5.0 out of 5 stars A very bold & new twist on Valkyries in 21st Century
Create and collect all you know about Valkyries into your mind, got it? Now chuck it all out of the window. Ednah Walters has truly developed and indeed adapted their role and powers to fit into a rather engaging teenage romance with a good dash of runic magic, mystery and a bit of mayhem drama thrown in.

I don't usually read YA supernatural romances and I...
Published 9 months ago by valkyrie1008

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre
Published 22 months ago by Danielle @ What Danielle Did Next

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 27 Jun. 2013
Runes was a quick, fun, easy read. I found the use of Norse mythology really interesting and unique. I hadn't come across it in a YA book before and it was fun to see how it was weaved into the storyline. I did find it difficult to get into the story, until the Norse theme was revealed I was a bit confused as to what was going on. Once the storyline became clear I really enjoyed how things unfolded.

My favourite character was Cora, she seemed the most real and down to earth person in the book and had a great snarky attitude that I loved. The main character of Raine interested me at first but as the story went along she did irritate me as she went from being a normal teen who was pretty unremarkable to suddenly always being desired and described as ethereally beautiful and otherwordly.

There is a love triangle which I didn't really enjoy due to Raine's indecision and lack of respect for her boyfriend's feeling but I enjoyed her relationships with both boys on their own.

There is a lot of mystery to figure out and I enjoyed how the book unfolded however I didn't understand how Raine's father could disappear in a major plane crash and nobody in town would know about it.

The book ends on a cliff hanger which will make readers be squealing to get their hands on the next book to see what happens next. I'd recommend this book to readers who enjoy paranormal romance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Runes, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
17 year old Raine has a lot on her mind, with her father missing, presumed dead after a plane crash, and her romantic feelings for her best friend Eirik. But then a good looking boy, Torin, moves in next door, and she is drawn to him even though she can tell there is something different about him. After he saves her life from another supernatural person she gets curious about Torin. But with members of the swim team dying is she able to trust him?

Runes is an OK book but it reminded too much of Twilight. Also there is no explanation about what supernatural creatures they were until near the end of the book, and during the rest of the book not much happens.

I did not like Raine as she strung Eirik along even though she knew she was developing feelings for Torin, also she accepted magic way too easily and looked down on people. I am getting bored of the bad boy types with hearts of gold so I did not connect to Torin and whilst I like good guys I just found Eirik dull.

I had hoped that Runes would be a good book but I just could not get into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very bold & new twist on Valkyries in 21st Century, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I don't usually read YA supernatural romances and I quite honestly didn't see the HUGE punch coming in at the end as the blurb and indeed the title don't indicate how much norse mythology you are going to get out of this story. And I am pleased to say I wasn't disappointed.

If you are fans of A.K Morgen's Ragnarok Prophesies featuring Dace/Ari/Freki/Geri or Amailia Dillin's Fate series featuring Thor/Eve then you will enjoy the Runes trilogy - yes there is more and I immediately downloaded not just Book 2 but also Book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a series, I can't wait to read more :), 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 unicorns - I loved it!!
***Received ebook through Netgalley for an honest review

The cover is absolutely break taking and perfect, and I have eyed this series for a while. And when I saw it on Netgalley, I jumped at the chance to read it. I try to only select books that interest and intrigue me because there are tons of books out there, so why force yourself to read something that doesn't interest you. :)

Okay when I started reading this book, I liked it but thought okay this is a typical teen drama galore. This book totally snuck up on me and sucked me in where I couldn't put it down. I loved it so much I went and bought book 2 & 2.5 because I have to know what happens next. And I will probably buy book 3 too ;)

Raine is an awesome girl full of spirit who doesn't take anything from anyone, and you know this is my favorite type. I love my heroine is a warrior ;) So I totally fell in love with Raine, Cora, Eirik, and Torin. Raine's mom is a great character too, but she wasn't a main character.

Torin is this arrogant and sexy man who challenges all of Raine's beliefs and values and totally twists her up inside. Eirik and Cora are her best friends and stick with her through everything. This book has everything to keep your attention with magic, attacks, runes, a missing father, jealousy, and lots of action and drama.

I hoping that I can add this series to my classroom library when I can afford the print books :) I think the kids will love them :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, absolutely breathtaking!, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Wow, Runes was so much better than i expected. I went straight out and bought (and proceed to read) the second book after reading this so apologies if my thoughts seem a bit jumbled at times.

Everything that Raine believed was real and ordinary in her life changes the moment that Torin St. James moves next door. His distracting and frustrating nature leads Raine to hit her neighbours custom made mailbox and she's already late for school. However he offers to help her and when she comes home the mailbox seems exactly the same as before, how could he have bought and replaced the box in one day? Other things that start happening make Raine question if there is something strange going on with the sexy neighbour with the blinding blue eyes. However she has bigger issues to deal with, her team needs her to focus on swimming for the upcoming meets and her best friends Cora and Eirik still don't seem to be able to get along. When a group of foreign exchange students arrive that seem to know Torin strange things start happening and people start dying, Raine seems to be the only one that notices something strange about them. Will she be able to stop whatever's coming?
I really loved Raine as a main character, she's very aloof as to what's going on at first and more focused on trying to make Eirik her boyfriend, however for the second half of the book she's pretty awesome and i really like the way that she deals with the impossible situations she's put into.

