5.0 out of 5 stars This was one of those rare books that I could not put down.
Published on 18 Feb 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for travel journal addicts.
Published on 25 July 2011 by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars This was one of those rare books that I could not put down., 18 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Although I initially purchased this book because of my interest in the band Rush (the author is the drummer and lyricist) I have to say that after the first chapter I had forgotten all about this as I began to get drawn into the story which documents the author's cycling holiday in West Africa in 1988. Neil Peart's writing style makes the book very easy to read without every making the subject seem trivial. His honesty, observation, and humility are very refreshing.
Although I had no interest in cycling or West Africa before I read the book I feel that it opened my eyes to another world, one that is not easily accessible even in these days of television and the internet.
I would recommend it to anyone. It was my surprise hit book of last year.

4.0 out of 5 stars As ever good stuff, 25 Sep 2009
S. Cannings - See all my reviews
This is the first of Neil's books although I've actually read them in the wrong order, no worry though, as ever his style of writing is easy but intelligent. I'm a very keen cyclist myself and many of his descriptions ring so true, there is as ever an open honest realting of his opinion on things that many have been annoyed by in his other books. Personally I can quite understand that he gets uncomfortable being a world famous rock star and tries to live life under the radar as it were. This isn't just a book for Rush fans, in fact there is all but no mention of that part of his life, instead it's a well written travel book that suceeds in portraying the journey taken really well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drumbeats in Africa, 4 Jun 2009
A. Self (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for two reasons, I'm a big Rush fan and I've also been to Cameroon - the location for Neil Peart's cycling holiday which this book is about. It's perfect for anyone who enjoys good travel books, especially if they have an interest in Africa. For dedicated Rush fans it's well worth getting to get an insight into the mind of their drummer and to where he gets inspiration from for some of his lyrics.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, memories of travelling through Cameroon came flooding back as Neil endured the hardships of cycling along dusty roads with an odd bunch of companions. Although when I lent this book to a fellow Rush fan she gave up on it after one chapter!

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing text, 1 Oct 2011
A. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Masked Rider (Kindle Edition)
This review is specifically of the Kindle edition. Two out of the first five chapters stop mid sentence and skip to the beginning of the next chapter. Gave up and asked for a refund the second time this happened, so I'm not sure how much more is missing.
I did enjoy what I read so far and will probably be buying a physical copy at some point.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for travel journal addicts., 25 July 2011
I did enjoy reading this book to some extend. It wasn't particularly "unputdownable". At times I got a bit fed up about his moans about fellow travellers, but then your relationships with your companions are part of the experience when you're travelling in a group. I suppose it all comes down to what you want from a book. I was hoping for more in depth focus on his experience of Africa. Not that it is lacking, but maybe I was hoping for a more intense experience of Cameroon. Sometimes I had the feeling Mr. Peart got too much caught up in his moans about his fellow travellers. But hey, a solid effort for a first book. So, personally I think the book is okay, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I'm reading "Ghost Rider" now. I think I like that one better. Probably because the book gives you what you expect of it; his story of what goes on inside him after his personal tragedies while he's travelling. And as a writer he comes across maturer in "Ghost Rider".
However, I still feel that he is stronger at writing song lyrics. Although I don't always agree with his views I think they're some of the best in rock. His drumming? Now, that is the good man's best skill, if you ask me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present for a Rush fan, 2 Mar 2011
An excellent read - the recipient of this gift read it in two sittings. Written from the heart with a passion for cycling, music and lyrics.

ARRAY(0xaef45954)