False Idols
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.99

on 8 June 2013
All i can say is "thanks Tricky" for writing and releasing such a fantastic CD. Love EVERYTHING you have done, but this is a real treasure that you should be proud of. Saw him recently at the Heaven, London venue, promoting this CD where he was on stage for 2 hours 20 minutes and was reluctant to leave the stage! Brilliant on stage and fantastic on CD!!! Love this - it is up there!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Even though a few of Tricky's albums have been somewhat mediocre I have still bought everything
he has released. I always find something I like on them, an odd spark of genius, even if it's
just a song or three. Like the brilliant "Broken Homes from "Angels With Dirty Faces", "Every Day",
"Early Bird" and "Murder Weapon" from "Mixed Race", the voodoo funk of "Anti Histamine"(From the
"Broken Homes" single), "Smoking Beagles"(collaboration with Sub Sub)and the sad, hypnotic groove
of "Poems" from "Nearly God", an immensely beautiful song.

He will never top "Maxinquaye", an absolute classic and one of very few trip-hop albums that will
be remembered as original, influential and deeply affecting. Maybe it's a bit unfair to compare
everything he has done since 95 to the incredible sounds of his first album, but "Maxinquaye"
set the standard, a potent blend of social commentary, paranoia, melancholy and sexual tension.

The follow up, "Pre-Millennium Tension" is the closest he has come. There are quite a few great
songs on it, especially "Christiansands" and "Makes Me Wanna Die. It's also his darkest, most
claustrophobic album, and will be too weird for some.

"False idols" is one of his most even albums and is a welcome return to form. It has few real flaws,
but it's still somewhat of a frustrating listen. It contains A LOT of good songs, but I think it lacks
the standout songs that stand comparison to his best work, and the production, spare and elegant as it
is, is a little too unruffled and repetitive to make a lasting impression. I see there have been quite
a few 5 star reviews for "False idols" and I have a lot of affection for Tricky, but to say it's just
as good as "Maxinquaye" is a sentiment I don't understand. Only if you prefer trip-hop with smoother,
less inventive beats than those on "Maxinquaye".

Best songs: Nothing Matters, Bonnie & Clyde, Nothing's changed(A reworking of Makes Me Wanna Die),
Valentine and If Only I Knew.
on 17 July 2013
Q gave this only 3 stars. They're wrong. 'Nothing Matters' and 'Parenthesis' are 5*, but 'Nothing's Changed' is off the scale. The rest of the album? To be honest, don't know yet. Those tracks are on permanent repeat and have been for several weeks. I'll let you know about the rest of it later : ))
on 5 June 2013
I've followed Tricky from Maxinequaye through to his latest. There's been highs and lows throughout his career. Of late, he's been back on form and this is a further step forward following the really rather good Knowle West Boy.

There's a familiar feel to the sounds on this, particularly the percussive beats of Valentine, with echoes of Poems from Nearly God.

Tricky has borrowed and covered songs many times, this is no exception with excerpts of Patti Smith's version of Gloria on the opener Somebody's Sins. He even pics out lyrics from his own back catalogue.

If you've liked Tricky in the past, buy this, you won't regret it. I'd also recommend seeing him live, but that's another review.
on 3 February 2014
Tricky has always been on the cusp of greatness, for those who know his work, he has long been there, ready to take hold of his place in the light. If you don't know what he's about then it can be difficult to get into. Unless you put on this album, turn the volume up, sit back and simply enjoy.

'Nothing Matters' is one of the standouts along with the brilliant 'Parenthesis' and the numbing 'Tribal Drums'. 'Nothing's Changed' is another standout In an album that deserves to gain more recognition that it has.

Superb and a real delight for music lovers of all genres.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So hipnotic that I love it. Don't know why. It's not a work of art but it is like a virus. You start listening to it and you can hardly stop. It's a constant wave, making you travel on a calm sea in the night and even if he sings "Nothing's changed", something is changing. A complete world full of art and artists; I never imagined I could have found Chet Baker, Van Morrison, David Sylvian, Japan.... in this record. I love it, but I still don't know why. The virus I had in the 90's never died.
on 9 April 2014
I love Tricky when he's growling along in the dirty muck of albums like PreMillenium Tension. This album seems to swerve from those type of songs when he and/or Francesca Belmonte sings but then gets a bit MOR when Fifi Rong takes over the singing. The sample from Japan's Ghosts is totally wasted and does nothing for a fairly weak song.
on 28 September 2013
After a slightly disappointing last couple of albums, this sees Tricky back on top form. The female singers are absolutely sublime. I was worried that without Maxine T-B
the edge would have gone but it is a fabulous album.
on 20 June 2013
If you like Tricky I'm sure you'll love this. As usual it's a grower so give it 4/5 plays before making any judgement. Some overlap with previous albums but it's been on my pay list every day since getting it :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It tails off a little after the halfway mark, but that first half is top stuff. False Idols shows every indication that Tricky is working up to another landmark album in the not too distant future.