Expert Shield - THE Screen Protectors for: FujiFilm Cameras *Lifetime Guarantee* (FujiFilm FinePix X100S Crystal Clear Expert Shield)
Size: FujiFilm FinePix X100S Crystal Clear Expert ShieldChange
Price:£7.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 August 2012
As others have pointed out, the screen protector is actually slightly smaller than the screen on the camera. Resulting in around a 1mm gap on every side. Initially I thought no more of it as once the screen is on you don't really notice if looking straight at the screen.

The problem arises when you try to take high of low shots as there is a distinct line across the screen from the edge of the protector. Aside from this the screen protector seems of good enough quality and was easy enough to apply bubble-free, I just don't understand why it can't be cut to the same size as the screen. If it's meant to be for a specific camera, you would imagine its dimensions would match those of that camera.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 June 2014
This is the third Expert Shield protector I have bought. I bought one last week to fit my X-E2, it fitted cleanly first time. This one wasn't so easy, but only because there was so much dust about. I fitted it in a humid bathroom using the supplied cloth and a torch, as recommended, but had 2 or 3 dust particles trapped every time. Never mind, perseverance won. I used their suggestion of lifting the shield with Sellotape and fishing the offending speck out. I used a Spec Grabber ( bits of Sellotape left a residue) to grab the specs and within a couple of minutes, the screen protector was fitted. It looks perfect, fits very well and is totally un-noticeable. No flappy edges, lumps or bumps. The protector is cut just a little smaller than the screen, and time spent lining it up properly is time well spent.
on 27 November 2013
I ordered this product on 20 November for my Fuji X100S and it was delivered on 25 November, well within the delivery window. When I applied it, I found that there were some small marks at the top left hand corner. The screen on the X100S is smallish and I think I had aligned the product slightly incorrectly. I gave it four stars, for no other reason than that the blemish made it look imperfect. The next day I received, unprompted, an email from Vikki at Expert Shield offering me a free replacement and giving me a link to their blog which gives clear instructions and tips on fitting the screen protector. She asked me to feed back on the refitting of it. The replacement protector arrived today and I fitted it this evening, perfectly this time! It is invisible and is a high quality item. It's very rare in my experience to get this superb level of customer care and I can highly recommend Expert Shield as a business and the product. Excellent! Hence the unequivocal five stars.
on 7 November 2013
I am enormously sceptical of any stick-on screen protectors as a rule, having fallen for a phone or camera protector several times which I ended up throwing away because it provided no protection and lots of bubbles!

I gave this a try because no hard plastic protectors appear to be available for the X100s, and because I trusted the reviews(!) I wasn't disappointed. It is a little tricky to get the edge to line up but once you do it is a perfect fit for the screen. A little too perfect maybe, for those who expect to cover the bezel too but for me it's just right to the last tenth of an mm. It's also hard and firm enough for good protection (I think) while being extremely transparent and with no discernible colour cast. It's the first time I've ever been happy with a screen protector. And it comes with a microfibre cloth which of course will continue to be handy for cleaning the screen, lens and viewfinder.

In addition to using the making sure there is no dirt whatsoever on the screen before application and doing this in a steamed up bathroom so that any dust has settled, my other only tip is that if you are going to use a credit card as a squeegee do make sure to cover the edge with the microfibre cloth so that you don't leave any scratches on the protector.

I'm already using my X100s for a lot of street photography, so I'm grateful to have the protection while the camera bounces off my hip all over town.

Excellent after sales service from the seller too.
on 12 April 2012
I've no experience with screen protectors and have just purchased this product on its promise of durability and ease of fitting.
It arrived promptly and went on so easily that, for a few minutes I didn't realise that it WAS in fact on, which I suppose proves the point! Just read the simple instructions twice and you won't have my uncertainty. Very pleased that the appearance of the camera is totally unaltered (no bubbles evident) and, like the camera, it's made in Japan which is somehow reassuring!
on 15 October 2013
Summary: Well designed, but puzzlingly does not exactly fit the X-E1's screen!

This screen protector came with a card urging me to provide feedback, and within a week after buying I received no less than three e-mails via Amazon again prodding me to do so. Expert Shield seem pretty keen to know how you like their stuff...

1) Packaging: Minimalist and mostly cardboard. The Planet thanks you. Cleaning cloth enclosed.

2) Application: Worked surprisingly well. Before placing the protector I cleaned the screen so thoroughly that only now did I spot some microscopic scratches along the right edge. I managed to stick the protector to the screen without any dust or bubbles trapped beneath it. Just follow the - barely legible - instructions and keep a cool head. Make sure you have lots of (day) light and put the body cap on the camera. Use a brush to remove the last specs of dust, a blower causes too much turbulence.

3) Look: The material looks *almost* crystal clear. The only problem I have with the protector is that it does not fit the X-E1's screen exactly. Its width is subtly oversized - less than 1mm - which works out perfectly. But its height is slightly less than the screen's, leaving a tiny strip uncovered at top and bottom. When looking at the screen in typical chimping position, I sometimes see the edge of the protector across the image. Aligning the protector exactly with the top of the screen and leaving a small strip uncovered at the bottom probably would have created a better visual result.

