Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 23 April 2014
I downloaded this book because I am at a crossroads in my own life. I am in my fifties. I left a job I hated last year. It was the best thing I ever did. I am very broke but a million times happier, I was very scared about leaving for financial reasons but I am still alive and my health is improving day by day. Now I am at a stage where I want to do something I enjoy and earn a living doing it. Very much enjoyed this book. Loved his honesty and kindness. Love his approach to life and people. Am definitely going to look up his blog and other books.
on 4 June 2013
If you're unlucky enough to be an employee, you'll know that the nature of employment is changing rapidly. James tells you why it's changing, how it's changing, and what it will change into. He then tells you what you can do to avoid being destroyed by this change. An entertaining and engaging book written by a true visionary - this is a book that will save your life.
on 11 April 2014
I have read a great number of self help books, some good and some not so good, and this lies somewhere in the middle ground. It has moments of original brilliance that truly inspire you interlaced with rather pretentious passages that don't make much sense or recycle well known material. Sometimes I loved the author's quirky writing style, other times it grated on me. However, overall this is an entertaining, thought provoking read and others might love it judging by some of the other glowing reviews !
on 20 July 2013
Tried a sample and couldn't get my card registered quick enough to buy the full book!

Simple, stylish and downright clever. The blatant honesty of the author is invigorating, his teachings revolutionary.

Wealthy/successful people are considered elite, secretive, and aloof. We nurture misconceptions about 'how the other half live', but Choose Yourself snaps-back on that ever increasing gap, laying a virtual foundation to bridge it.

Bureaucratic hierarchy is slammed as the author invites us, challenges us even, to dare to dream outside the battered old box of social conformity.

With practical advice and step-by-step guides, this book really is a one-for-all must read!
on 1 September 2013
I am in a really good place in my life right now, and already have already Chosen Myself. But I decided to read James' book anyway after listening to an interview he gave, and I am so glad I did!

This boom is far more than just a pep talk, or motivational text. It reminds of of what is truly important in life. For all his past mistakes James is a very clever guy, he has found a way of dealing with the stress of leading a lifestyle and working environment that is highly volatile. This is experience is perfectly inline with what many of us face today, whatever level our careers are currently at.

James I just want to say thank you for helping me even though I didn't even think I needed it. You have given me much to consider, and many things to implement in my daily workflow.

Idea generation is now my top priority each day!
on 23 January 2015
Quite different from any self-help book I've read. I think a lot of people will be reading James' book to make money, and he acknowledges this to an extent, but makes it clear that you'll not be able to do that in a way which works 'with yourself' until you have settled yourself in four areas; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual (he's somewhat disparaging of the term 'spiritual' as it tends to make people think 'more new age attraction guff', but acknowledges that there's no easy way to get across the concept unless you use the word 'spiritual'). He talks of a daily practice (pick one of 26 actions to do each day - some of them are *hard*) and how to become an idea machine (it will take you three months to get going, six months to get good, and a lifetime to master the process). It is packed with useful information and if you spend the time to listen to his podcasts (which he does jointly with his wife, Claudia, and they seem to have a great time doing them!) and read his site you will be very well setup.
It has affected me significantly - I want to set up a group between friends to help ourselves to get better at 'the practice' in the book...

Also, James offers to give the price of the book back to who can prove they bought the book :)

I have no intention of doing that. This is a great book.
on 26 January 2015
I came across this book and the writer (whom I didn't know before) in one of the blogs of Huffington Post. It was about the best 5 books an entrepreneur should read. If you're reading this book, you most likely want to change something in your life, and I rated it according to how it affected me. It moved my brain, my heart, and it taught me things I didn't think of before.
I really liked the tone of voice, him writing like he's talking to you, right across your chair. The plot was a bit disorganized in my opinion, but not so important. The content made me read this book till the end. And I specifically loved the extraordinary examples he gave.
Overall, liked it a lot.
on 13 August 2013
I like the book and enjoyed it very much. However, a great part of the book come from previous books such as " I was blind but I can see" or posts from his website. Anyway, I like reading his posts and publications but would rather to buy a book that I have never read before.
on 25 July 2013
This is an excellent book if you really believe in your self, and also even if you lack real confidence and motivation. It really gives you great advice and techniques to follow to move yourself and your future along. I would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about making big life, or career changes in the near future. A worthwhile read and one that I'll keep returning to again and again. Thanks James Altucher for such an inspirational read.
on 6 June 2013
Read this, do the daily practice and smile at people. A great book, I love the blog, love the book.