Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 24 June 2014
I spent quite a while trying to decide between this and the i7-4770k for my new gaming computer. Ultimately I decided to save some money by taking the i5-4760k and I'm very happy with my decision. Coupled with the GTX770 (2Gb model by Palit http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GeForce-Jetstream-Graphics-Express/dp/B00D3ZYDLQ/) it plays every game I've tried on maximum/ultra settings without a problem.

Even new 2014 games like Titanfall easily exceed the 60fps required for truely smooth gameplay and the slowest framerate I've seen so far was about 40fps on Crysis 3 when I turned absolutely every setting I could find up to the maximum possible.

So if you're making a gaming pc then really you don't need to get anything better than this. There are no games available yet that this can't run easily with a decent graphics card.

That said, I would definitely encourage you to look at the new Devil's Canyon range of chips which have just been released and can be bought at other retailers online now (June 2014). For the uninitiated these are a 'refreshed' update of the current Haswell chip range (which includes this i5-4670k). The refreshed version of the i5-4760k will be the Devil's Canyon i5-4690k. (The higher spec i7-4770 becomes the new Devil's Canyon i7-4790k by the way)

The new Devil's Canyon versions have slightly higher chip speeds and are better at heat management so the chips are less likely to overheat under stress or due to overclocking. The new Devil's Canyon chips are of course more expensive, but are slightly more future proofed for future games and applications.

But as I said above, if you're trying to make a gaming computer on a limited budget then you can't go wrong with the i5-4760k. It can confidently handle any game out there right now! :)
on 28 July 2013
If you have a 3570k, its not worth buying a new motherboard over, as you wont get a worthwhile performance boost over ivy bridge, and ivy bridge over clocks better, so they're pretty much exactly the same. For a brand new system however, its definitely worth purchasing, temperatures at stock are great, don't know about overclocking temps, but anyone else will tell you they're bad, so if you plan to over clock, keep the speeds low and/or get a aftermarket cooler. Performance wise, its brilliant, a small improvement over ivy bridge (I haven't over clocked) handles high end games at 1080p beautifully and is definitely a worthwhile purchase. Highly recommend for brand new systems.
Also my gfx card is a gtx 650 ti boost.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 May 2014
When I built my gaming Rig I didn't have the money to get the I7 so i went for the next best thing and purchased a one of these.

Had it running in my system now for atlest half a year so Its had a thorough testing and its still marching on strong, when paired with 2 7950's in crossfire the entire system is fantastic for gaming!!!.

Overclocking, right now I have the cores set to overclock at 4.3GHz, it seems its a good overclocking core. I have had it higher, but after my OS got moved onto a SSD i haven't really had the need to overclock so high again.

Temperatures are all right to meh at best, on a Corsair H60 I average about 35-45 degrees. (although as I write this its nearer 50.....)

Over all a good CPU for gamers, people who want to do average work (non rendering, if any one wants to render you want hyper threading which isn't included on I5's) and just have a speedy system.

My system specs.
4670K CPU OC'd to 4.3GHz
Corsair CX750M PSU
120gb Crucial SSD
Hydro - H60
8gb Kingston Genesis blue ram
2 X Radeon hd 7950 (in crossfire).
on 6 March 2014
Buy this! i5 price is great and you would only need an i7 unless you are recording
videos and Editing.
on 1 April 2014
Unless you're in a career which requires massive amounts of calculations this is the CPU you should get. I still haven't maxed out all cores at the same time, even when running CPU intensive games on full settings, and I have not yet overclocked it. In short, I don't need an i7, and neither will you, most likely. As games become more advanced as time goes by you'll always be able to overclock.
on 1 June 2014
So I got this processor around 6 months ago,
I got it as a change from AMD to intel. I was running a FX-4170, which not only drew so much more power than the 4670K, but was also far less powerful.

-Gaming

With games the 4670K performs remarkably well. I am not sure how else to show you (without benchmarks) so I am going to tell you my whole rig, and some FPS I achieve.

