5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
It's only been a year since Jo Wheatley's first book hit the stands and already we have a lovely secondinstallmentof Home Baking!!

I would particularly recommendHome Bakingto anyone who may feel a bit unsure about baking in general. Jo's approach is so reassuring and comforting as she assures us that anyone can bake! Saying that there is plenty here for the experienced baker as well.

The book is broken down into ten chapters starting with Biscuits, Bars, and Cookies; Bread and Scones; Cakes; Baking with Children; Crumbles, Tarts, and Pithiviers; Quiches, Pasties, Pies and Savoury Puddings; Quick and Simple Special Occasions; Supper Bakes; and Teatime Treats!

Here is a list of the recipes I can't wait to try:

Oaty Fruit Squares
Tempura Mustard Sausages
Valentine's Salted Caramel Chocolate Pots
Mince Bakewell Tart
Banoffee Eclairs

After reading Jo's books, blog, and following her on other social media sites I can't help but love her down-to-earth personality and family style baking. Following her progress from her win on the GBBO it's hard not to feel like I know her personally as she lets us into her life and kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars She did it again!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
Those of you who avidly watch the Great British Bake Off and follow the contestant's baking journeys post-GBBO will probably know already that 2011 winner, Jo Wheatley, has a new cookery book out! 'Home Baking' is the second book from my favourite GBBO winner and I have to say that, in the short period that I've had a copy of the new book, the new book is already knocking others off the shelf for first-place in my list of 'best baking books'.

Wheatley's style of baking is very much family-centric and it shows throughout the book (i.e. lots of fun, baking photos with family) - something I really like about both this and her previous book. One of the first things I noticed about 'Home Baking' is that the layout is very consistent with Wheatley's previous book (even down to the cover photo which is almost exactly the same pose albeit with a new outfit and new cake. Consistency is something I find very admiring in books from the same author; it's good to be able to identify a number of books with an author just by their appearance. I cannot tell you how many times I've bought books from a single author only find they're deeper or taller (meaning they don't sit flush on my bookcase). Hurrah then, for Wheatley and her band of baking helpers for creating a book that looks good on the outside as well as the inside.

Something else that I noticed almost immediately was that there was a ribbon page/book marker - something I picked up on in my review of Wheatley's previous book. I hate it when cookery books don't have a page marker as I'm someone who will look at a recipe in the morning whilst planning the evening meal, after which I book mark it for later. No ribbon = bits of paper sticking out of books to mark pages - not good! I'm please, then, to see that Wheatley has incorporated one into this book.

Still on the subject of external appearances, 'Home Baking' is slightly thicker than 'A Passion for Baking' - in part, due to extra recipes but also because the front and back covers are thicker and more robust. I like having a sturdy book rather than a flimsy one - it gives a 'high quality' feel to the whole thing. Good choice, team Wheatley!

Now, onto the recipes within!

Wheatley has managed, yet again, to fill a book with delicious recipes which I cannot wait to try out. I have to say I was ecstatic to see a recipe for cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing (I have been looking for a good recipe for months!) I think that the cinnamon roll will be the first I try out when my exams are over. 'Home Baking' is broken down into several chapters from biscuits, bars, and cookies to breads, and tarts. Chapters have also been devoted to baking for special occasions and for baking with children - further emphasising the 'family baking' influence on the book. All temperatures are given in Celsius, Fahrenheit, and gas mark to accommodate most cookers although weights and measures are still only in metric (something which doesn't bother me too much but I know it will irk some my older friends who were taught in imperial). One thing that I particularly like is that, even though it has only been a year or so since her previous book, Wheatley has developed a whole new set of recipes (rather than simply recycling and altering previous recipes - maybe with the exception of the apricot frangipane which seems to be a subtle twist on the plum frangipane in 'A Passion for Baking'.)

On the whole, Wheatley has - yet again - knocked the proverbial ball out of the park with yet another fab book and I cannot wait to put it to good use.

Review taken from my blog at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book from Jo, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
I've loved Jo ever since she first graced our screens on the Great British Bake Off. She's a humble home baker who writes about the food she makes for her family and friends. Her first book, A Passion for Baking is packed full of tasty bakes that anyone could have a bash at. This week I received a copy of her new book, Home Baking. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better... There are bundts in there!

This book is another absolute corker. My mouth was genuinely watering whilst flicking through! It contains the type of recipes that you want to have a bash at on a drizzly Sunday afternoon. Proper comfort food.

The book is split into:
Quick and Simple
Special Occasions
Supper Bakes
Teatime Treats

My first reaction was to ask Jo whether I could move in with her. I'd also need a good surgeon as there is no way my metabolism could tolerate such gluttony. I think part of the appeal is the styling of the photography that accompanies the recipes. Everything looks hearty and home made. There's nothing more daunting than perfect pastry and evenly browned biscuits. Granted, we all want them to look like that but I'm put off recipes where things are too perfect. They scream 'test kitchen', not my kitchen.

