4.0 out of 5 stars rhythm and blues played with danger
Published on 13 July 2011 by Micky67

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality but definitely not quantity.
Listening to the reviews and the occasional track on Planet Rock I did feel compelled to get this album and what you get is good solid four star hard/bluesy rock; however that is where it ends, nothing extra, no bells or whistles, although the last track 'Face of Light' was a variation to the previous nine tracks. The music flows just around the lyrics and the tracks...
Published on 19 Oct. 2011 by C. B. Young

4.0 out of 5 stars rhythm and blues played with danger, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
A huge Zeppelin-sized shape may cast its considerable shadow over Southern Californian outfit Rival Sons, but much like The Virginmarys this quartet's brand of dynamic Hard-Rock is more of a celebration of rock `n' roll's glory days than a mere copy -- it's `rhythm and blues played with danger` as one band member so aptly puts it. 'Pressure and Time' is their new 12-track album which is set to issued by Earache Records on June 20th. It's a bluesy, groove-laden LP full of dynamic riffs, muscular percussion and rock swagger.

Frontman and Jim Morrison lookalike Jay Buchanan possesses a confident grit-infused classic rock pitch and the band play with real desire, as if their lives depends on it. There's nothing better when a band can effortlessly hit their stride like this, distilling all that we love in a rock `n' roll group, Pink Floyd collaborator Storm Thorgersen provides the artwork for the LP, while the band are booked for both the Sonisphere and High Voltage festivals which I'll be attending and very much looking forward to on the basis of this excellent record.

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern 70's record, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
I have to agree with most reviewers about the quality of this album: it is stunningly good and mature!
This said, and even if the band clearly shows Zep influences, it is definitly a product of its time and no 70's nostalgia act despites its 70's instrumentation and sound. The zep influence is big but there's even a bigger 60's american garage rock feel to it and the main similarity for me would be with the likes of At the drive-In and Wolfmother (both also influenced by the 70's) and even sometimes The Black Crowes. I'd say that the album has a strong american feel to it.
Rival sons has that 60's/70's vibe but definitly sounds "modern"-again more in the approach than in the sound- as oppose to bands like Graveyard or Blood Ceremony and yet far from bands like The Answer or Black stone Cherry, who sound "too" modern to fully revive the 70's vibe.
Also, I don't think Rival sons could have sounded the way they do had they not been influenced by what was going on in the 90's (again Black Crowes, Pearl Jam,...).
Therefor I truely believe that this makes it even more of an interesting album.
So definitly a winner, but maybe not for those who expect a carbon copy of Sabbath, Purple or Heep releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute belter of an album - turn it up and enjoy, 20 Jun. 2011
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
I first came across this band with a free 6 track EP with Classic Rock and this album is an excellent continuation and development of that. If you like Led Zeppelin, Free , Bad Company then you should go for this - but its not a re-tread of their music. There is an energy and riffing that is impressive, and its not a million notes a minute like you can get - but its full on rock music, something that I thought was a thing of the past
The album gets off to a cracking start with All Over the Road - the first three are full on , then Only One slows things down. I really liked the 'Burn Down Los Angles' track (I think someome had a bad time there ..) and then it full on until tyhe gem at the end of the album, Face of Light. This is a lot lighter song about a boxer (neat trick to do that ..) and not what I expected at all.
So these guys are not the expected riffing all the way and I think such a great new find - and then I find they are playing my home town 6 days before my birthday - how good is that !
Crank it up - you'll love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rock, 7 Jan. 2012
Mr. R. Powell (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
Okay, so this might not be the most original album you will have heard, but since when has that been a crime? Everyone raved about Amy Whitehouse even though there was nothing original on her albums, but what she did she did very well. And the same applies here. So what if the title track sounds as though it could have come off Led Zeppelin I, or if there is more than a touch of Free and Bad Company to many of the other tracks, they do it all with such verve and confidence they just pull it off effortlessly. All the tracks are short, sharp, catchy as hell and rock like a mother. I played it to my wife the other week and within twenty minutes she was up for coming to see them with Black Stone Cherry. It may only last 30 minutes but there's an awful lot of good rockin' packed into that 30 minutes, there is no flab here. If you're a fan of great rock music do yourself a favour and buy this album, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pressure what pressure, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
This is truly one of the best debut albums I have ever heard

Came across this band at this years High Voltage Festival saw a part set was impressed amazingly tight band for younguns!

Rocky rythmic bluesey all done with almost a southern blues Skynrd Swagger
while tipping the hat to Bad Co Early Zep Black Crowes etc

Saw the full set later that day as they filled in for someone else
knew I was buying the album as soon as was possible
There truly isnt a bad track on the album

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Rock'n'Roll Swagger, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Pressure & Time (Audio CD)
I bought this album a month ago after hearing Torture on Planet Rock from the EP and it hasn't been off my ipod since. What a voice! And what swagger and talent for such a young band. Really think they're going places, the album is so fresh, yet so full of rock'n'roll groove - if you love Classic rock then you're pretty much guaranteed to love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, just give me more of it, 26 Jun. 2011
Stephen Bate (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
I got this on the day of release but thought I'd wait a week to get thoroughly into it before reviewing it. Judged on it's own, this album is excellent, I really do like it. Judged against the band's first album and their recent EP it falls a little short. Like another reviewer says, it's too short. I see so much opportunity for some of the songs to be fleshed out a little bit which I feel woud've taken them to the next level. I feel like I'm just getting into a song and ready for an extended guitar solo, and then it ends. I also can't help wondering why they released the EP six months previous to this. If they had held back some of those songs for this album it would've been epic. I'm especially thinking of the song called "Soul" here. Still, at the end of the day I'm just nitpicking. I love the title track, "Young Love", and "Face Of Light" in particular.

If there's any justice this band has a great future ahead of them. There are the inevitable comparisons to Zeppelin thrown about which, from what I've read, annoys the band a little bit but on this album I don't really feel it. If anything, I hear a bit of "Mr Mojo risin" in this one which is no bad thing. All in all, Rival Sons have a great sound, a fantastic singer, and a fine album on their hands. I just hope the next one is little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a sound, 23 Jun. 2011
Mrs. K. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the other two reviews. I also heard the band through the CD with Classic rock. Torture was the track that drew me in. Every track is loud and in your face rock with attitude. The reason for four stars? For my £9 I expect more than 30minutes!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic!, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
Hotly in line for my album of year this is a bona fide classic!

Rival Sons have been on my radar for sometime having listened to a lot of their earlier stuff on myspace and been mightly impressed. If you like classic 70's era rock ie Zeppelin, Free, Humble Pie, Yardbirds then you'e in for a real treat.

The new album is a revalation from start to finish. There are just too many highlights throughout but my personal faves are the title track Pressure and Time,the Zepplenesque Gypsy Heart and Burn Down Los Angles which has a White Stripes kinda garage feel to it. The production is also superb,sounds like it was all done on analogue tape and has that spine tingling vinyl groove, missing from most modern recordings. Can't wait to catch them live in July at the Borderline

Go out and buy it now you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Rock n Soul, 22 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
This band have produced 2 full albums and EP. And yes as other reviewers have said, this album ain't as strong. BUT! it is a rock and soul album but on EARACHE! so a powerful album with great production and playing. Played live it is a powerhouse, was lucky enough to see them at Wolverhampton a couple of months back, so if you like Black Crowes/ Led Zep, you will will love this band. Buy it now!