5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed appraisal - Where are the others?!
The Xonar U7 is a great bit of hardware especially for laptop users.
Published 13 months ago by AdamM

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product Poor drivers
Nice little product first thing.

However with me running windows 8.1 64 Bit, im stuck. The auto run dies not boot and when i find and run the program it hangs and i have to quit the program via task manager.

Published 8 months ago by Mark Filby

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed appraisal - Where are the others?!, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar U7 Compact 7.1 Channel USB Soundcard Integrated Headphone Amplifier (Accessory)
The Xonar U7 is a great bit of hardware especially for laptop users.
I decided to go for this card as the specifications looked great on the Asus website and fits my needs perfectly. I own the Aego M 2.1 speakers and a Sony Vaio F series Laptop. With a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the laptop at all times, it has become a desktop replacement. The U7 sits within hands reach for volume control and is a perfect addition to the desk. It has given a great boost in audio over the onboard laptop hardware, and is solidly built. I plan to buy a higher end set of headphones/headset in the near future, which the U7 will be able to accomodate. (EDIT: Bought the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset to accompany this - incredible jump in sound quality over plugging the headset straight into the laptop).

Things to know before purchase:

-This card is best suited (provides the most value) to a user who requires both speaker and headphone use - although not at the same time of course. There are other external usb soundcards that can serve the purpose of just headphone or speaker use.

-The headphone amplifier ranges from 32-150dB. This snippet of info was actually quite hard to find for me before purchase but shouldn't affect many users except for those with higher impendance headphones - the sort that would require a higher quality amplifier to get the most out of them anyway.

-If you are looking around the net or elsewhere on how to improve the sound quality of your music and have stumbled across soundcards and other hardware, before you jump straight to checkout try reviewing your music library first. The quality of the music being played can have a big impact on what you hear. Having your tracks in high quality MP3 (320kbps) or even better, FLAC/ALAC/WAV etc. may bring you the increase in quality you desire, without even touching your wallet. (instructions to improve your music library are easily found using a popular search engine on the net).

-Last but not least, as a GENERAL rule of thumb, if your speakers/headphones cost less than the soundcard, then it would be more worthwhile upgrading them, than the soundcard.

I probably have missed something of which I will add later. Just wanted to provide a quick customer review of this great product as there are no others out there yet!

PROS:

- Great increase in sound quality on my Aego M speakers over both my laptop onboard sound, and the X-Fi XtremeMusic card in my desktop.
- Master volume control very useful and accessible.
-Various outputs from the Xonar U7 and just a click of the button to switch between them.
-USB, easy plug and play and the Asus website makes it easy to update software.

The Xonar U7 is competitively priced and has a great range of useful functions and in the first few weeks of use I cannot find any cons for its price.

Any questions, just comment on this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product Poor drivers, 27 Dec 2013
Mark Filby (Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Nice little product first thing.

The only whay i have been able to get it to work even a little is to download a simple driver from ASUS and run the update via device manager.

Im a left with a semi working product that yes i do get sound from but non of the Xonar features or any of the Dolby V4 stuff of the disc as it simply wont run

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus U7 USB Sound Card., 17 Aug 2013
OK is it better then the U3 yes by miles.

Drivers work well on Windows 8 64Bit no problems at all.

Headphone AMP? paired with Shure 1440 fine though could be louder overall.

Not tried the above AMP for gaming so Can't say to much.

Music and Games come to life to the point that this is the best Sound Card I've ever used from Creative products and other Asus Cards.

It also has Asio unlike the U3 at 16/24 Bit 4/50 ms Latency.

If your thinking of this or a U3 spend the extra cash and get this myself having got both.

Great Product if I must say so.

5.0 out of 5 stars My ears just imploded with joy, 17 Jan 2014
I have never found myself compelled to write a product review before but I just bought this little box of wonders to replace my awful on board laptop sound effects. I do not pretend to be a sound quality expert but I certainly know enough to appreciate that sound is something that should be invested in...

THIS THING JUST BLEW MY MIND. I can't put in to words how many more layers of complexity I can hear in my music. It feels like I'm actually stood in a room in front of the artist.

Simple to set up. Worked instantly.

Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for transferring vinyl to high-res digital but slightly lacking in playback., 15 Aug 2014
R. Cowlin (London, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this soundcard because I wanted to take advantage of it's analogue-to-digital converter and record my vinyl records to digital. This is one of the few soundcards on the market that can handle 24 bit / 192 kHz recording under £100. I already own a Creative X-Fi HD soundcard, which can record 24/96, but I wasn't satisfied with it's usability (driver issues) and found its recording quality a little hard or edgy. The U7 had some good reviews and Asus are generally known for their quality soundcards, so I pulled the trigger.

I am very pleased with the recording performance of the U7.

Here's what I like about the U7:

The software and drivers run flawlessly. Every time I connect the soundcard it's recognised instantly (Windows 7, 32 bit) and it's really easy to set the rec/play sample rate in the Asus software.
You can set the line level rec gain to whatever you want using Asus' software. I have it set to -6 dB, which I've read is a good level for needledrops. I've compared some new 'drops with older ones of the same title, and I'm getting more dynamic range with the U7 than I was previously with the Creative.
There's no noise or hum or anything annoying going on in the background.
The recordings sound very clean and transparent. I record at 24 bit / 192 kHz and there's a lot of airiness to the sound.

So far, there's nothing I don't like about the U7 and it's giving me the best results I've ever had for needledrops. It retails at around £60, so it's cheaper than the X-Fi. I believe it's recording quality and ease of use is better than the X-Fi.

HOWEVER. I conducted a playback shoot-out between the Asus Xonar U7, the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB External Sound Card with SBX, and a professional Technics CD player. The Creative beats the Asus hands down at playback. Neither are as good as the CD player (though, the Creative comes *very* close), but it was clear that the Asus struggled in the playback arena against the Creative. The Asus is set up for surround sound though, a plus over the Creative.
In terms of playback performance, when compared to the Creative, the Asus was thinner sounding and was much quieter (ie, the Creative has more headroom and can go louder). The sound on the Creative is much wider and exhibits better layering of instruments.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 22 Dec 2013
The sound from this is superb I have some sennheiser head phones plugged into this puppy music comes alive I play a lot of games and I am hearing sounds that I never heard before. And the size of this thing it's so small if you have some quality headphones or even speakers you wont be disappointed I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch usb sound card, 30 Aug 2013
Buy one today excellent sound quality loads of features but make sure you have half decent speakers and/or headphones to get the most out of the card.

Build quality is very good its not at large as the photo makes it look its quite compact and nice touches with the switch button/volume dial on the top and lights and also plenty of input/outputs.

I've bought many Asus products over the years and this proves to be another excellent product at a good price for what you get.

It's worth every penny!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a nice product., 19 Aug 2014
I bought it because I had a nice 5.1 speaker set and( got a 7.1 later on) and my laptop only supports stereo/2.1.

It's a pretty nice sound-card with all things considered. It gives clear sound and a decent amount of tuning however you should keep in mind it is made for PCs (no console support) and it has a... pretty weird plug layout. To use a 7.1/5.1 you have to use 2RCA and 2 auxiliary input ports rather than standard 3 or 4 Auxiliary ports you see on desktop PCs.

In other words, if you have standard 5.1 or 7.1 pc speakers you will probably need a phono to twin RCA cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a dream., 24 Jun 2014
N. G. Varras "nvarras7" (Gytheio, Greece) - See all my reviews
Makes music on my laptop enjoyable with my headphones, the amp could be a little more powerful, but it suffices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but the sound quality is just so so, 19 Jun 2014
I was looking for a usb sound card which will work both in windows and mac osx, the most important part is the volume control. I previously owned a creative sound blaster x-fi surround pro, that one is ok for win but in mac os x, the volume is not controllable.
I've looked into the decoding chip for U7 - CS4398 which is a top class dac, I'm so disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as creative sound blaster - CS4361. I feel bizarre when listening to the music. Maybe I'm not used to this kind of sound. My headphones is K551.

The knob is really good, you can adjust the volume with it in Win or OSX probably Linux. When you press it, it will switch between headphones and your speakers, it's really convenient.

5 stars.