Intel 4670K - Custom water loop.
R9 290 Windforce Edition
Corsair Domintator Platinum 8GB
Gigabyte UD3H Z87
RM 750 PSU

Battlefield 4 - 100-120 FPS (avg)
Black flag - 60 FPS (This game is capped to 60, so obviously I am unable to get higher)
Crysis 3 - 75-80 FPS

As you can see it performs well and is a great little CPU.

10/10
on 7 July 2013
As part of a new build, I was debating whether or not it was worth investing in the new Haswell CPUs or whether just to go with the tried and tested third generation. I decided to go with Haswell and I can't say I'm disappointed.

My previous build had a Phenom II, which whilst good in its day was really starting to show its age. The difference between this and the Phenom was night and day, and is everything you'd expect from an i5. Performance compared to previous generations isn't hugely improved (~10% increase at most), but then 10% is better than no improvement at all. The stock cooler is actually fairly decent when I tried it out, although I was getting 70c on load which was a little bit too hot for my liking. Installing an aftermarket cooler (Evo 212 in my case) reduced this to around 55c on load, which is obviously a much nicer number. While heat isn't an issue, it does run quite hot (and can run pretty hot as the Tj Max is rather high on these), so don't be too alarmed if you're hitting pretty high temperatures. Haswell seems to run a tad hotter, but it's not by much.

Installation is as easy as any other CPU, however when putting the clamp down from the motherboard I did really have to force it down, almost to the point where I thought I was breaking it. It even left a small scuff mark on the metal casing on top of the CPU. However this is normal and so don't be alarmed if this happens, it needs to be secured tightly. Apart from that it's pretty much just a standard installation, fairly straightforward (and of course also comes with an included Intel sticker, lovely!).

Buying the K variant allows overclocking (as it's unlocked), and therefore is as easy as raising the CPU multiplier in the BIOS. You can then mess around with all the other settings if you're going for gold with your overclock (such as voltages and the clock speed), but if you're just looking for a mild to standard overclock then it really is as easy as it sounds. Some extreme overclockers have reported that the Haswell line isn't quite as good for overclocking as the older generations, but for the majority of people who just want to overclock to ~4GHz or less, then you won't have any issues. Just watch your temperatures, and also bear in mind that it's fairly common for one core to run 3-8c hotter than the rest.

As it's a new socket type and there are no revolutionary new features, it's admittedly probably not worth the upgrade if you already own a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU. However if you're doing a new build or are looking to upgrade from an older CPU, then it's definitely worth investing in a 1150 socket motherboard and getting the Haswell line for roughly the same price as previous generations. A ~10% performance increase is always welcome and you're future proofing yourself a lot more for the next Intel releases. Unless you do heavy video editing, rendering or modelling, you won't benefit from the i7's multitasking capabilities, and so this CPU is currently the top of the line for the price for gamers and power users alike.
on 7 June 2014
This review is for people considering this CPU for their gaming PC.

The i5-4670k is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been trying to build a gaming PC to handle my favourite games, but it's taken me three attempts to get it right.

I decided to purchase this, along with the Gigabyte Z97X-SLI motherboard, and it's a great combo. My previous CPU was an AMD FX-8320, which was incapable of keeping BF4 running stable, and would constantly fluctuate between 22 and 45FPS - a very annoying experience. With this i5, I have managed to not only maintain a minimum frame rate above 60FPS, but I have also increased some of the settings, to the point where I am almost on full ultra.

I have achieved this with a Gigabyte HD7870 OC graphics card, which is the same GPU I used with the FX-8320.
My performance on PlanetSide 2 also increased significantly, and Watch Dogs, which would turn into a slideshow when driving, became completely playable.

Then I decided to overclock. I didn't change any voltages, and I am using a Noctua NH-D14 to keep my CPU temperatures under control. I went up to 4GHz before I started to have throttling problems due to high temperatures - but an i5-4670k at 4GHz is an absolute beast.