I have to admit i wasn't as keen on Cora for the first part of the book, she seems to just use Raine for her computer and not be as good a friend as she could be. However this is soon cleared up and you realise that her and Raine are great friends and that you were mistaken at the beginning.

Eirik is also kind of interesting, however he is definitely overshadowed by the lovely Torin. He and Raine definitely seem better off as best friends then a couple.

Torin is one of my new favourite characters in a series, he just seems awesome and tries to keep Raine away from the trouble that she doesn't understand. And when it's too late he tries to let her know of what may be coming in the only way that he can.

I really enjoyed the use of Norse mythology in this series, i haven't really seen many books with this involved and it definitely made it stand out and the story became much more interesting after certain facts were revealed.

Runes is really well written and once you get stuck into the book it is nearly impossible to pull away from, i read the first two books back to back because i needed to know what happened after the cliffhanger of an ending of Runes. I would highly recommend this book to any fan of mythology within books and just anyone that likes a slightly different read to the current stream of the same books we have going on at the moment.

I received this book free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this book!!, 6 Jun. 2013
**Provided by Netgalley and Firetrail Publishing for an honest review**

I really really loved this book... and the covers soooo pretty too.

There were so many twists and turns in this book that I never got bored or lost interest in reading the story. Even the ending left me wanting more and i'm gutted that I have to wait for the next book to come out...

The story was told brilliantly with magic, Norsk Gods and runes entwined to make the book constantly interesting with a little learning thrown it for an extra little kick.

I will be waiting eagerly for the next book in the series to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runes - Norse Mythology with a twist.... and I loved it :), 11 April 2015
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If you like the idea of Norse Mythology with a definite twist, then Runes just might be the book for you.

In this first book of Ednah Walters' series, we are introduced to Raine Cooper - a seemingly typical teenager juggling schoolwork, Swim Team, spending time with her best friend Cora, and attempting to define the growing feelings she has for her childhood friend Eirik, while dealing with the disappearance of her father and her mother's increasingly over-protective and eccentric behaviour. Just as she feels she is getting a handle on things, the appearance of her enigmatic new neighbour Torin St James throws her world off-kilter.

Raine's first opinions of Torin as handsome, brooding and arrogant - traits that "lose him hotness points" - are not enough to stop her from being drawn to him and wanting to find out more about him. The more she discovers, the more she realises that Torin and his "associates" Andris, Ingrid and Maliina are different from any other teenagers she has met. Torin has a mysterious agenda that places Raine in an impossible position, and her friends in mortal peril.

Following a particularly vicious attack, Torin saves Raine's life by marking her with strange symbols, breaking all the rules by doing so and creating a bond between them that results in Raine beginning to question her feelings for Eirik, and the realisation that supernatural happenings are not just the stuff fairy tales are made of, and mythological beings are very very real.

Ednah Walters' imagination is immense. Her characters are well rounded and defined, each having many facets to them so that they are never quite what they seem. The plot is engaging and very well researched which served to enhance my reading pleasure as the twists and turns in the story drew me in further so that I could not put it down and by the end, I was shouting "Noooooooooo!!!" and logging onto Amazon to buy the other books in the series.

This was a cracker of a read and suitable for any YA/NA reader. Don't miss this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runes is a recommended read from me for all paranormal lovers it will not disappoint., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run.

Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about Torin. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only are she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life..

*****UPDATE 01/03/2015*****

Re read for a review/refresh and fun!

Since I last read this book nothing has changed, its still the nail biting hold onto your seat while screaming why kind of book! Every page was like reading it for the first time all over again. The only thing I would change (If I could) is the rating (this book clearly deserves a more higher rating than 5 stars!)

I'm sat here trying to think of a way to explain why I loved this book ... Its harder than it sounds lol. I loved everything. Ednah Walters writing style is flawless combine that with a fast paced storyline, and a sexy mysterious guy next door you have a book that you will not want to put down..

WARNING ***
There is a cliff hanger.. I had to re read the last few lines over to make sure I read it right.. With an ending like that how can I not want to read more? Yup safe to say Runes left me begging for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 3 Jan. 2014
C. G. Ferguson (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It has been a while since I've found a book that I couldn't put down. I am going to start the next one NOW . I found the idea of Vikings and valkyrie different and really interesting. My only downside is that there isn't one . Terrific book but will need to read the next one straight away .

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down!, 9 April 2015
This review is from: Runes (Runes series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Runes is a great opener to this series. We are introduced to 17 year old Raine and the mysterious, but sexy Torin, who break all the rules for love and as a consequence things are not straightforward as Raine discovers more about her new world and her place in it.

This is a YA book but is well written and I found myself caring about all the characters, with the supporting characters being just as interesting as Raine and Torin. Using Norse mythology is a refreshing change, especially if you are fed up of all the vampire based novels out there, so much so that I want to find out more about Norse pantheon.

I thought the ending was going to be predictable, but I was so wrong.....heartbreaking. Cannot wait to start Immortals (book 2) to see what is in store for Raine and Torin - I would give more than 5* if I could! Highly recommended!

Runes (Runes series Book 1)