on 2 February 2014
For me as a Musician i tend to listen to a circle of Music from Genesis to Yes and beyond but to find a group so talented that brings a collective of all that i love. in one basket so to speak has given me the strength to pursue my musical ambitions to the full Well done to Simon and the Band Sound Of Contact for an outstanding Album ....
VINE VOICEon 30 May 2013
Quicky review here; Dave Kerzner, Kelly Nordstrom, Matt Dorsey, Wells Cunningham and some drummer (who is not bad by-the-way) really have put their heart & soul into this one. This is their début album and I for one cannot wait for future releases as this is exceptional. This has been a cracking year for the genre that dare=not speak its name with releases by Amplifier, Henry Fool, Lifesigns, Riverside, Sanguine Hum, Spock's Beard and Prog Commander Steven Wilson. The fact that a new band can happily share that company speaks volumes for the standard of care taken on this. Musical ability only goes so far but happily SOC have the songs as well as the chops. All songs top notch. Well done chaps. [PS I notice a previous reviewer had reservations about the production, for what its worth it sounds grand to me but I have old ears.]

I commend this CD to the House.
on 18 January 2014
I bought this after hearing 'Closer to You' on Planet Rock. Didn't realise the Collins connection at the time and it's not important to me. This is just a quality album. You can hear lots of different influences in the tracks - Rush, Yes, Floyd, Porcupine Tree (especially in the first track which had me thinking it was Steven Wilson singing) but I love it on its own merits. Can't wait for the next offering.
on 27 August 2013
If you, like me are of the belief that the best music was created by the prog groups of the 70s then this album is for you, this is not to say this album sounds dated but you can hear the inspiration from the past put together in a nice balance between prog and commercial sounds. Whether it is too commercial for you, you will have to find out but to me the more commercial tracks are an example of how to write a good commercial song. Simons voice seems better than his last few albums, less messing with the voice I think. All-round great musicianship, nice to hear that drum style again, its been missing for a while now!!!.Please note the vinyl version is not 3 discs, it comes with a cd copy of the album. Initial listening seems promising.
on 31 May 2013
Saw them live in Newcastle this month, they were good!!

Bought this album, very very impressed!!

Yes the vocals sound like Phil, good eh!!, but don't expect Genesis, the album breaks new ground, very contemporary, very immersive, strong melodies, strong dynamics, but boy it rocks!! as well.!!

Actually my favourite track is 'Remote View' which has a strong "Dear Prudence" feel to it, and could be a hit single for my money.!!

This band have a great future ahead of them if they can build on this excellent release!!
on 24 December 2013
Cracking cd hopefully this line up will do another, I haven't got a favourite track as they are all really good but "Mobius Slip" reminds me of when early Genesis when they did 20min long tracks. They're a tight band with some clever new progressive rock sounds, Simon Collins has his dads feel on the drums, singing and for song writing, there're obvious influences from Phil Collins or Genesis but Simon isn't standing on his fathers shoulders he is a great musician in his own right.
on 26 October 2015
If you do a lot of driving, or a lot of walking and running and all the songs you know are just two predictable you might want to check out some of the lesser known bands who produce interesting music that can keep your mind occupied for longer than the catchy tunes you are used to hearing.

I've listened to this album a few times now and it is quite complex music (in a good way) and I haven't become too familiar with it yet. I can't really remember how some of the tracks sound, which is quite good for me as I can remember practically every note and every word from my existing music collection, which is well in excess of 5000 albums now.

The music sort of tells a story and expresses moods. I think this is in much the same way that classical music was intended to illicit a visual response, for example Holst's The Planets and Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Obviously this isn't anything like classical music. I would say modern day Genesis and a bit of Rush is a better comparison. Basically modern Prog Rock.

As I said if you want to listen to something a little more intellectually engaging I'd recommend this album.
on 12 October 2015
I must have listened to this album at least 100 times and it hasn't grown in the least bit tired for all of that. This is beautiful music played to perfection. Simon Collins is a great musician and at times I had to do an aural double-take as you can hear his Dad in both his playing and vocal style but he is no mere copyist. This is the work of a musician who has come of age. Sure his influences are clearly defined but he is more than the sum of his component parts. I cannot fault one track, as they are all melodically strong. Standout tracks for me are the exquisitely layered "Beyond Illumination" feat. Hannah Stobart, "Not Coming Down", "Closer To You" and the last track, an extended song cycle entitled "Möbius Slip." This is a beautifully produced album. I have a couple of previous albums by Simon however they haven't hung together quite as well as this so I'm hoping this is a taster of what's yet to come.
on 25 January 2014
I wasn't certain whether to purchase this album or not, (too many memories of 80s Genesis); however my son got it for me for Christmas and I have played it a number of times and I like it, it is not groundbreaking but it is refreshing and has a modern approach on the latter 70s prog sound but has a very much a crossover style with a symphonic feel to it, (and dare I say it - an element of Phil's solo work). If the other half is not into the more obscure sounds then she will like this, nearly all the tracks have a similarity to it but it is very catching and melodic. 2013 has been an excellent year for five star prog and this cannot compete, (Haken, Steven Wilson, Fright Pig, Birds and Buildings etc).
on 19 June 2015
I don't normally write reviews but when I heard this it just blew me away! Listeners are inevitably going to make comparisons with his father but I also hear a lot of Peter Gabriel in Simon's voice. The musicianship and production values on this cd are awesome! There is a nod to everyone from Genesis to Floyd to Yes to The Police to Camel. The nay-sayers will just say its a rip off from the bands influences. I just embraced the music for what it is - the sounds I first heard in my youth and thought I would never hear a fresh version - just having to rely on my back catalogue. Hats off to Sound of Contact for releasing on of the best albums I've heard in a long, long, long time!