5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant book about the ups and downs of friendship
Books of this sort should come with a label attached to the cover, "WARNING - major weepy, have a box of tissues handy". Since reading Barbara Delinsky's The Three Wishes, a few years ago and weeping buckets for the rest of the morning (it's a lovely book by the way), I've studiously tried to avoid weepy's. However Firefly Lane took me by surprise.

Basically,...
Published on 15 Mar 2008 by LEP

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant book about the ups and downs of friendship, 15 Mar 2008
LEP "LEP" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Hardcover)

Basically, its the story of two very different girls with very different family backgrounds, who meet when they are 14 and form a lasting friendship which spans thirty years (it's rather like the film "Beaches"). Tully has been brought up by her grandmother. Her mother is a hippy, freethinking and pot-smoking. She dumped Tully on Tully's grandmother when her daughter was two and then reappears every few years demanding her child back, before dumping her yet again. Tully and her mother spend the longest time together in the house in Firefly Lane. Over the road lives Kate who comes from a very stable loving conventional family background. A somewhat studious child who loves reading and so is labelled a nerd and ignored at school. Tully, on the other hand is dramatic, wild, vivacious and an instant hit with the school's 'in-crowd'. On the surface the two girls are not the types destined to be friends. However, at a crisis point in Tully's young life Kate helps her and Tully vows to be her friend forever. In turn Tully gives the conventional Kate a makeover, which makes her more popular at school.

Like the majority of relationships, be they friendship or marriage etc., one of the partners is a giver and the other a taker. Kate is a nurturer; not the weaker of the friends, she is strong in her own way, but to start with she is swept along by Tully's dreams and wishes. Tully on the other hand, probably largely due to her mother and her mother's lack of love and attention, is narcissistic and largely selfish. She relies on Kate and Kate's sensible mother, for the acceptance, love and stability that she has never received off her own mother. If she and Kate ever argue and fall out it is always Kate who is expected to apologise even when it's not her fault in the first place.

Even from school Tully is ambitious to be a famous broadcaster and thinks that Kate can be her journalist partner, a famous team together. Kate goes along with Tully's dream for years even though it is not what she wants. Kate really wants love and marriage, just like her parents.

Yet as the years go by it seems that Kate is forever in the shadow of the passionate, unconvential Tully. Even the man Kate has loved for years is in love with Tully. Eventually, Kate summons up the courage to tell the career driven Tully, that journalism is not what she wants.

The book follows the two as they go their separate ways and yet stay friends, until Tully does the unforgiveable, and hurts Kate deeply and publically and then expects Kate to apologise.

It's a great story, an epic read. Just keep the tissue box handy towards the end. (I read the book by the way, the other reviewer seems to have listened to the taped version).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 8 Aug 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story - right from when I read about two young girls crying along to the lyrics of Billy Don't Be A Hero, I knew I was in for a treat. It is the story of Tully and Kate who, despite their different backgrounds, make friends as young girls in 1974 and spans a period of 30 years.

As they grow older they are part of the first generation of women who really believe they can have it all - family, love and a career. Although their lives follow different paths, it is clear that although neither of them does have it all; their friendship is one that lasts through thick and thin.

It is a very gently told saga with two very good main characters and with an ending that is very emotional. If you enjoyed Beaches then I think you would probably enjoy this story as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
Wonderful book and very personal to me. After reading it I felt love,hope,sadness,happiness and a feeling of calm. I loved the music references in the book as these evoked my own memories. I couldn't put this book down as this was the first time I had read a Kirsten Hannah book I know have to buy her other books. Please read this book and wallow in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 9 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (An American in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
I really liked this book. It was a story of a life long friendship between two women who meet as children and follows their lives until middle age. It's a long book. Part of me thought it may have been a bit too long than it needed to be, but the other part of me wonders if not for the length of the book, would the ending have such an impact? I'm undecided. That aside, it was a touching story (that made me write an emotional email to my best friend of 20+ years when I was done). It reminded me of the movie 'Beaches' in some respects, but had no impact on how enjoyable the book was. If you do read it, keep the tissues handy at the end - you'll need them!

4.0 out of 5 stars A STORY OF FRIENDSHIP BEAUTIFULLY READ, 6 Mar 2008
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Firefly Lane (MP3 CD)
Remember what childhood friendships can be like? Quite often, we become best friends with someone and probably swear to each other that this friendship will last forever. Such is the case in Kristin Hannah's touching story Firefly Lane. We hear, "Best friends forever. They'd believed it would last, that vow, that someday they'd be old women, sitting in their rocking chairs on a creaking deck, talking about the times of their lives, and laughing. "

Even the best intentioned promises can sometimes go awry as we learn in this 30 year history of friendship between Kate and Tully. It began in 1974 when Kate Mularkey was feeling especially isolated and coming to terms with the fact that she wasn't popular or pretty. In fact, she might best be described as ordinary.

Then, miracle of miracles a new family moved in across the street and in that family was Tully Hart , the coolest, best looking girl Kate had ever seen. Further, Tully wanted to be her friend, not just an acquaintance but best friends. They were opposites in many ways, but that didn't matter they swore their friendship would never end.

Tully had aspirations and in the years to come she would do whatever it took to become successful, to be acknowledged by all as the best. She does reach the top as a broadcast journalist. Kate, on the other hand, has no such dreams. She simply wants to be a wife and mother, which she does with her husband Johnny and daughter Marah.

Years pass, 30 of them, when suddenly a friendship that was to last forever seems irreparably broken.

Stage and television actress Susan Ericksen delivers an estimable reading, tracing this story of two women and their friendship, its ups and downs, its strength and resiliency.

- Gail Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Firefly Lane" by Kristin Hannah, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
Mostly boring and pointless. The cover teaser ("...a lifetime of friendship, a moment of betrayal...") is so misleading; not much really happens.

The early stage of the book really put me off as it felt like a middle-grade / teenage read - not quite to the taste of my 37-year-old mind! Even when the protagonists became adults, ending the novel a few years above my own age, the story did not seem to have any point.

I could not help but feel moved by the ending, however. Even though hardly anything of any true significance happens in the story, the situation in which the protagonists end up (which I am loathe to give away, naturally) had to sadden me, not least because of the detail and sensitivity with which it is depicted.

Anyway, that'll teach me to buy a book just because it sounds ok and only costs 1.95...

5.0 out of 5 stars Firefly Lane by Hannah Kristin, 18 Feb 2010
Mrs. Pamela Daniells (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it well researched
The relationship between the two women, best friends from shool days, and the relationship between Kate and Tully , spanning many years from their childhood,
Katie's marriage and family, and Tully's great media success, is very thoughtfully handled. I was sorry to come to the end of the story and would have liked it to have continued. Kristin Hannah is brilliant at describing family relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Compelling Story, 19 May 2009
Mrs. T. Mcdermott "Teresa" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Hardcover)
This story reminds us what is most important - family, friends and having love in your life. The characters are rich and meaningful. The relationships are well described and extremely interesting. I loved Kate and adored Tully.

Have your box of tissues ready though! It is moving and helped me want to contact old friends and strengthen the friendships I have. I'm definitely ready to read more from Kristin Hannah.

Will have you hooked from page one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I usually avoid American books, preferring to read books set in the UK. I ordered this by mistake...but read it anyway, and I'm so glad I did. It was a fairly easy read, but I did get drawn into the story of the two main characters very quickly, and found it quite compelling. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars touched, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Firefly Lane (Kindle Edition)
I read the book in three days. And never ever have I cried so much when reading a book. Thank you.

Firefly Lane