aug 2013
The author is clearly passionate about the eating regime he has developed, and there are some good principles for healthy eating and useful recipes. I do feel the first part of the book could have been written more concisely (less is more!). A few well written pages would really get the message across and leave more room for recipes. Particularly like the recipes where he gives alternative options - shows how anyone can introduce more plant food into their daily life without committing to full vegan lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting concept, 22 Aug 2013
I heard about this on R4 Food Programme & it sounded interesting & worth a shot. I have been an unenthusiastic meat eater nearly all my life & have had several forays into the vegetarian lifestyle but had always revertedto being a 'flexitarian'. I had never contemplated becoming a vegan as it all seemed too difficult & too dull but this seems a good option for me.

My total cholesterol is too high & I can't think that it's down to the amount of meat I eat but I do plead guilty to eating far too much dairy & vegetarianism seemed only likely to increase consumption - so, what to do? By becoming a part time vegan I have eliminated yogurt for breakfast, chunks of cheese for snacks, cream in soups, mayo on salads................ & all without having to eat horrible 'low fat' or 'fat free' products.

My VB6 is very flexible. Pizza Express for lunch yesterday with the grandchildren so I ate what I wanted & had a vegan soup in the evening, BBQ Sunday lunch, vegan at night but mostly I follow the rules & have no animal products before 6pm. Want a snack? Basically think nuts & not too many of them as not surprisingly white flour & sugar are also off limits as are 'mystery products' if you can't pronounce it & it has very little resemblence to any known food, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

I have made quite a few of the recipes & enjoyed them all in varying degrees, I am yet to love tofu but Mark Bittman is not shy with the salt & that perks things up a bit.

Importantly it's in Engish not American so no wondering what some of the ingredients might be

The weight loss is grindingly slow - 2lbs in 3 weeks but as I wasn't technically 'overweight' to start with perhaps that's to be expected. Anyway as the main reason for embarking on this was to improve my cholesterol I'm not overly bothered. It has reawakened my interest in vegetarianism & I have just bought 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' also by Mark Bittman

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health... For Good (Kindle Edition)
Because the author is American there were some ingredients I had never heard of before. I expect the recipes could be adapted. He obviously likes cooking so perhaps this wouldn't suit kitchen phobics. A nice idea trying to be vegan before 6pm but it is quite hard to do without cheese and eggs as lunchtime fare, although he does offer some interesting alternatives. Luckily he is in favour of being flexible. I think it would suit people who are wondering about being vegan/vegetarian, and who really like cooking. There was a good section on nutrition at the beginning of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 22 July 2013
A. Hanna (South London) - See all my reviews
This book is more of a philosophy than a diet book - I like the thinking behind it and I have followed the principles which is working well but I would have liked more recipes and meal plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars review of VB6, 24 Jun 2013
finally a diet I can stick to.I've always been good all day then not at night this book is for the likes of me

5.0 out of 5 stars a very interesting book, 28 Jun 2013
i would like to get everyone to read this book. it is well written and very interesting. some of the ingredients are American names, but don' let it put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars VB6 Vegan Before Six book, 10 Oct 2013
Very pleased with this book. As you may have noticed it is the second copy I have bought of it. This is because I am going to give it as a leaving present to one of the Carers who works here in the Care Village where I live, as I think she will enjoy it too.
Arrived in excellent condition. No problems anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's amazing, try it!, 9 Oct 2013
It just makes sense. The way Mark Bittman explains how the body digests and uses different foods makes every other diet illogical. It has completely changed the way I look at food as I now think about how my body is using and storing it. I love that this diet or 'lifestyle' isn't about calorie counting or starving yourself but basically about healthy eating and consuming non-processed foods. However, the main reason I love this book is that it makes you feel normal. Everyone has bad days (or sometimes weeks in my case) but it doesn't mean you've ruined your diet!

There is a reason why it is Number 1 New York Times Best Seller!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›