5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping read by Susan Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 12 months ago by Kennedygirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping read by Susan Lewis, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Truth About You (Hardcover)
Lainey Hollingsworth has lived her life with the secrets of her birth and her Mother's life hanging over her. She knew her Mother had arrived in England from Italy when Lainey was a newborn, and never had contact with her family or Lainey's father, but as she refused to talk about anything to do with her life in Italy shunning the language and her roots it left a gaping hole in Lainey's life.

Her adoptive Father, Peter, is now suffering from dementia and is in no position to share any of what he may or may not know, but Lainey appreciates how lucky she has been to have had a Father like Peter and adores him for giving her the life he gave her.

Lainey is happily married to author, Tom Hollingsworth. She thinks that she has it all, a loving husband, a beautiful home and two healthy children. Then another secret is revealed that will change their lives forever.

She feels that there is a gap in her life that could be filled with the knowledge of her Mother's life, so decides to visit Umbria, armed only with part of an old crytpic letter of her Mother's, and a few names which went back many, many years.

Luckily Lainey finds people that still remember her family, and after a lot of coaxing she gets them to spill the unspeakable secrets that her Mother hid for so long.

This latest offering from Susan Lewis is another compelling treat for readers, again covering realistic and difficult subjects with the utmost of sensitivity.

As always with Lewis the writing is superb, the characters are engaging and likeable; I felt Lainey's strains and hardships along with her and had a knot lodged deeply in my stomach with the storyline of their teenage daughter, Tierney. The plot was fast paced and had many twists and turns/highs and lows it was impossible to put down.

The ending made me shed uncontrollable tears and was by far one of the most poignant conclusions to a book that I have read.

There is very little else I can say without revealing any spoilers but I loved the way that such strong values were upheld, the sanctity of marriage and the ethos of family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another astounding read by this author., 19 Nov. 2013
The Truth About You by Susan Lewis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have just finished reading Susan Lewis new book. I was gifted this to read with agreement from Random house publishers and author via Net Galley for an honest review.

Susan Lewis is one of my favourite authors and has been for a long time, so I was thrilled to be able to get an advanced copy.

This story is told in the splendour and warmth that this author always portrays in her reads. They lead into people who become real to you, they could be your neighbors, your friends or your family.

This is a family that have secrets. A family with questions pertaining to two different subjects. A daughter who too hides a path of secrets and a brother like any brother. Argues with each other, but in time of need are there for each other.

This is a family tale the way that Susan Lewis perfects it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Susan Lewis but this book was a double disappointment. Like other reviewers I felt it all started off very well but it rapidly became boring and tedious, found myself skipping a lot of meaningless drivel and really struggled to get to the end. The main characters are thoroughly unlikeable, it was hard to tell who was worst, the self centred smug adults or the obnoxious promiscuous teenagers. There were too many strands to this story, infidelity, internet stalking of a young girl, dark family secrets on both sides and the the plot just lost it! So, you might say 'bad luck', it happens to us all sometimes, you see a book you like in the store, have a quick peek at the first few chapters, pay your dosh and head home to enjoy it. The reason I say double disappointment is because when I seen it was a Susan Lewis book, I didn't bother peeking, I just grabbed it fully confident that it would be a great read. I don't like giving such a poor review as Susan has previously done some great stuff. I'd highly recommend 'Losing You' and 'No Child Of Mine'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother with this absolute trash!, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Paperback)
When I immerse myself into a book I like to forget about the outside world however this was impossible as on practically every page the phones were constantly ringing the characters were either making phone calls , texting or receiving texts checking emails oh and Skype appeared(in a ridiculous and nasty subplot involving the daughter) Frankly I was amazed FaceTime wasn't included! All this resulted in was constantly interrupted and irrelevant conversations . Now onto the dreadful daughter Tierney , if I as a hormonal 15 year old had spoken to my mum with the foul language as she did my feet wouldn't have touched the ground. I would have had more respect anyway.As for the foul mouthed,lazy work shy,living off parents Max words fail me. Why did Lainey the mother allow them to treat her this way?Then we move to Italy to find out about Laineys past ,what a drawn out boring part of the book this was without a proper conclusion. When Lainey found out about husbands secret which was quite a bombshell they couldn't even communicate properly about this and then we the readers had to accept the fact that everybody in this dysfunctional family were all going to live together happily ever after! Dream on .I don't think a book has irritated or annoyed me as much as this one the only reason I didn't hurl it through the window was because I was bedridden and didn't have anything else to read.The only 2 characters I had any empathy with was the senile old man and his constant canine companion. Glad to have got all that off my chest I will never read another Susan Lewis book again as her writing is absolutely appalling!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Truth .....not good, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Kindle Edition)
I have always been a big fan of this author from one of her early titles Dance while you can.But this one just left me wondering if maybe she had wrote a short story and put in extra detail and conversations that were not needed to make it into a novel. It needed more about the mother's discovery about her conception and her grandparents. And don't get me started about her husband. All in all a waste of time and money,better of reading one of those true life magazines that cover inane topics such as my thirty stone toenail.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell flat for me, 27 Dec. 2013
A review copy was provided by Louise Page PR in return for an honest review

