on 29 May 2013
I'm writing this review at about 85% of the way through the book and, although it makes interesting reading, I'm a little disappointed with the overall direction that it takes. I am finding the book very "event driven" as opposed to telling a story of a persons life, the book seems to jump from one persons comments to the next with nothing in between explaining why certain situations occurred. It could have almost been written as a series of bullet points.
The whole book also seems very negative. Now, being a devoted Yngwie fan for over 25 years I know he hasn't exactly been an angel, however this man is all about music and using his unique talent to express himself - for me, this wasn't portayed very well in the book.
Hats off to the author though for tracking down all the people who had an affect on Yngwie's life (that must have took some doing) and for persuading them to be quoted in this publication - especially Amber !! One thing missing though are comments / feedback from the great man himself and that's why this needs to be read alongside Yngwie's autobiography "Relentless" which I've already purchased and will read upon completing this book.
All in all worth a read for any fan of Yngwie Malmsteen.
on 30 September 2014
Although it races through the latter period of Yngwie's career, it is nevertheless an interesting (if unofficial) trawl through the life and times of the irascible Swede. His playing is (or at least was in those early days) untouchable. I still remember my first encounter with Yngwie (via some Steeler demos) and the shock of just how fast he played and how many notes he crammed in. As the years have gone on though his playing, although still good, wanders along the same paths and he rarely steps outside of his comfort zone. His last good album was, in my opinion, 'Facing The Animal' (and a lot of that was down to the quality of his vocalist, Mats Leven). But I digress... It comes as no surprise that his arrogance has led to his downfall on many occasions (I've met Yngwie numerous times so I have witnessed first hand how he can be) and although this is an unauthorized account of his life, I'm more inclined to believe what's written here as opposed to Yngwie's own deluded memoirs...
on 14 June 2013
This is a good book. It should really be read in conjunction with "Relentless', Yngwie's official autobiography. If you are a fan of Yngwie's music, then reading these books should reinforce the old adage that `the music should speak for itself'. After all, the characters, aggression, arguments, assaults, tragedies and downright madness behind his music do not make pleasant reading. The sheer number of people hurt intentionally or otherwise by the Yngwie behemoth is sad.

Yngwie's autobiography is clearly his personal spin on the story whilst Anders Tengner's unauthorized but well documented version seems to be more balanced. I know which version I believe!
It is interesting to note the sheer number of people who have been on the receiving end of Yngwie and despite all that has happened to them continue to maintain that deep down he is a really very nice guy. Perhaps he is? Read both books and then you decide.
on 5 January 2016
This is a great read if you are a fan of Yngwie or a fan of 80s rock/metal or guitar hero's
I have to say I preferred this book over Yngwie Malmsteen official book which seemed to gloss over the main stories and headlines of the great Swedes life.
There are some really in-depth and interesting interviews and stories from some very important people from the very beginning of Yngwie musical and personal life in Sweden and then on to his life and times in America.
This book really lifts the lid on Yngwie all the good the bad and the ugly sides of Yngwie,s personality.
on 11 March 2014
I was a fan in the early 80's before he got big and it was truly illuminating to read about his early years and what he was really getting up to!. Much more interesting than his bio. Totally recommend.
on 25 October 2014
Just brilliant is you love Yngwie read the truth its much more interesting than the gloss over relentless , Thanks Anders and Talee
on 3 November 2013
Haven't read Relentless yet, but good quotes from the many band members! A Rock n roll lifestyle to the maximum .
on 1 January 2014
20 years ago, as a beginning guitar player, I thought Malmsteen really was what he APPEARED: a master of his own destiny, a brilliant genius.

20 years later, this book showed me that I was looking at a myth I had constructed myself: Malmsteen was, is , a deplorable, ridiculous clown with serious mental issues. I had heard he was difficult, but not THAT bad. This book blew my mind, it interviews about 50 people who knew him well and tells you details that Malmsteen will NEVER have the balls to admit in his half-assed autobiography.

The guy is a loser with serious self esteem issues who would beat his chest and talking crap (he's a Viking, etc) and get his ass beaten in fights, only to whimper 'wait for me, guys'.

After reading this book, I lost all respect for him. What a stupid individual, he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Read for yourself, it's absolutely one masterwork of a biography
on 14 February 2016
A must have for fans. Husband is stil quoting from the book.
on 11 May 2015
Fascinating, compelling and at times downright funny !