Format: Audio CD|Change

I have had this album for a year now and each playing brings new joys. This is an exceptional piano trio "par excellence"; three of the World's top musicians. A friend had seen the trio live in Spain and was very enthusiastic, so when I saw the album I made an instant purchase...a great investment.
Although the leader is the very strong bassist Christian McBride, who plays the bass both arco and pizzicato, the star is the young pianist Christian Sands. The drummer Ulysses Owens is no slouch either.

Christian Sands has been described to me as a hybrid of Art Tatum and Phineas Newborn, but he plays with more sensitivity than either (to my mind ...and I am quite a fan of PN). He must be one of the most gifted pianists to have graced the world of jazz.

This extremely well recorded album features nine lengthy tunes, the first of which is an original (improvised at the session?). There is one other original by CMcB. Otherwise tunes from the jazz canon (e.g. Cherokee, East Of The Sun, Hallelujah Time) plus some rather funky music and a couple of very sensitive ballads. (I am fed up with CDs of "originals" often of dubious merit).

A wonderful album. Purchase a copy and understand what the fuss is about!
on 28 January 2016
I bought this CD for 2 reasons. Firstly to hear a version of the beautiful Richard Rodgers tune from 'The King and I' - 'I Have Dreamed'. Secondly, being a pianist myself, to hear Christian Sands. I was somewhat apprehensive about 2 originals by Christian McBride. However, from first note to last, a more joyous, intelligent and creative trio would be hard to find. The playing by all-three musicians is simply thrilling. The arrangements are innovative, but accessible and never contrived. Christian McBride's bass playing is a revelation as are his original numbers.
on 20 May 2015
I want to add to the other reviews simply by saying that Ulysses Owens is one of the great drummers..I have seen him with this trio at Ronnie Scott's and also doing a masterclass for young Israeli drummers in Tel Aviv. He is totally in control of his instrument and plays with power and verve but also is able to bring the tone way down and set a mood.
Christian McBride is considered THE bassist so he would choose the best drummer-Brian Blade excepted-wouldn't he !!
Wonderful musicianship throughout.
on 2 August 2015
This jazz album is the most fun jazz album I have heard in ages it is just so jolly All the band members play so vividly there are some interesting drum solos some of which don't quite work which in a weird way make it more interesting to listen to and Slater's playing is just brilliantly subtle and timed too Christian mcbride is the God of Double bass playing in this day and ages and so needs no discription just brilliant an excellent interpretation of Favourite things I thought kind of summery
on 19 October 2014
Sheer genius at work. Seen live at Birdland in New York in a stunning performance and the CD lives up to all expectation. Very fine album and well worth the purchase. Buy it!
on 20 December 2013
Went to see the trio in a live concert, they are brilliant musicians. I've been a Christian McBride fan for some years but this album and this trio are fantastic.
on 31 August 2014
I love this album. Superb piano, and the rhythm section is out of this world. McBride's pizzicato double bass skills are awe inspiring.
on 26 October 2013
Heard a track on the radio and decided that it was a good choice for a friend's birthday present.
Going by the one track (I didn't get to hear the rest) that's the 4 stars
on 1 September 2013
Christian McBride is a legendary bass player, I know and appreciate that and have him playing with Diana Krall on CD which is just wonderful. However, it is rather avant garde for my listening although I appreciate how clever it is.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse