5.0 out of 5 stars So, so fast!
I've recently built myself a PC, the first one I've done and decided if I was doing it, I was going the whole hog and getting the best bits I could.

This processor sits definitively in that category.

Published 13 months ago by Kenty7

3.0 out of 5 stars Very cool chip - but K chips not for VMWARE !!!
Building a new VMWare rig I did the usual research and choose the 4770 family - then choose the mother board (GA-Z87-HD3) and its mind boggling BIOS. Takes a while to get through - more on that in its review!

However , sadly the K chips are all missing a vital component for Virtualisation - the "Direct IO (VT-d)" feature.

So now I need to get...
Published 11 months ago by CymonZ

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so fast!, 1 Nov 2013
Kenty7 (Nottingham, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) (Personal Computers)

This processor sits definitively in that category.

It's not cheap by any means, but I've installed it onto an MSI 787-GD65-Gaming mother board and it was easy to install, was a HUGE jump on my old Q 9550 quad core and contrary to a lot of reviews I read, doesn't run that hot at all. Mind I am running a H100i closed loop cooling system so that will help, but even over clocked at 4.2Ghz it's still only getting up to 42-42 Celsius under normal use. By normal I mean gaming!

Whilst there may be cheaper processors that will give similar performance, I wanted the best I could afford and I can tell you now this has not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, stable platform, 30 Jun 2014
I have had this processor for a while now and I have to say it is one of the best processors I have used, I came from a AMD fx8350.
I have it installed on a Asus z87-a board and it has proven to be a very stable and quick platform.

I started with the stock fan but could not resist overclocking it and soon had 4.3gz, then changed to CM Hyper 412s and moved up to 4.4gz. Now I am on a corsair h105 and at 4.6gz and running cool(ish) upto 81c full load(realbench/aida64. mainly I play Borderlands 2 or Diablo 3 and the I7 rarely gets of 60c, however if I was encoding video most of the day I think I would drop down to 4.5gz and reduce the voltage.

This I7 only runs hot after 4.4 really when you need to hit it with lots of volts to make it stable and at 4.3 it is cool enough, so I feel it is really a case of common sense and research.

I know not all 4770k can run at 4.4 and above (this is not a 1.2v golden chip), but it has been solid and has all the potential I require.

However now that the new i7 4790k is out I would really love to put it through as much as my 4770k as see how it compares temp/voltage and workload wise. It could well be that the extra price on the new chip is worth the outlay.

The onboard video card is best for web browsing and very undemanding games really, I never intended to use it but did test it, normally I run a Nvida 660ti.

It is well worth considering buying decent thermal paste for this I7 you certainly wont be sorry as the stock paste is a poor performer. Something like Artic 5 etc. All in all there really is very little to grumble about esp if you are going to run at stock, install and enjoy 7 -10 years of use or push it and who keeps a system that long anyway :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Processor, But only a modest jump in performance, 10 April 2014
I picked up this CPU for use in my Home theater setup, so that is what I will focus on... I'll leave the tech specs to others...

**Update: My CPU average temperatures at idle were 35C, using the same cooling setup on the 4770K I am seeing 32C... Also the Case ambient temps were 30C and now are 28C... Under load the CPU used to hit 69C, it now hits only 60C... This is using the same cooler as was used with the 3770K. So this CPU does appear to have a significant thermal advantage over the 3rd Gen i7 3770K...** This might be important if you are building a micro PC... Keep in mind these temps are at stock levels, I did not overclock my 3770K and have not done it on the 4770K... I bought the K option just in case I decided to do it...

This did change my "windows Experience Index" score from a 7.7 for the CPU (on the 3770K) to a 7.8 (on the 4770K)That is on a scale of 1.0-7.9 It did not change any other ratings on the system...
Determine from that what you will, but my actual usage scenario is below...

Keep in Mind, This CPU uses the 1150 Socket, not the 1155, So you will need a Motherboard that supports The 1150 Socket (but will fit CPU coolers designed for 1155 or 1156 sockets)... So if you plan to upgrade you're probably going to need a new Motherboard as well...

This is my real world experience:

I run Windows 7 with Various media programs installed, These include XBMC, MediaBrowser, Media Center Master, Serviio among a few others...

The major task I use this CPU for is simultaneously serving media to 6-8 TVs and keeping my media collection up to date and organized. Honestly an i7 is a bit overkill for this but I wanted to be sure I could handle even the most intense 1080p 3D trans-coding and streaming with all the TVs running at once. I jumped to the i7 4770K from the 3770K and honestly I see no real world difference...

The media does not seem measurably quicker, nor does it raise the quality (I use a discrete video Card for Graphics processing)...

Overall I think this CPU is awesome, but it is a modest jump from the 3770K and if you are on 3rd gen Intel i7 already I would skip the upgrade and stick with what you have, but if you are coming from a Gen 1-2 i7 the upgrade would be worth it... Spending upwards of $400 or more to upgrade (CPU and Motherboard)for a modest improvement just doesn't seem like a great value, but the significant improvements from the older Gen 1/2 i7's would make it worth the upgrade.

4 Stars for the Modest advancement, had this really made an impact in my home theater setup I could have given it 5 stars.

Components in my personal Build:
Silverstone Tek GD-08 Case
ASUS Z87-PRO Intel Z87 4DIMM ATX
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze
SAMSUNG 840 250GB 2.5 SATA III
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50 GHz LGA1150
Kingston XMP 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 (Kit of 4) XMP
Blu-ray Optical Drive
5 Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III (12TB Usable with Raid Config)
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card

Just my thoughts,

MG

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 Jan 2014
First gaming build. Got this to go with MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING ATX Motherboard, well happy, no problems, goes like a dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for rendering, 13 Jan 2014
i bought this along with the msi z87 g45 motherboard.. i mainly use it for rendering and 3D stuff,its fast, great

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed out in the silicon lottery, 18 Mar 2014
It's a great cpu, I got it for a gaming build along with an MSI gaming motherboard, SSD, 2133 mhz ram and an EVGA 780 graphics card. I've ended up with a capable gaming rig. The only thing you need to be aware of is what there calling the silicon lottery, Basically by buying a K model you get an unlocked chip that you can overclock. They do not all overclock the same so it's the luck of the draw how well yours overclocks. However even without an overclock it's one of the quickest cpu's available and beats the best AMD can offer in the majority of tests even if the AMD is overclocked and this isn't. So even a small overclock puts it way ahead of the competition in 80% of the tests that are available for benchmarking. The internet and U-tube is full of channels where you can research a product like this and that's what I did and this is the chip to have without going into the extreme in name and price chips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woosh, 13 Sep 2014
C. Smith (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Woosh..... This thing flies - just right for intensive crunching activities such as video editing (though not as much of a benefit over an i5 for gaming so I hear)

Woosh could also be the sound of the large amount of cash being wrenched from your wallet :(

Luckily, I paid by credit card so I didn't hear a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need for OC with PCSX2 and Dolphin, 26 Nov 2013
Not going to go into too much detail here as most of the key features/points have been covered already in depth. Ive tested this I7 with the Dolphin and Pcsx2 emulators in during my first few days with the chip and i must say the gains over Ivy Bridge are phenomenal. Most review sites state that a 10 to 15 percent performance increase is all Haswell offers but for the purpose of intense video game emulation id have to say its more like 25 percent and that's just at stock. This thing demolishes anything you can throw at it without even breaking a sweat. Would definitely recommend for PC gamers and users of the above two emulators even at stock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 20 July 2014
This is amazing. Got mine overclocked to 4.3Ghz which kills everything I throw at it. Mainly use it for gaming and just doesn't let you down. Got the built in graphics overclocked to 1.5Ghz which increases the performance massively, highly recommend overclocking the graphics. I don't recommend the stock cooler, but if you pair this up with an after market cooler, in my case a CM Hyper 412, you will get some very low temps and your case doesn't sound like a jet taking off. The hyper-threading is just a bonus. This product is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe next time Games Consoles., 24 Sep 2014
Excellent bit of kit, currently the brains behind my gaming rig putting the Xbox One and PS4 to shame.