5.0 out of 5 stars Great love story and original plot
Published on 26 Jan 2009 by CJ

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting child abuse
The book starts with the hero brutally raping the heroine as a child.
Published 3 months ago by The Artful Dodger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great love story and original plot, 26 Jan 2009
CJ (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the love story of Gervase, Lord St Aubyn,and Diana Lindsay, supposedly a 'courtesan'. Diana is living with her six year old son in a very remote part of Yorkshire and whilst she lives peacefully she is restless. She saves the life of a mysterious stranger who fuels her desire for change and she moves to London. Here she meets Viscount St Aubyn and becomes his mistress. He is a very private and severe character and seeing their relationship develop in this story is really moving. They both have dark secrets in their pasts which you can sense but which are well hidden. St Aubyn finds himself drawn to Diana's warmth and unconditional love in spite of himself and whilst she loves him deeply she can sense that he is a very troubled character. His secret work for the government makes for an excellent subplot with a satisfactorily evil villain. This is a very moving and well written book about two very anguished people. I loved it. The distressing plot twist at the beginning which some reviewers complain about is quite a dark element of the story but IMO St Aubyn redeems himself and personally I don't have an issue with these types of storylines if they are written as well as this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting child abuse, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Dearly Beloved (Kindle Edition)
The book starts with the hero brutally raping the heroine as a child.
The child gets pregnant from the rape and almost dies in childbirth because of her underdeveloped body. Nine years later she goes to London, finds the child abuser again and they live happily ever after as man and wife. Sorry, but that is just wrong and disgusting. I would not recommend this book. The worst by far of the books I've read by Mary Jo Putney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Dearly Beloved (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and the storyline. It was so good I read it in one sitting. Will definitely go into my favourites and I will enjoy reading it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing as usual x, 14 May 2013
I was absolutely obsessed with finishing this book it was amazing! Mary Jo Putney never fails to keep me interested but this book took it to a whole other level. Things I have never seen her write about in such detail are in this book and even though the twist makes you rethink the whole book its just...perfect. Love it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading x

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a Bookworm!, 27 Mar 2013
Mrs. S. E. Cooper (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was a joy to read, an interesting concept, well thought through and took me longrt than usual to finish - this is not a complaint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
This book is the first I read by Mary Jo Putney when it came out in 1990, and has remained my favorite of all her books. It is perhaps the most erotic romance I have ever read. Not because it contains the crude raunch reminiscent of Virginia Henley or Bertrice Small on a bad day; it doesn't. What it contains is a complete sensuality that draws in all of your senses. It also contains some of the loveliest writing in romantic fiction. Here is my all-time favorite "love line" drawn from a romance novel:
"Without removing his eyes from hers, he continued, 'You are my salvation, and in your love I see the reflection of the loving God whom I never believed in.'"
When was the last time you ever found a hero in the mainstream romance genre (as opposed to romances specifically targeted for Christians) who found God, the source of all true love, reflected in the love of one of His creatures? This is why I forgave a particular plot twist that I especially disliked and found completely gratuitous. So it's not a perfect novel, but it is a cut above the rest.
After reading DEARLY BELOVED, try Mary Jo Putney's UNCOMMON VOWS. It is from a very different time period (DEARLY BELOVED is a Regency; UNCOMMON VOWS is a medieval), but like DEARLY BELOVED it shows characters who find God and it goes further and shows characters who take their religions seriously (in contrast to other novels that show religious characters to be fools).

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent romance, 12 May 1999
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book but not as much as many of Mary Jo Putney's other books. Pretty good characters but there were a couple of plot twists I didn't like.

Dearly Beloved