on 24 July 2013
The only real point of buying a copy of the game as opposed to downloading from Steam is to save £4 or if you want something for your `game shelf'. As I'm sad and own a copy of all the previous versions of Civilization I got my copy from Amazon. As previous reviews have stated, the installation process is tiresome but after a short(ish) wait I had the game up and running.
I've played about 6 games so far and feel that the expansion adds much to what is already a great game.

Building trade routes allows you to generate cash and encourages you to explore more territory in the early game. Trade routes can also spread religion and transfer science points between participating civilizations.

The culture victor has been changed and seems (I'm still working it out tbh) to involve having more `tourism' than all the other players. Players can create great works of art or conduct archaeological digs to retrieve items of interest and placing them in museums in order to build up tourism. Players can trade these artefacts though I have to admit I haven't felt the need so far.

The social policy perks that you earn have been updated to include ideologies. These have been stuck on in a rather messy fashion (imho) and some perks seem really weak compared to the few strong ones available (but cost the same amount of culture points).

Diplomacy has been refined and civilizations react more realistically to your actions. Previously they tended to go to war with you for no reason. Now, unless they're particularly militaristic, they are genuinely friendly to you if you are nice to them. Supporting someone's vote in the World Congress will be appreciated for example. This appeared like a very sensible update however it seems to have made the game easier. I tended to play on immortal level in Gods and Kings and won maybe one third of my attempts. Now I seem to be winning every time I play at this level.

There are other enhancements (unit, luxuries and buildings etc) that add to the epic feel of the game and the variety of tactics you can employ but I think I've mentioned the main updates above.
It's a pretty beefy expansion pack and if you like Civilization V you should appreciate and enjoy Brave New World.
on 29 July 2013
There are some excellent changes to the policy system, with new ideologies thrown into the mix.
Trade routes actually mean something now, with visible effects.
Culture has been expanded to include tourism, a nice addition, though by no means essential.
Best of all though is the world congress, which adds politics to the mix in a rather brilliant way. Suddenly alliances with city states are important, as this effects the delegates you have, thus how many votes you control. And some of the voting can be important, such as banning trade with a certain civ, or adopting a world ideology or religion.
World Congress adds such a clever layer of depth to how you act with the other civs that this alone would make it a worthwhile purchase, and the other tweaks and additions make it essential.
on 9 October 2013
I have played this game day after day, hour after hour and I love it. The music is fantastic it doesn't crash and it is totally absorbing. Downside, Steam and having to constantly connect, Shame
on 11 September 2013
If you're buying this game as a hard copy for the sole purpose of installing it without downloading it, DO NOT BOTHER!

For those who do not know, the default for all new Steam published games is for installation to occur via download. This is regardless of whether you have a disc or not. However, if you do happen to have a disc, there is no simple method of installing directly from said disc.

Now the reason I gave this 1 star is as follows: No matter which method of installing from the disc I tried, only 18% would install before it reverted to a 36 hour download. This is highly frustrating.

I do not have the time or bandwidth to install this game, let alone play it. I've been a huge supporter of the Civilization series since it's origin, but unfortunately current developers are making it unplayable.

Please note: I am not slating the game in any form. I have had no problems with any Civ game before this (all, up to and including Civ5 G&K), but this installation process has removed any hope of me playing the BNW add-on any time soon.
on 4 September 2013
Really good addition to Sid Meier's Civilization V so well worth the purchase. Really enjoyed it and I am sure you will to.
on 17 October 2013
It got here so quick! There are so many new feature to the game. It's like a hole new Game. To be honest. It's worth it and don't listen to the haters that compare to CIV 4.
on 21 August 2013
Best strategic game ever, improved and that is something always to be grateful. The new units, buildings, wonders, ideology and improvement in the victory in cultural and diplomatic conditions are just fantastic. May be the only thing is that sometimes you need to turn off the diplomatic winning option in order to complete the science victory (for those of us who like to keep the alliances with the city states always running), or just vote for another player!!
on 8 January 2014
This was purchased as Christmas present for one of my sons, I know he loves it as he sent me the link to buy it for him on his christmas list.
on 30 October 2013
got to compliment civilization 5. adds some new elements to the game, in my opinion for the better. overall am very pleased with it
on 21 August 2013
Finally Civ V becomes the game it should have been to start with. This is the icing on the cake to be sure but its quite a lot of icing! Ridiculous choice of things to do in the game now and its far more interesting late-game now compared to the bare-bones version. If youre a Civ fan or were a Civ fan, buy this - you wont regret it (well your social life might regret it!)

See one answered question