4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, let down by the printing
Halo Jones is one of those marmite 2000AD characters that some love, and others can't see what all the fuss was about. Personally I have been a fan of the character right back since her first appearance in the prog and I have bought all the reprints and collections over the years.

I was quite excited about a new trade paperback version, especially with the...
Published 13 months ago by E. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Hanging out with Halo Jones
First off, I should say that if I were just reviewing the quality of the story I'd be giving this five stars, as it's just brilliant.

However, the experience of reading this on my Kindle Fire is so very frustrating, and that's why it's dropped the marks.

Published 6 months ago by Ash

2.0 out of 5 stars Hanging out with Halo Jones, 21 Dec 2013
Ash (Reading, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)

The formatting is just shot to pieces. Double page splashes are cut in half. The panel zoom funcionality just doesn't work properly; it often only zooms in just a little bit, and in all cases the remainder of the page remains in the background, greyed out. If a panel is still too wide, tipping the Kindle to landscape is no help at all as the whole page rotates, and appears in a pillarboxed window, and the "zoomed" panel is even smaller than the unzoomed portrait image. And you can't do a pinch zoom on the full pages...

Whoever formatted this should take a look at the Kindle Comixology app; that gets the presentation of comics in a digital medium just perfect, and handles zooms, whole/double page spreads with style.

The formatting on this is just a complete mess. I'm glad I managed to pick this up when the price was greatly reduced in a sale; it's certainly not worth full whack, that's for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, let down by the printing, 28 May 2013
E. Clarke "eamonnclarke" (cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)

I was quite excited about a new trade paperback version, especially with the promise of an introduction by Lauren Beukes. The front cover image is unusual but fits in with 2000AD/Rebellion's repackaging to try and deliver Halo Jones to a new 21st century audience.

Inside it is a bit of a disappointment. The Beukes intro is about half a page of text telling us that she loves the stories, which is not too surprising. I confess I was expecting a longer, more in-depth article.

The Alan Moore writing is still a joy especially when his future "hoop-speak" calms down a bit. Unfortunately as the previous reviewer pointed out the shrinking of the artwork to fit this format does Ian Gibson's detailed images no favours. And this is coupled with some printing problems (possibly because the original film plates of the artwork are no longer available) which plague Book 3 in particular. Some of the pages are particularly bleached out with loss of lots of crucial detail.

Shame really as this could have been an exciting book to give to new readers. I still bought it but will turn back to the original Progs when I want to look at the art.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
The "Could be better" comment refers to the format, not to the artwork and story which is excellent. I'm just glad I have the original trade paperback because this Kindle version is disappointingly clunky and does not make for easy reading.

It does not allow the Kindle to use its zoom features so at times text is difficult to read, you have to click on panels to read some text and that is not always successful, eg the wrong panel gets picked up. There's no easy scrolling like with many comics/trade paperbacks.

It just seems like not a lot of effort has been made to adapt a great book into e-format - what a shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book but not for the Kindle, 31 Dec 2013
Amazon Customer (NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
If you don't know the Ballad of Halo Jones already then you are missing out. It is at least a 4 1/2 star book and you should get yourself a copy. However, this version does not work on the Kindle.

I knew the book well enough to give it a go but I am very disappointed with the experience. The kindle app on my android tablet is just not fit for purpose when it comes to graphic novels.
The only option is full screen reading; it is impossible to zoom in on particular panels. This means that generally it is very difficult to read and you miss out on some of the wonderful details and nuances that Moore and Gibson put in, the very things that make this such a classic.

I've mislaid my kindle device itself but have previously had the same problem with illustrations in text books so I don't expect it to be any better. I thought I would be able to enjoy it on my PC monitor but when I try, I get the message that this is "not compatible with this device"

To recap: do yourself a favour and buy the book; don't try the kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo needs to escape the Hoop......, 28 Dec 2013
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
There are some things that you read or watch as a teenager that never leave you and may even help to shape you as a person....This comic is, for me, one of those things....I read it week by week in 2000 AD and loved it.....Halo Jones is a great role model and adventurer..... she needs to keep moving as she leaves the world of the Hoop.....not an easy thing to do....This is her ballad....the ballad of her life and adventure......I would recommend this to anyone.....Its a great tale of a working class hero who follows her dreams.....things don't always go well for Halo but she keeps moving....picking herself up and dusting herself off.....she will teach you that life is hard....but it is also an adventure to be tasted and explored.....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...... and the Kindle version works well enough on the iPad.....so I won't have to wear out my print copy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars unfinished, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
What we have leaves you wanting more - the story of what she did when she went out. Just out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic - everyone should own this, 16 May 2014
Alan Moore's seminal Sci Fi heroine, Halo Jones - a rich and detailed study of the space opera / adventure form. Required reading for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moore's best, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
I have read watchmen, Loeg, swamp thing, supreme, etc. But I think this is my favourite work by moore. Just a really good story that takes place in a big setting but had a very tight focus on the lead and how she grows, ages, and are changes by the experiences she encounters. I would highly recommend this, shame he has copped a strip and won't continue the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars The size and print are fine, 24 Jan 2014
Jb Connett - See all my reviews
I bought this copy as a result of really enjoying it in my teens. I haven't finished it yet, but the main reason for this review is that I was almost put off buying it by some reviewers. The size and print quality are fine, and bigger than the complete Judge Dredd books I've been reading, but easier to read. The cover is a strange choice, but that doesn't detract from anything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Illegible, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore) (Kindle Edition)
The Kindle version of this book is illegible. The text is difficult to make out and the zoom facilities on the kindle for android app are not sufficient to make this readable. It's just not practical to read in this form.