Some of my favourite recipes from the book include the ground cinnamon buns, cheesy tear and share bread (above), Christmas cake (in a holiday bundt tin!) and the Portuguese tarts. I adore reading Jo's work and listening to her talking about her baking. She's such a lovely lady. You can just tell that this is a labour of love because it's what she's done for years. She's making cakes for her grand children that come from her own nan's recipes. She even has a section called Baking with Children to encourage readers to show their own families how to bake. My grandma taught me so I fully understand the desire to pass it on.

This is another beautiful book full of little gems from the lady who won our hearts by being a normal mum who bakes for her family. Here's to book number three.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winning home baking book from Jo!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
I loved Jo's first book Passion for Baking and this new one doesn't disappoint at all. When I sat down and read it from cover to cover, I knew it was going to be another winner. I couldn't wait to get into the kitchen and bake! I find Jo's recipes and tips very inspiring. You won't find recipes demanding obscure, impossible to find in supermarkets ingredients here which I love. The recipes look stunning but most importantly achievable. The book is divided into the following chapters:

Biscuits, bars and cookies

Bread and scones

Cakes

Baking with children

Crumbles, tarts and pithiviers

Quiches, pasties, pies and savoury puddings

Quick and simple

Special occasions

Supper Bakes

Teatime treats

My copy is butter splattered and flour dusted already but I think (I hope!) Jo would be quite happy to hear that. Here is what I've made so far...

Raspberry red velvet cake - This is the gorgeous looking cake on the cover - and it tastes as amazing as it looks! Now just to add, you won't get the normal brick red velvet colour here - it's more of an darker, earthier colour due to reducing the amount of red food colouring and using pureed raspberries in the cake batter. A very clever trick! Not that the colour will be on your mind anyway when you take a bite of the finished product! I actually made this when Jo posted the recipe on her website last year and I'm so pleased it made its way into the book because it is a really stunning recipe. One of the best cake recipes I've made over the past few years.

Honeycomb bars - addictive! Whenever I make a batch of these they never last very long.

Chilli chocolate cookies - I was so intrigued by these because I have never tried chocolate and chilli together. They really are so good - love the warmth you get from the chilli! When I took a batch of these cookies into work my colleagues raved about them.

Banana, pecan & butterscotch cake - delicious! Love the combination of banana and butterscotch.

Anzac cookies - my boys gobbled these up in no time! Yummy.

Oaty fruit squares - my favourite recipe from the book so far. They are very yummy. I used up the dried fruits I had in my cupboard - dates, apricots and strawberries. Probably the nicest oat/flapjack bars I have ever tried. I will bake these all the time! Perfect for lunchboxes and keep well.

Lemon and white chocolate muffins - love the flavours in here. I had half a punnet of raspberries that needed using up so I threw them in to the batter. Lovely.

There are many more recipes I will try soon, including peanut butter blondie pie, honey madeleines, lemon, white chocolate & macadamia bombs and parmesan and pesto fantail loaf to name a few.

Home baking is shaping up to be as well used as Jo's first book Passion for Baking. Well done Jo on another fantastic book and I can't wait for the next one!

Review adapted from my blog cookiescakesandbakes.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Lon waited much loved!, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
My New Year’s Resolution of no more cook books has fallen way by the wayside. I am Jo Blogs, I am a cookbook-a-holic, hi group! I know you all have the same addiction as me So this post, I’m sharing with you both a recipe and also a wee cook book review from one of my latest acquisitions (sounds less naughty than purchases doesn’t it?) – Jo Wheatley A Passion For Baking .

For those of you who don’t know (and welcome back from under that stone in that case!) Jo Wheatley won the second series of The Great British Bake Off, a hugely popular British home baker competition which is due to air it’s third series this year and won a Bafta very recently indeed! Now as I watched the series I will admit, I did not fully appreciate the lacking in cock-sure self-assurance Jo. The other big personalities might have over shadowed her a little in the early weeks but as the series progressed and then I discovered her on Facebook after the show finished, what I came to realise about Jo is just how wonderful a home baker and person she is. Her raspberry and apple meringue pie and her show piece, a stunning cabinet decorated with flowers and filled with the most perfectly finished, thoroughly inviting petit fours absolutely blew my mind in particular and these images have remained with me.

So when she released her cook book last week, I knew I had to get a copy. I follow her on Facebook and the personality I’ve come to know from doing so to know is warm, loving, friendly and incredibly giving. She always replies to fans questions really quickly and compliments, even if it is just a simple “like” and she even answers direct messages equally as quickly, despite her huge following of several thousand people and busy home baking classes business and family to boot! She has my admiration. The love for her family and friends comes through loud and proud in this beautiful cook book which she has furnished with a comprehensive selection of what appear to be a collection of bakes she’s done for over 20 years in some cases to some newer innovations, including recipes off GBBO (yay!). A few off her blog and magazine features even made it in to my delight – I’ve made the apple hazelnut streusel cake and chocolate mud cake and both are wonderful. It really seems the sort of manual you could teach yourself to become a proficient baker from if you’re not sure where to start. I think the secret to Jo’s ongoing success is just how “normal” she is – she inspires confidence in you and comes across like a friend, not like the big baking celebrity shes fast become! Today, I thought I’d share Jo’s peanut butter cookies with you and her genius little gem of a tip. So here we go.