4) Does it work? Not a clue. My X-E1's screen was almost pristine after ten months of use, so it will take some time to find out how well the protector works.

5) Do I recommend / would I buy again? With reservations, yes.

6) Anything else? Yes: sell these in packages of two, so I can replace it after a year. Also reduces failed application anxiety.
on 17 September 2013
Having decided to purchase an X20FujiFilm X20 Digital Camera Silver (12MP X-Trans CMOS II With EXR Processor II, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch Premium LCD, a case to carry it inFujifilm Leather Case for X20/X10 and a protector filter for the lensFujifilm X20 Lens Hood/Filter Kit - Silver it seemed to me that it would be tempting fate to ignore the LCD monitor. I noticed there are two versions of the Expert Shield, £1.00 apart; assuming the only difference was the anti-glare property of the more expensive one, I contacted Ed Tyson at ES for confirmation. What I discovered was more interesting; evidently, the anti-glare version has a matte finish and tends to reduce the display image slightly whereas this, cheaper version, has a glass-like finish maintaining the clarity of the original display without any reduction in image quality. Because I liked the idea of the latter more, although probably because I am a tightwad, I opted for this version. The X20 has a Monitor Sunlight Mode in the Setup Menu to make the display easier to read in bright light. Anyway, Ed assured me, if at any time I want to switch to the anti-glare version, that will be fine. I was already getting a great feeling about this setup. On the day, the Expert Shield went on easily. A few air bubbles appeared which disappeared as soon as a plastic card was gently applied. However, when Step 2 was removed, some blemishes were revealed on the Expert Shield. No amount of gently wiping with a dry PEC-PADPEC-PAD Photowipes for Photographic Emulsion, 100 Sheets 4x4" [Camera] or the little black cloth enclosed with this product would remove them. An email to ES elicited a quick reply from Vikki Kershaw and a replacement was received the next day. All is now fine, and I must say that, in addition to what appears to be an excellent product, I was most impressed by the professional attitude and excellent, friendly service demonstrated by both Ed and Vikki. Of course, having only just installed the Expert Shield, not enough time has elapsed to tell how effective it will prove to be in practice. Perhaps an update in a year or so, if I can remember. But, if my experience so far is anything to go by, I have every confidence. An excellent product from a small, growing company to watch!
on 6 June 2014
I bought this after trying a much cheaper screen protector that was supplied as a pack of three. Those three lasted less than one day each because they were so thin and flimsy and caught anything the camera rubbed against. This Expert Shield protector is far superior as it is made from a much thicker and better quality plastic.

Application was simple but you do need to be very accurate. The screen protector is cut *exactly* to size so any slight misalignment and you will have a corner or edge overhanging the screen and that will catch on things a cause the plastic to lift back off the screen.

It's still early days and I can't comment on the long term durability but so far everything is perfect with this product.
on 4 April 2012
I've used anti-glare protectors before and have always found them to be difficult to apply and no matter how carefully applied I've had the "bubble syndrome". In fact they've made the camera screen look worse.
The Expert Shield is perfect. Very easy to apply, just get the alignment correct and when you are set remove the final layer. No bubbles at all, it looks like part of the camera screen.
I works too. It does what the box says. I would recommend these to anyone with a camera and will now stay away from cheap alternatives as they just don't work.
Well done, it's great to use a quality product.Expert Shield - THE ANTI-GLARE Screen Protector: for FujiFilm FinePix X100 *Lifetime Guarantee*
on 18 February 2015
The screen protector is awesome!

One of the most notable points about this product is the awesome customer service that ExpertShield provides - which, if you think about it, is absolutely essential in the success of a company that deals exclusively with screenguards, a product that carries such a notorious stigma.
Let me explain:

First, I was a fool not to heed the advice of the packet, and didn't apply the protector in a 'steamy environment'. HEED THIS ADVICE! Run a shower in your bathroom for few mins, and do it in there. To do it in any other environment is asking for disaster - if even one little speck gets under in the process, you'll kick yourself. Saying this, all is not lost, as the screen protector is extremely durable and may be cleaned easily. (But again, do this somewhere steamy, please!)

Second important thing: if you do need to lift the protector once it's been applied, use PROPER STICKY TAPE. Like sellotape brand, or something.
I, again, was a fool and tried to use PVC electrical tape, and that didn't provide the lifting force needed. I then tried to peel the protector off using my fingernail - BIG MISTAKE! I permanently damaged the corner of the protector. Whoops. It still works fine, and will probably last a while before any dust gets under it, but it's visible and not so nice like this.

So, coming back to customer service - I sent one email explaining my scenario to Expert Shield, who were very receptive and good enough to send a replacement protector via first class post immediately. They mean it when they say 100% satisfaction guaranteed! Like I said, this is the only viable business model for a company that deals exclusively with products of such notorious rep ,and Expert Shield have got it right, and do it so very well for that matter.

All in all, an excellent product experience, don't let the issue of putting a screenguard on put you off. It's well worth it, and once you've done it, your camera will be well protected.

One last note: My fave thing is that I can wear my Fuji round my neck without fear that metal zips on my jackets will scratch it! This danger would have normally put me off carrying it like this, but in allowing me to do so, the 'creative' value of my camera is increased three fold - the best camera is the camera you have with you (or round your neck).

See one answered question