I waited a while before writing this review. I had struggled with guilt for a while as I didn't really enjoy it but I felt horrible about posting a bad review when someone had been nice enough to send me a book. However in the interest of fairness I felt like I had to post this. It does say in my review policy that my reviews will be honest and I have to stick to that. I certainly wouldn't trust the opinion of a blog that has nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews.

The truth about you started well and looked very promising. It's unusual for the main character to be "the other woman". I could feel good things starting to happen. The problem is they never really happened for me.

I found the inclusion of 50 shades of Grey a little ridiculous. The behaviour doesn't fit well with that of a rebellious teen. Again I found the behaviour of her friend Skye too over the top. Nothing seemed to balance.

The novel ambles a long and doesn't really build any suspense or tension. I found myself getting really irritated with every character. I was hoping for some action when Lainey finally reached Italy but again it just fell flat for me.

There are some attempts at plot twists but I found them predictable and underwhelming. If you have been a long time fan of Susan Lewis then I'm sure you'll be satisfied with this instalment. There just wasn't enough too it to make it memorable for me.

more @ [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story with Family at the heart., 10 Dec. 2013
Ismay1012 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Truth About You (Hardcover)
Lainey Hollingsworth grew up in England, leaving Italy with her Italian mother when she was a baby-in-arms. Until her mother's death she had never returned. With her beloved step-father in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease she can find no answers to the question of her paternity, so Lainey books a holiday in the little town near where her mother lived as a girl.

With her marriage and family life in chaos when another long-held secret is revealed, Lainey is forced to face the shocking truth without the support of her husband Tom. She journeys with her children, stepson and a friend of each of them to a beautiful villa in Umbria. With the help of newly made Italian friends she begins a search for her roots, unprepared for what she will eventually learn: a second family secret revealed which turns her whole world on its head.

This is a very powerful and emotional novel with Susan Lewis at her best when writing about family problems and dynamics. Her timeless and involving style, her characterisation and her wonderful descriptions make this a novel not to be missed.

2.0 out of 5 stars are we really expected to believe that the daughter's first sexual experiences are like something out of the ridiculous '50 shad, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Kindle Edition)
I am a fan of Susan Lewis but this book is irritating, the people are constantly on the phone, checking emails, checking texts etc. The plot involving the teenagers, I hope is not reflective of young women in these kind of families, are we really expected to believe that the daughter's first sexual experiences are like something out of the ridiculous '50 shades'. I also found the way the couple did not communicate over his secret annoying and found myself shouting just talk to each other for goodness sake! Lainey is a doormat and was always taking very bad behaviour, also annoying. If you want to see what Susan Lewis is really like as an author read No child of Mine and the follow up Don't Let Me Go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 26 April 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Paperback)
As with the majority of Susan Lewis book the story grabs you and you don't want to put the book down. You can identify with the heroine and feel her pain.

2.0 out of 5 stars it was an easy read but nothing compared to Susan Lewis' earlier novels, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Truth About You (Kindle Edition)
it was ok. The ending was predictable and I actually found it almost patronising ... Not to give the story away but the issues raised towards the end were clumsy, unrealistic and a bit insulting. Lainey's big secret was not that unthinkable .. in fact it was obvious and the friendships developed in the book were unrealistic. it was an easy read but nothing compared to Susan Lewis' earlier novels. This was generally a disappointment.

The Truth About You