5.0 out of 5 stars A young adult fantasy with a difference
Just reading the first chapters of this book persuaded me to go online to see if there were any more in the series. (Sadly - not yet)
Like The Arabian Nights, this book takes you on an enchanting adventure to foreign places, in this case Egypt, and is filled with magical things, mystical things, incredibly clever things and some very funny things.
John and...
Published on 17 Aug 2005 by Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Why all the excitement?
Published on 14 Oct 2004 by Avidreader

5.0 out of 5 stars A young adult fantasy with a difference, 17 Aug 2005
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
John and Phillipa are twelve year old twins, with a remarkably beautiful and talented mother, and a very rich but not very handsome father, who live a life of luxury in Manhattan. One day, their wisdom teeth appear simultaneously, and they begin the adventure of a lifetime, thanks to some djinnii genes, a wise old uncle named Nimrod, his one-armed butler, and an agoraphopic ancient djinn who really loves keeping himself bottled up.
From New York to London to Egypt and back, the twins' adventures are filled with excitement as they undergo training in the use of their newly discovered magical powers, but are also fraught (I always wanted to use that word) with danger, as they battle the evil tribes of djinn, to preserve the balance between good and evil in the world.
This story gives young adult adventure a push into another direction, and should be fun reading for people who liked Artemis Fowl and The Edge Chronicles.
Put me on the wait list for the next episodes.
Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny & Enjoyable Story, 18 April 2005
Chrestomanci (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Although initially attracted to this book, the few slightly negative Amazon reviews meant that I didn't get around to reading it for several months. Now, having read and thoroughly enjoyed it, I can only assume that the negative remarks were made by rather jaded adult readers who have perhaps forgotten that this is written for children. Most children I know cannot tell the difference, stylistically speaking, between Enid Blyton and Eoin Colfer; what matters to them is whether a book has a good story or not - and this book certainly has.
This is an ideal book for 9/10 year-olds. The writing style is easy to read, the chapters are short, and there's always plenty of action not to mention bucket-loads of humour. I have to admit that there's a slight tendency to overuse the word 'very' - but I find I can overlook the odd little stylistic flaw as long as the plot keeps me hooked. Mr Kerr's past experience in adult thrillers means that he provides his younger readers with both a briskly paced adventure and an intriguing mystery story. Lots of excitement - but nothing too scary for those who want to read it before going to bed.
It probably won't have the same crossover adult appeal of a Harry Potter book, but is certain to entertain most young readers aged 8 - 12, and younger ones too if read out loud to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children of the Lamp: the Akhenaton Adventure by Philip Kerr, 27 Jun 2005
Alexander Eckl (Walton-on-Thames, England) - See all my reviews
The Akhenaton Adventure is an amazing book about two twins, John and Philippe. The two children have normal lives, but when they have their wisdom teeth out at an incredible age it turns into an extraordinary adventure, from an eccentric uncle to being a camel what else can happen?
This is an excellent and exciting read all the way through, unpredictable things happen at unexpected times: I didn't even know what was happening in the museum!
I urge you to read this book, to read a great story. It is a great book demanding to be read and has a strong plot. I would rate it 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Children of the Lamp, 3 Feb 2006
John and Phillipa Gaunt are twa children, but also, as they find out in a dream where their uncle Nimrod tells them that they are djinn and that they must come to Londen to visit him, where he can teach them how to use their powers. They end up going to Egypt in search of the seventy lost djinn of Akhenaten, an evil ghost pharaon. On the way they meet Iblis, the chef of the Ifrit, or the "badies".
I found this book great, and funny. I could hardly put it down. The title makes it sound a bit boring, but it's not at all boring. There was no boring bit, and the story is very logic, but you have to belive in LUCK and MAGIC and GHOSTS and most of all DJINN to appreciate this story. I recommend this book to people who like Egypt and magic and have a sense of humour. I personnaly loved this book and will tell my familly to read it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Why all the excitement?, 14 Oct 2004
This book has been hyped for quite some time now, with a seven figure film deal and the usual "next Harry Potter" tags. Sadly, it doesn't even come close. The writing is dull and listless, with the author trying too hard to be hip and funny, and the story is rather ordinary. The characters are one-dimensional and you never really care about them. It all feels dreadfully forced - P B Kerr is an adult writer and here is straining outside his natural audience I supect. The idea of half djiin children is interesting but hardly desperately original either. Publidhers should stop "elephant hunting" (i.e. lookng for a Potter series) and concentrate on individual books and authors, then we might be spared these rather poor clones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i have ever read!, 2 Jun 2012
I got this book for Christmas along with the second of the series, the Blue djinn of Babylon. Now, I am 13 and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, I recommend it for 12-15 year olds because of the difficult words. I will, without a doubt ask this series of books for christmas and my birthdays in the future, I can't stop reading them! If you are wondering whether to buy this book, what are you waiting for! An amazing book, the best i've ever read in fact! If you love adventures, then this is your book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Mar 2012
I (long past childhood!) really like all the children of the lamp books.

My daughter is now 8 and I introduced her to the first book in the series.
She also loves it, although some words are too difficult for her (admittedly in places the language could be simpler).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 Nov 2010
I loved this book. I am not a child. I am 60 year old. I have read all the other Children of the Lamp books and am looking forward to the next being written.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Akhenaten Adventure, 8 Oct 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Children of the Lamp is the first book of The Akhenaton Adventure series. This book introduces John and Philippa Gaunt, twelve year old twins, who live pretty ordinary lives with their parents. That is, until John suddenly gets a bad toothache. Strangely, the boy's wisdom teeth have already started to grow in and need to be removed immediately. In twinly fashion, Philippa has also gotten her wisdom teeth early and these teeth also need to be removed. This surgery begins a weird series of events beginning with a shared hallucination of the twin's uncle during surgery and leading to a family secret concerning magical Djinn powers.

Children of the Lamp is a delightful magical adventure that will be enjoyed by all ages. Extremely well written, filled with lots of adventurous twists and turns, and completely entertaining. A touch of humour, sarcasm, and quirkiness make the characters more endearing and the storyline even more enchanting. I can't wait for the next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever Written For Us Kids, 5 Feb 2005
Keirsten (United States) - See all my reviews
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I loved this book!!!!! It was funny, scarey,exciting. I felt like I was traveling with John and Phillippa! I've read other books but, all the others took me only two,maybe three days too read. But ' Chldren of the Lamp took me more time to read and relaxed me more!!!!!!! I've read it 3 times alredy. I can not wait for the next book in the series. Sincerely'
Beth