Format: DVD|Change

on 21 March 2014
An unexpected gem that I missed when it was originally transmitted. Good performances from the leads, but incredible writing from Jed Mercurio. It's extremely hard to put in plot twists and turns and still keep a story credible, but Mercurio makes it look easy.

Nothing is black and white, as they often are in corruption/conspiracy dramas and I love how he's made the protagonist in this, too good to be true copper Tony Gates, ambiguous - is he a bent cop or not, he's certainly willing to bend the law for friends, but is it circumstance that forces him down the road we see?

If you like intelligent drama, this delivers and BBC2 deserve all the accolades the series received for commissioning it.
on 20 March 2014
I started watching the second series and couldn't wait to also watch the first series as i missed it on BBC2 when it first aired. It literally had me not wanting to switch off, ended up watching the whole series in one day all episodes back to back. All I can say is superb British writing and acting, roll on the third series quickly please, I don't know what I'm going to do on a Wednesday night. Not very often will I love a whole series, normally there are a couple of episodes a tad boring but certainly not this!! Edge of your seat stuff, don't miss it!
on 9 June 2013
This is what The Shadow Line should have been. A brilliantly terse and tense conspiracy drama with twists that make sense and good performances. Ironically, unlike Good Cop which ended on a cliffhanger and irritatingly didn't get recommissioned, Line of Duty ends in such a way that it honestly doesn't really need or warrant a second series, yet is getting one. I'm not sure how they'll top the first series but I have faith they'll give it a good go. Neil Morrissey seems to revel in playing a nasty little man for once instead of his usual matey/geezer roles. All the performances from the main cast are strong and it's nice to see a major drama set in Birmingham, which much like Liverpool in Good Cop is portrayed as a good place with flaws as opposed to what might have been sensationalised as a hell hole by a lesser writer.

The only big criticism I have is the over-abundance of references to police procedure, mostly paperwork and unnecessary red tape. It's too obvious, not quite as prescriptive as Natural Born Killers which has to be the benchmark in anti-subtle ideology, but it's just a bit repetitive and isn't needed. It could have worked if it was actually the focus of the drama, but it isn't. Luckily though, the show isn't cluttered like Blackout or unfocused like Good Cop, so I'll take a slightly out-of-place thread in exchange for an otherwise tight narrative.

Highest recommendation possible for this.
This intelligent, complex and gripping television series plunges us into the murky world of police corruption through the work of AC-12, an internal department despised by fellow officers but tasked to investigate wrongdoing within the Central England force. Recently recruited into this anti-corruption unit is Martin Compson’s DS Steve Arnott, whose moral stand after the death of an innocent man during a counter-terrorism raid by refusing to comply with a cover-up brings him to the attention to its chief, Adrian Dunbar’s Superintendent Ted Hastings. He is immediately blooded by being assigned to investigate the suspiciously high clearance rate of a respected DCI, however falsifying records is but a part of the picture as thorough enquiries reveal a connection with a criminal world of drugs, money laundering and murder. There are some truly disturbing scenes (in particularly those involving a sweary kid on a bike) and the plot twists are unexpected and often gruesome, while the formal interviews are suitably tense ‘cat and mouse’ occasions. Great support is provided by Craig Parkinson, Neil Morrissey, Gina McKee and especially Paul Higgins – whose character marvellously depicts a target driven senior bureaucrat concerned primarily with public image. Without doubt this is top notch acting and writing and having missed this series when it was first televised I bought a DVD and watched all five episodes in a day. I am now looking forward to watching the second series.
I completely missed the first series of this excellent police drama until I watched the second series on television and was sufficiently impressed that I immediately purchased both sets of DVDs.

Well acted, believable, plenty of action and drama. One of the better 'sharp end' police drama on television.

I look forward to the next series coming out. I shall just buy the discs as it is so much better to watch the whole series in a single hit.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 September 2013
This five part BBC drama screened on BBC2 in 2012 and became one of the most successful dramas on BBC2 of the year.
This two disc set features all five episodes of the drama along with a half-hour Behind the Scenes extra featuring the whole cast.
If you enjoy a good quality thriller set in the modern world, Line of Duty will not let you down.
Don't wait for it to be released on amazon in 2014, go straight to [...] where it is available now with free postage.
Enjoy!
on 3 July 2014
Remember the 1990's BBC series "Between the Lines" starring Neil Pearson as Detective Superintendent Tony Clark seconded to CIB?
Well this is an updated and grittier version of the police investigating internal corruption. A refreshing change to the normal run of the mill police series, with a first rate script, excellent acting and "edge of the seat action". For me the makings of a good series is, "Do I want (or care) if I see the next episode?" With this, I'm pleased I bought the DVD as I couldn't wait a week to see what happened next.
on 6 May 2016
Brilliant drama. It doesnt spare its punches. Shot around Birmingham, it is one of the best police dramas I have ever seen. It doesnt pander to those wanting a happy ending with all the loose ends tied up. I watched all episodes in two days I was so intrigued.
Not for those wanting a nice cuddly police story.
This is violent in parts with swearing. The acting is brilliant, every character is strong and believable. If you know Birmingham then you will recognise some of the locations.
I never watched the series as I just thought it was another cop drama - a friend said how good it was. Not wanting to watch series 3, I thought I would start with the first series. Wow!

Totally worth watching.
on 22 May 2015
Excellent - a well written, twisty-turny plot about police corruption being investigated from within the force. Violent at times, but necessarily so and cleverly done. Gripping is the word. I had to watch all of this in one sitting once it got started. Nothing and no-one is quite what they seem to be, and it's all beautifully plausible yet surprising. Great performances too, though I thought that, as a lead performer, Martin Compston as Arnott looked a bit out of his depth at times, more at home working in a shoe shop than a cop shop. Now to watch series 2...
on 22 May 2016
Having not been able to finish watching Series 1 of "Luther" (weak plotting, thin characterisations and cardboard dialogue) despite the many attractions of Idris Elba, I approached this with caution but half an hour in to the first episode, I was hooked. Densely plotted, superbly acted and with crackling dialogue, this is a wonderful roller-coaster ride of a series which will have you on the edge of your seat and hardly daring to breathe because of the suspense. Brilliant, just brilliant.