I can post benchmarks all day, but here's the bottom line: If you want to play high end games, like Battlefield 4, PlanetSide 2, Watch Dogs and Arma, and you want them to run well, consistently, you REQUIRE an Intel CPU.

I've had a couple of AMD CPUs now, and for the price, they aren't bad, but - none of them can compete with an i5 in gaming performance. If you want the smoothest gaming experience possible, get a good i5, such as this.

NOTES on i5 vs i7: Comparing this to the i7-4770k, if you are looking for gaming performance, the i7 will give you no advantage. Hyperthreading sometimes gives an extra 1FPS, and sometimes it gives you 1 less. Hyperthreading doesn't really work in games, and I can't recommend an i7 for gaming when this i5 will give you equal performance. If you are looking for more than gaming performance, then hyperthreading can help you out. In gaming, hyperthreading does nothing - and that is the only real difference between i5 and i7.

NOTES ON OVERCLOCKING: The 'k' at the end of the model number means that the CPU is 'unlocked'. This means it can be overclocked. So the i5-4670 cannot be overclocked, but the i5-4670k can. Considering the minimal price difference, go for this unlocked version in case you decide to overclock.

In summary - The best high end gaming CPU for the money = i5-4670k. No CPU will give you better gaming performance. You can buy an i7, but you will see no benefit in GAMING.
on 24 December 2013
One thing is certain, If you are building a new system for "Gaming", this CPU is your choice. With a good mid high end motherboard i.e. a Z87 ASRock Extreme 4, MSI's G45 Gaming or Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D you can easily use its Turbo tech ramping the 3.4 stock speed to 3.8 through the easy UEFI Bios, also you can safely over clock this CPU with Z87 Mobo's I mentioned. This CPU is strong enough that even AMD's FX 6300 and the FX 8350 can't beat it! And it has lower Heat produced while on heavy load (with a good cpu cooler) even when overclocking when compared to AMD CPU's. Personally I recommend to you a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) for CPU cooling, trust me it does a great job for cpu cooling even at over clocking speed under heavy load, and the fact that it is cheaper compared to other brands, this is a must to get if you are in a budget!. With the 212 Evo I am using on my recently build PC, at idle the CPU is at 31 degrees Celsius and on load it doesnt go more than 49 degrees Celsius, and these are its normal operating speed both on idle and with load. Also this CPU has a higher maximum Operating temperature and there is no risk of thermal throttling unlike its AMD counter parts. The main reason I suggest this new Gen CPU is that with a good Z87 Mobo paired with this CPU, later on the line when you have money you can use, you can always easily switchout the CPU for an i7-4770K which uses the same 1150 socket. This is a good precaution as say for example at the moment not much game totally uses the 4 cores of such processors, but if later on the line where games will start to utilize 4 cores/hyper threading etc. then you can easily go for a 4770k if you feel the 4670k is not strong enough for you. But for me and for alot of other people which are in for gaming PC's, This CPU is more than enough for games!
on 4 October 2013
Having had the 4670k I have to say the performance is fantastic. While I was waiting for delivery I was actually getting quite worried, as there seem to be countless horror stories on forums and reviews saying how hot Haswells run, even with aftermarket coolers. This is the last thing I'd want as I can't stand excessive fan noise.
Once I'd finished building my system the first thing I did was check up on the temperatures, both at idle and at load. This thing runs COOL, I'm getting around 28°/30° at idle and 45°/50° during game playing and video encoding. I've used several different softwares to measure the temperature, and I've checked this BIOS - they all give surprisingly low readings. The air expelled from the case is strangely cool too. It turns out I had nothing to worry about regarding 4670's temperature. I'm running it at a slight overclock (3.6GHz), haven't tried any mad overclocking as I feel I don't need the extra speed.
I am using a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 heatsink and fan (with Arctic Silver 5 paste), so I don't know whether my good results are due to the luck of the draw with my CPU, or whether Dark Rock Pro really is that good.
I'm pleased I bought 4670k instead of Ivy Bridge 3570k which is virtually the same price.
Windows 7 and Linux apps absolutely fly using this processor.