5.0 out of 5 stars Lament for the living, 16 July 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Couldn't put it down once I'd started. Usually read chic lit so a definite change, from an up and coming author. Can't wait for the next one. Don't be put off by the zombie reference there's a good storyline about society there to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Reading, 6 July 2013
If you are reading these reviews you are probably thinking of reading the book. Definately read the book, it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely recommend reading, 16 Jun 2013
I didn't quite know what to expect when I started reading Lament for the Living, but it's safe to say that since I finished it later that day, I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Furthermore, I found myself sucked right in to the story, which is probably why I really couldn't put it down. David Nicol employs an interesting narrative style that only shares a glimpse into each characters past, giving the reader an opportunity to relate/empathise with them, as well as filling in the blanks of the characters as you progress.

While reading, I was often surprised with the consideration to the finer details of a post apocalyptic world, considering the little things that make all the difference, many of which I'd never have considered if I were to write something similar. I feel David's balance between enticing you with the fictional basis for his story, as well as reinforcing the possible reality of the situation, makes for a compelling read overall.

As debut novels go, I was truly impressed with the quality of Lament for the Living, and would heartily recommend it to anyone who's looking for a well written novel set within a zombie/apocalyptic setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great zombie book from a new author, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lament for the Living (UK Edition) (Kindle Edition)
Sacks is one of the Sanctuary survivors, she patrols the area surrounding the Sanctuary every day but wants to be a Ranger (who travel further). When she finally gets her chance to go out with the Rangers, another group threatens the very existence of the Survivors and the peace they've created.

Nicol has created a world full of uncertainty and fear. He makes us feel for the zombies with the first chapter following a man that eventually gets Infected, this same man is also how we're introduced to Sacks and the Sanctuary. Sacks was saved when the outbreak first began and has only really known the Sanctuary as home since so seeing the Sanctuary being attacked through her (and other survivors' eyes) is particularly heart-string-tugging (if you're so inclined). It's like seeing your own home being terrorised.

Nicol's zombies are more old school than some of the ones in literature lately. They're slow and shambling, moaning and groaning and completely driven towards to people for feeding - they don't have thoughts and feelings like a lot of the modern ones do, and I really enjoyed reading them this way. Also, and I told Nicol this already as I was beta reading it, the character of Alex is so maniacally unhinged that I can't help but liken him to Begby from Trainspotting.

If you like old-school zombies and indie authors, this is recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Lament for the Living (UK Edition) (Kindle Edition)
"Lament for the Living" by David Nicol is an action packed and well written apocalyptic Zombie story with some added elements to distinguish itself from the regular run of the mill helpings of the genre.
In it a group of survivors are led by Tobias and his 'rangers', a group of warriors who hunt and gather for the remaining survivors in the Sanctuary, while trying to stay safe from the Zombies and other threats to their life.
Nicol has written a set of great characters, likeable and well developed, the story is very gripping. Well worth a read for all fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all Zombie Fans, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Lament for the Living (UK Edition) (Kindle Edition)
Lament for the Living has run me though all kinds of emotions from beginning to end.

The author introduces the background to the main characters at the right time and the storyline is superb. Yes it is 'fictional' but credible which is testament to how this was written and you can tell that he is a true fan of this 'genre'

I will admit that I don't read a lot of books but having started to read it, I just couldn't put it down. I've now finished the book and the only negative I have to say is that we have to wait until 2014 for the next instalment. I for one can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for a fast paced horror novel, then you're going to love this.., 11 May 2013
PJ White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lament for the Living (UK Edition) (Kindle Edition)
It's easy to see that the author grew up watching and loving the classic zombie genre movies (As did I) and with these in mind, he has pushed the boundaries for the genre to the next level, in what is a disturbing and emotive work of fiction. "Lament For The Living" is a good read that has well sculpted characters and it's enjoyable story telling will leave the reader wanting to soak up the next instalment immediately.

Lament for the Living (UK Edition)