Scoop out a simple cookie dough recipe with a rounded, spring loaded ice cream scoop to give uniformity of size and shape. This dough has Demerara sugar in and whole roasted peanuts too – fantastic combo of sweet, crystal crunch and salt right there. Bake for a mere five minutes before, and here’s the genius if somewhat out of left field tip I shall be using for all my cookies hence forth – take the tray out of the oven and bash it, hard, on to your worktop! Oooo, who else gasped a little at the thought of that one?! Well gasp all you like – its inspired and gives you the Ne Plus Ultra chewy cookie texture I’ve never, ever been able to recreate outside of a Subway cookie! This action deflates the puffed up cookie which is returned to the oven for a mere 5 more minutes to finish baking. I encouraged mine to flatten a little by pushing down with a clean oven mitt as they didn’t deflate as much as expected. They did, however, further sink into a slightly underbaked, perfectly textured chewy middle cookie with the barest of crispness around the edges on cooling. As you can see here

Oh I’m so delighted with these I so wish I had gone out for twice as long on my bike this morning so I could eat a whole one, guilt free! But alas, half of one for fatty boom boom me and the rest are packed up for tonight for my lovely girls I work with. Pour yourself a coffee (or grab an ice lolly for those of you enjoying this heat wave right now!), read Jo’s wonderful book and bake some of these cookies for yourself – you will kick yourself for not pre-ordering like I did.

Taken from my blog [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Baking, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
I think Jo Wheatley is fantastic; two years ago she was the winner of The Great British Bake Off. Rather unfairly she was my favourite from the start, after all she is a Mum from Essex who loves to bake - just the same as me. Yet, it was her down-to-earth, unassuming nature, matched by her skill that consolidated my support for her.

Last week I was delighted to receive Jo's second book `Home Baking' to review. I was so impressed with Jo's first book which was much more than I had expected that when her second book came along I was unsure how many more recipes Jo would have. How wrong I was! Jo's second book is bigger than her last, more recipes, a greater variety, and once again real recipes that you actual want to start cooking straight away.

This is why I love Jo, her book is made for real people and with what I call `real ingredients' .... read the rest of the review on my blog [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of reliable good recipes!, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
It is always a good sign when you go through a recipe book and earmark over half of them to cook! While I haven't done all them yet - the ones I have done including Cheesy tear and share bread (great as a BBQ accompaniment), parmesan, chilli and rosemary biscuits (perfect for picnics), Anzac cookies (the children loved them), lime and coconut tray bake, honey madeleines (better recipe than others) and raspberry genoise layer cake to name a few (all reviews can be seen on www.chelseaskitchen.co.uk) have all been successful. With lots of photographs, inspiring recipes and good results this makes it a good cookbook in my view!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
Anyone who loves the series with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, will, no doubt remember Jo, as she battled the various tasks. And a lot of us, fell in love with her gentle charming manner, as she had a success or not so successful bake...we all felt like it was us sharing her joys and sad when she got upset. I bought this out of curiosity, and because Jo felt like a friend/neighbour....and I have pleasantly surprised at the delights within this book. I have tried a few of her recipes and they have worked , I kid you not. I love the pictures and the way the narrative to each recipe, its as if Jo was with you in the kitchen talking to you as you bake and sharing a cup of tea all at the same time....after all, thats what we women do best with our friends, and Jo makes you feel part of her life through her recipes,
Definately would say to buy this book, or her other one...soo pleased i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant second book from Jo..., 14 July 2013
Stacey Woods (Poole, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jo Wheatley - Home Baking (Hardcover)
I've been a big fan of Jo Wheatley ever since she won the Great British Bake Off a couple of years ago, and I reviewed her first recipe book last year.

When I saw that she had a new book coming out, I was expecting another jam-packed volume with beautiful photography and virtually idiot-proof instructions, and that's exactly what I got!

I've made quite a few of the recipes from Jo's first book as they just work really well and there is plenty in Home Baking to tempt you to get baking. Whether your taste runs to sweet or savoury, if you bake on your own or with a kitchen full of children, there is a recipe for you. So far I've made Jo's version of Maryland cookies, the Anzac biscuits and a couple of the bread recipes and each has clear instructions and tips to vary the recipes for your needs.

A lovely book and one I will definitely use regularly!

Jo Wheatley - Home Baking
Jo Wheatley - Home Baking by Jo Wheatley (Hardcover - 2013)
Used & New from: 15.69